"Starts Dead" actor is not dead

Aelthwyn

It worked beautifully the first time I tested. But since then I've reloaded the same save which was before going to the area with the actor I wanted to start dead and she was very much alive upon my arrival.

I don't know if it makes any difference that this isn't a new character I've created, but a vanilla one that I just ticked the "starts dead" box on. Is there anything more other than just ticking that box that needs to be done for it to work?

Do not use 'Save Files' to do testings but instead 'COC' to that cell to check things, b using 'Save Files' things will be baked into the file as they are at THAT TIME of the creation of the save file.

Do not use 'Save Files' to do testings but instead 'COC' to that cell to check things, b using 'Save Files' things will be baked into the file as they are at THAT TIME of the creation of the save file.

I made a new game with no mods, saved in riverwood and quit. activated the mod i wanted to test and loaded that save, then did coc to the location which I had not previously visited on that save.

The first time I did that the npc was dead. Then I changed something else in that mod not related to that character, loaded that same riverwood save and did coc to go back and check new changes and that npc was alive.

Then clearly is a stupid mistake on your part, check or remove and replace the dead npc.

Believe me that even experienced modders make stupid mistakes !, i've been doing a full mod's test to the last version of my ACT II, and i just discovered (5 min ago) a Stupid Mistake !, well... it's more like forgeting something that needed to be add...!!

Hi.

I have found that I got a lot of overwrite errors when testing my current mod which involves some new npcs and cells. I have solved the situation by doing 3 things:

1. each time I load a game to test the mod I make sure it's from an old save where the mod has never affected the save

2. after I've tested a mod and want to make changes, I first uninstall the mod through Vortex, then I CHANGE THE NAME of the mod before doing any future work. eg, I change it from 01_testcell_a to 01_testcell_b. This seems to prevent either the CK or the game from remembering it in any way at all.

3. Make a backup of the newly named file before I continue work.

Then, when I install from file in Vortex to check my mod there are no issues like you're describing. Works 100% even if it is a tad tedious.

I have experienced similar stuff to what you're describing; in an apothecary shop I'm making new things would not appear, the vendor would become mute, stuff would vanish etc...but since using the above system NO ERRORS at all.