No matter which ENB I use, the DOF won't work. Any ideas?

hitheresunshine

I'm currently using Fimbulvinter v3.0, which I'm very, very happy with, only I've noticed that, no matter what I do, the Depth of Field effect doesn't work. I tried multiple other ENBs, but no matter what, the DoF never, ever works.

I even tried importing my settings from my desktop (where the DoF works perfectly fine), but that didn't work either.

I'm running Skyrim on a laptop with 16 gigs of RAM, with 4 gigs of RAM dedicated to the Nvidia GeForce GTX 675mx graphics card, if that helps or anything.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm kind of going crazy trying to figure this out.

ENB DOF doesn't rely on Bethesdas DOF in any way to the extent where you can disable (set to 0) the .ini line that was mentioned. ENB DOF is simply activated within the enbseries.ini (in the [ENGINE] section - EnableDepthOfField=true) and runs from the settings and code within enbeffectprepass.fx.

For a quick test I've just installed the ENB that Fimbulvinter v3.0 uses (v121212) then overwrote these files with Fimbulvinter v3.0 files and DOF worked fine for me.

For testing purposes, have you tried both the wrapper and injector versions of ENB (I personally always use the injector version so I don't have any d3d9.dll conflicts)?

Even though I don't use laptops anymore, perhaps the GPU on your one doesn't support the rendering features required to run DOF. I really don't know though so I could be talking rubbish here.

If all else fails and you're totally stuck for options, I normally find the quickest way to troubleshoot a major issue is to simply reinstall Skyrim and test just the mod that's in question. I know this sounds a bit extreme, but if you make a Steam Backup of Game Files as soon as Skyrim (plus DLCs) has downloaded then a complete reinstall should only take a matter of minutes.

NB DOF doesn't rely on Bethesdas DOF in any way to the extent where you can disable (set to 0) the .ini line that was mentioned.

yes right, i was using Dynavision with Perfect Enb thats why you need it set to 1.

@@

I've tried it with bDoDepthOfField at 1 and 0, my ENB prefs has the DOF enabled, and nothing really works. I was actually thinking of reinstalling, and it wouldn't take so long, I think. I'll try the wrapper version, first, then do a reinstall, see if that works. Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on if something works.

• 7 months later...

I've tried it with bDoDepthOfField at 1 and 0, my ENB prefs has the DOF enabled, and nothing really works. I was actually thinking of reinstalling, and it wouldn't take so long, I think. I'll try the wrapper version, first, then do a reinstall, see if that works. Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted on if something works.

same problem, I tried every way,searched a lot, still can not get the DOF back.

• 10 months later...

Guys? I can't get damn DoF to work. Tried different presets, deleted Skyrim.ini/SkyrimPrefs.ini. No use :C

ENB settings have absolutely nothing to do with Skyrim.ini or Skyrimprefs.ini. They have solely to do with enblocal.ini provided when your ENB is correctly installed. I unfortunately have zero experience with your ENB (I've only ever really used RealVision) so I won't be any help as to how to setup your particular ENB. What I can tell you however is that the #1 reason why people have issues with something not working with their ENB is because they have not correctly setup their ENB Binaries which is the core essential component for any ENB mod to work for any game, Skyrim or otherwise. If you don't have the binaries setup properly, no ENB will ever work. Ever.

Official Skyrim ENB Binary Download Page:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/zhalls/Skyrim%20Troubleshooting/ENB%20troubleshotting/enbbinarydownload.jpg

The next part is tricky for me to explain because I have no idea how or what your specific ENB requires to be installed, be it via the wrapper binaries method or the injector binaries method. You need to review your ENB nexus page for exact installation directions.

For example:

RealVision requires wrapper, and all I need to do as far as binaries is concerned is placing the wrapper version of the following two files into my Skyrim game folder (the same folder as TESV.exe).....

d3d9.dll

enbhost.exe <----Never execute this exe. Ever. (Unless your ENB says to, but that's highly unlikely)

....and then from there, rely on the RealVision installer to do everything else for me as far as creating the required enblocal.ini that you need to setup DoF and every other ENB specific function of the ENB Mod.

A way to test if your binaries are installed correctly (regardless if you have an actual ENB mod installed) is to boot up the game and observe the following obvious artifacts:

A picture of my Skyrim loading page upon booting up the game:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/zhalls/Skyrim%20Troubleshooting/ENB%20troubleshotting/enbbinaryinstalled.jpg

There are also a handful of other reasons why your ENB is not functioning, but this is usually the primary reason, so if you dont see the ENB binaries info at the top left hand side of your screen upon booting up the game, that is an indicator that you have no active enblocal.ini among other things.