Fresh install of Oblivion crashes on start

Zodiark10

Ok, i am stumped. This has me irriated to no end.

I had installed Quarls Texture Pack ( QTP ) and it was way too much for my laptop ( lol i know. ) to handle. Plus i needed a clean install because i have over 100 mods. So i uninstalled oblivion, Wrye Bash ( wich wasent working anyway. I dident install oblivion outside of the vanilla folders >.< ) Construction set, totally cleared the data folder, and uninstalled OBMM and BOSS.
Totoally got everything oblivion related off my computer. Then i went to reinstall to a diffrent directory:
C:/Games/Bethesda Softworks/Oblivion
and when i started Oblivion launcher ( keep in mind i have total vanilla oblivion right now. No mods, no KOTN no SI. ) i immediatly knew something wasent right because it dident ask my graphics settings. I normally get told that my graphics settings are on medium quality. This time it dident ask at all.
Now to the final point of my anger. I click play, and i am ungodly lucky if i get to see the Bethesda logo before it gives me a CTD.
I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling over four times, changeing my install directory to default, and just cleaning the disk with a cloth and window cleaner. Nothing is working. I love this game, it has been my life for three years. It has always been giving me problems, wich i always somehow fix. But this one is scaring me a bit. I dont know if this means i will have to give it a break untill i get a new computer ( that wont be a laptop xD ) or something else. But if anybody can help me, or give me tips on what to do, it would be very very appriciated.
Thanks ^.^

~DJS~

Have a look through Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure and see if you see anything mentioned there that you didn't do or did differently. And I agree with discover1 that your old install's Oblivion.ini file could be messing things up. You could try just renaming Oblivion.ini to Oblivionini.old and then restart the game as far as the menu. Exit the game and then restart. You may need to reset your video options etc as Oblivion doesn't do well discovering hardware that wasn't invented the last time the game was updated by Bethesda.

and when i started Oblivion launcher ( keep in mind i have total vanilla oblivion right now. No mods, no KOTN no SI. ) i immediatly knew something wasent right because it dident ask my graphics settings. I normally get told that my graphics settings are on medium quality. This time it dident ask at all.

I'm with discovery1 on this; it's a sign that you never deleted your old \Documents\My Games\Oblivion\oblivion.ini file. When you do delete it, and run the game from the launcher, it will then re-detect your hardware and you get the dialog about the graphics settings.

Hmm. Used windows search ( i know xD i have nothing else. ) i searched "ini" and found a ini file called "Oblivion" so i opened the file location and found it in my documents...thats just odd.
Anyway i deleted that folder, uninstalled oblivion again. Now i am doing a clean install ( better safe then sorry ). I hope that will fix it.

EDIT: it worked!!! >:D
I got the message saying "Video hardware unreconized" so it defaulted my video settings to medium ( hey at least i got a message this time ).
i clicked play and it launched perfectly fine. Thank you so much!! :D

free hugs (>^_^)> <(^.^<)

~DJS~

Edited by Zodiark10