Vortex newbie

Modox37
Go to solution Solved by AugustaCalidia,

Hi everyone,

New to vortex but not NMM. I recently have a new computer and have 2ssd's. I've placed my games on the second drive (D), download vortex, registered properly, and followed the suggested place to put mods (D>vortex>witcher3>mods). I did try to place mods under D>steamlibrary>games>tw3>mods but vortex won't allow me. Even so, I did place them in there.

I did enable the mods but have not yet deployed them because I just recently read about them, I still don't know how to tho. I'm wondering if this is my issue. Or maybe I need to make the game know where to find my mods, I also don't know how to do this.

Tried tw3 but no mods that I've added are in there. I think they aren't there because i downloaded demon slayer nichiri katana mod and went to hattori but he doesn't have the weapon.

Is there a forum or video that's shows how to download vortex and mods probably while having two ssd's?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Number of SSDs does not matter. I would use D: just to keep your games off the boot drive. Neatness and all.

I do recommend a different name, like D:\Vortex Mods. Vortex will add a game specific subdirectory for TW3.

For a simple Tutorial, start here. Gopher has a series of these:

@rmm200,

Thank you, I'll be checking the video out. I do have vortex on my D: and have place the directory into D: vortex games.

@HadToRegister,

So I do have both tw3 game and the vortex mods file on D:, is it necessary for them to be on C:? Would you further explain what you mean by mod staging folder? At the moment I have the vortex folder separately from the streamlibrary folder.

Thanks for the help.

One thing I did on my system, which kind of hides the Documents problem, is that I have Windows move Documents (and Downloads) from my C: to my D:.

Don't manually try to move these; let Windows do it if you go this route.

I am picky about my boot drive; if it is not Windows related, I don't want it there.

• Solution

@HadToRegister is correct - "The Witcher 3" is a weird one. For hardlink deployment to work, you need to have the game, the mod staging folder, and the game settings folder all on the same drive. The game settings folder is "The Witcher 3" located in your Windows Document folder from which it cannot be moved. Since Documents is installed to drive C:\ by default, then you need to install the game and the mod staging folder to that drive as well.

Here is a suggestion that may or may not work. Use at your own risk. Try relocating Documents to drive D:\, as @HadToRegister and @rmm200 suggested. WARNING: under no circumstances should you try to cut and paste the Documents library to drive D:/! Rather, use the special move function that Windows utilizes for Windows library folders, as @rmm200 has already suggested.

Edited by AugustaCalidia

All,

I've never had to move things without copy paste, Except for getting steam to create a new steam library to D:. Would someone link how to properly do as you mention. I do know that in my C: I do have tw3 save games, I was surprised. Should I uninstall game and vortex completely and reinstall in C:?

Thank you for all the information.

Open the Windows File Manager.

In the left margin click Documents (for example)

On left margin Documents right click and select Properties. That will open the Documents properties window.

That window has six tabs. Select the one called Location.

Here you can set a path to wherever you want the Documents folder to, and Windows will move all the files for you. Has always worked great for me.

For mine, I picked the path I:\Users\Robert\Documents

I think the process is fool proof, but I have been surprised before. I can't be held responsible for what you do to your system...

All,

Went on to Steam and move tw3 to C: and now its on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3 and mods are on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\Mods. Went to see where Vortex and found it in C:\Users\Dumpling\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\witcher3\mods.

After seeing all the mods I have downloaded in C:\Users\Dumpling\AppData\Roaming\Vortex\witcher3\mods I enable them in Vortex, ran the game but no Nichirin (Katana). Also, I'm only checking if the katana is there because this would possibly tell me if everything else is properly loading, I think. I don't see any mods under :\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\Mods and I don't know if I should because Vortex has them all under its folder.

Should I be reinstalling the mods under :\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Witcher 3\Mods? I'll probably try something like this or maybe it's because I have not deployed the mods? Not sure yet what deploying mods is or how to.