DRAGONBORN-Miraak fix wayaround (Console)

reisack

I went back to the basics for this issue, my load order.

I moved my Unofficial Dragonborn Patch to be the last Unofficial patch to load, and left all my other mods as LOOT had sorted them.

The issue was resolved, everything ran and completed as designed.

I hope this helps someone.

(perhaps worth noting that I use Mod Organizer to handle my Skyrim mods)

(please let me know if this works for Nexus also, as I'm too lazy to check myself...)

Good Hunting.

I used to have problems with this quest til i found out how to fix it without having to beat your head against a wall, no console typing, no missing out on loot, all i did was IF!!! i was a higher level than what the quest called for was lowered my level to the actual quest it'self, i also stopped using heavily op weapons, as pushing phases will guarantee a glitched boss fight, after he goes into first phase focus on the dragons not Miraak he uses the dragons to heal himself, without them he can't so you have to do this the three times it calls for, to push each phase, once all the dragons are dead and you have him all the way down again, the cut scene should start, but i know for a fact that if any of you are using the unoffical patch mod, get rid of it til after this fight, it has missing scripts, and it does cause this fight to fail, by doing these simple changes, you can finish the boss fight the way it's meant to be fought, and also get your loot at the end.

Just to to make sure this worked everytime, i went and releoaded to where the dragon picks me up and i succussfully finished it five times in a row, i hope this helps, but any patches or any mods conflicting with scripts ect, will mess this quest up.

Edited by shep8234

Turns out my problem was Thanatos Dragon. Deactivating that worked, but I had to go make a drastically OP dagger in CK to kill my dragon right away, and then everything worked out. Dragons needed to lose their lives before Miirak in order to beat the quest for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm rather confidant that uninstalling mods, animation or otherwise is not a true solution to the problem with Miraaks fight, the reason is that back before I used mods I owned Skyrim for Xbox 360 and was having these exact issues where Miraak would bug out in all sorts of aggravating ways, from failing to absorb the dragon souls, being permanently stuck in ethereal form and teleporting into his hidy holes only to vanish forever.

These glitches persisted even after I got Skyrim for PC, before AND after using mods, even after installing the big unofficial skyrim patch, Miraak still to this day remains the buggiest, troll-iest asshole in the flippin game lol, so for the sake of future playthroughs, I hope someone could take a good hard look at his script code for his fight and untangle whatever mess its in cos its clearly broken.

The only non-console workaround I've noted (and even this is hit and miss) is to chip his health down as SLOWLY as possible and every time he talks WAIT until he finishes first before attacking, aside from his initial rhetoric mid fight, Miraak has many scripted lines of dialogue, which serve as health milestones in a sense, he has a script line or action (example: Teleporting) for seemingly every 10% of his total health u take off, this means that if u manage to chunk off 20% or more of his health too quickly, or when he's in the middle of saying something, his scripts start tripping over each other for priority, eventually ceasing to fire, this has always happened in the game thanks to Bethesda's terrible bug testing. (O_O)

I hope someone out there with the skills can fix this cos I've never found a non immersion breaking fix for this as of yet. :/

P.S I would guess that changing some of his scripted actions to make them happen in a non scripted way, may fix at least some of his bugginess, like making his ethereal/teleporting non scripted behavior, if that is possible, or so its not tied with how much health he's lost, else someone may have to overhaul his fight completely. ;)

• 1 year later...

I lowered my level to 1, allowed Miraak to kill his first two dragons, and used resethealth on him. When he kept calling the (dead) second dragon while the third was still attacking him, I disabled the third one which finished the quest for me and activated the exit book. Miraak was still running around, so I disabled him. Enabling him again impaled him nicely but didn't kill him, so I disabled him again, ignored everything I might have been able to loot from him, and went home.

This is terribly scripted - his health shouldn't be tied to the player's.

Thanks for all the helpful hints, especially for the tipp on how to stop the annoying combar music.

It's not tied to the player's health. The script is a complete unorganized mess and very unreadible, I don't know how Arthmoor was able to tackle that without losing his mind. I'm guessing the dev that wrote that was in some kind of hurry. Anyway, you can see how it was fixed(and what was going on that had to be fixed) here: https://afktrack.iguanadons.net/index.php?a=issues&i=17290

• 5 months later...