Trouble installing mods

Roguetinkerer

• 2 months later...

I went through and completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I deleted everything that I possibly could delete (which confused the F out of Vortex... I think it's been permanently broken by this). Still, no dice. I can create an unmodded profile just fine. If I install a mod. Any mod. Through Vortex, through Candor, or through Laughing Leader's Mod Manager... then I'm right back to the skybox testing area.
I even dropped the nrd_killstory file in both the game mods folder and the documents mods folder... still nothing.

Edited by BlauerDrakken

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if anyone has found a work around for this. I'm currently playing the GOG version of Baldur's Gate 3 (v4.1.83.2651) and I've been having the same problem as everyone else here, I've tried every mod installer that is currently out there, either the mods don't work or skybox test mode happens. I have 2 suspicions of why this is.

1) Any BG3 mod manager is possibly not handling mods as intended and any mod pak file added to your game's load order is being recognized as either a test build or blank story.

Side Note: Vortex doesn't handle BG3 game profiles too well, it often behaves as if there isn't one and has constant notification spams of being unable to adjust load order when reopening Vortex after it being closed.

2) Patch3ModFixer is possibly not being recognized so your mods are handled correctly.

Wither either of these being the case or both, none the the less I feel the game needs a better way on how mods are installed. Let's face it, pak mods for this game appears to be an unnecessary hassle for modders and users both as well as the modded pak files seemingly being the problem.

The classic override routine of dropping loose files into the the game directory seems to be the best alternative, given it's data structure being kept in mind. It is possible to have a mod engine scripted to doing this so modded loose files can be installed and later be uninstalled if needed with just a click of a button.

I feel all modders should have a loose files version of their mods for this in case situation. I'd also like to note Baldur's Gate 3 is still an open beta atm and I feel it is way too soon to be making pak mods to a game with occasional large updates, at least until it's final release.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a work around for this. I'm currently playing the GOG version of Baldur's Gate 3 (v4.1.83.2651) and I've been having the same problem as everyone else here, I've tried every mod installer that is currently out there, either the mods don't work or skybox test mode happens. I have 2 suspicions of why this is.

1) Any BG3 mod manager is possibly not handling mods as intended and any mod pak file added to your game's load order is being recognized as either a test build or blank story.

Side Note: Vortex doesn't handle BG3 game profiles too well, it often behaves as if there isn't one and has constant notification spams of being unable to adjust load order when reopening Vortex after it being closed.

2) Patch3ModFixer is possibly not being recognized so your mods are handled correctly.

Wither either of these being the case or both, none the the less I feel the game needs a better way on how mods are installed. Let's face it, pak mods for this game appears to be an unnecessary hassle for modders and users both as well as the modded pak files seemingly being the problem.

The classic override routine of dropping loose files into the the game directory seems to be the best alternative, given it's data structure being kept in mind. It is possible to have a mod engine scripted to doing this so modded loose files can be installed and later be uninstalled if needed with just a click of a button.

I feel all modders should have a loose files version of their mods for this in case situation. I'd also like to note Baldur's Gate 3 is still an open beta atm and I feel it is way too soon to be making pak mods to a game with occasional large updates, at least until it's final release.

Hopefully I can help and pick apart what might actually be going on.

So, the test area is what happens if no story (eg Gustav/Act 1) is loaded into the game. Technically, Gustav is itself a mod, which is why it is required to be in the modsettings.lsx. In patch 2, the game would check the story file stored in Baldur's Gate 3\Data\Mods\Gustav\Story\RawFiles\ and still load mods (but with the story message coming up). Since patch 3, the game doesn't store a separate story file any more, thus requiring the patch 3 mod fix (or a mod that includes the fix like mine) in your local mods folder.

Now, you can store many mods in the local mods folder (typically "C:\Users\User_\Documents\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\Mods") and still play the game without a modded experience, since (for most things at least) the modsettings.lsx file (typically "C:\Users\User_\Documents\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles/Playerprofilenamehere/modsettings.lsx") is the key to getting mods appearing in-game. I've seen a few guides advising to set modsettings.lsx as read-only, but that's a terrible idea as if the changes are not staying, there's something wrong with one (or more) of the mods installed, or the syntax within modsettings.lsx

Let's remove as many of the problematic factors out of the way as possible and find out why exactly the test area keeps showing up:

1. Ensure that the patch 3 mod fixer or a mod with the patch 3 mod fix is stored in your local mods folder. We're not getting anywhere without this.

2. You can back it up first, but delete your profile's modsettings.lsx file. For the time being, we don't need it.

3. Open BG3 and start a new game with the same profile. You should now be able to access CC (character creation) without the test area showing, and a brand new modsettings.lsx file would be created.

If this is not the case, then either 1/2 have not been done, or there is a mod causing this to happen. You may need to at this stage clear your local mods folder of all but the patch 3 mod fix. If it's still happening after this, verify your game files.

At this point, add/install one mod. Use Candor/BG3 mod manager for best results. Ideally a character creation mod, so you can see it clearly/know straight away if it has worked. If it's not working, then it's either an issue with the mod or the install process.

Once we have one mod working, we can start adding more. It doesn't need to be one-by-one, but it's easier to see which mod might be the problem if you're installing in stages. If adding a particular mod/set of mods breaks CC, then remove until it doesn't. Is there a conflict between two different mods? Is anyone else experiencing the same with the particular mod that caused it?

For myself, I have been using mods for 5+ months via manual installation and BG3 mod manager. Knowing xml helps, but it really isn't required, especially with the mod managers doing this all for you.

Are pak files themselves inherently the problem? Nope. Gustav is a modded pak file. Each mod should be its own self-contained module by design. Loose files come with their own set of issues. Without pak files, multiple progressions/spell list changes cannot be made as loose files in tandem without trying to merge files together. The way that some of my mods work (RAW Smites, Custom Lineage with More Feats) require multiple pak files to work correctly because it's overwriting the original values within the pak placed above it. There isn't a tool to combine mods together for BG3 either.

Ultimately, modding BG3 during the open beta without official support is harder, but not a problem. The class mods for example are some of the most popular, purely because there is the demand to play them now before official release. Would it be a better experience to hold off on modding until the final release? Yes, but you could also say this for any play-through in early access.

If you are still having issues after this, the best place to ask is the BG3 official discord. Message in the bg3-mod-help channel

Hopefully I can help and pick apart what might actually be going on.

So, the test area is what happens if no story (eg Gustav/Act 1) is loaded into the game. Technically, Gustav is itself a mod, which is why it is required to be in the modsettings.lsx. In patch 2, the game would check the story file stored in Baldur's Gate 3\Data\Mods\Gustav\Story\RawFiles\ and still load mods (but with the story message coming up). Since patch 3, the game doesn't store a separate story file any more, thus requiring the patch 3 mod fix (or a mod that includes the fix like mine) in your local mods folder.

Now, you can store many mods in the local mods folder (typically "C:\Users\User_\Documents\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\Mods") and still play the game without a modded experience, since (for most things at least) the modsettings.lsx file (typically "C:\Users\User_\Documents\Larian Studios\Baldur's Gate 3\PlayerProfiles/Playerprofilenamehere/modsettings.lsx") is the key to getting mods appearing in-game. I've seen a few guides advising to set modsettings.lsx as read-only, but that's a terrible idea as if the changes are not staying, there's something wrong with one (or more) of the mods installed, or the syntax within modsettings.lsx

Let's remove as many of the problematic factors out of the way as possible and find out why exactly the test area keeps showing up:

1. Ensure that the patch 3 mod fixer or a mod with the patch 3 mod fix is stored in your local mods folder. We're not getting anywhere without this.

2. You can back it up first, but delete your profile's modsettings.lsx file. For the time being, we don't need it.

3. Open BG3 and start a new game with the same profile. You should now be able to access CC (character creation) without the test area showing, and a brand new modsettings.lsx file would be created.

If this is not the case, then either 1/2 have not been done, or there is a mod causing this to happen. You may need to at this stage clear your local mods folder of all but the patch 3 mod fix. If it's still happening after this, verify your game files.

At this point, add/install one mod. Use Candor/BG3 mod manager for best results. Ideally a character creation mod, so you can see it clearly/know straight away if it has worked. If it's not working, then it's either an issue with the mod or the install process.

Once we have one mod working, we can start adding more. It doesn't need to be one-by-one, but it's easier to see which mod might be the problem if you're installing in stages. If adding a particular mod/set of mods breaks CC, then remove until it doesn't. Is there a conflict between two different mods? Is anyone else experiencing the same with the particular mod that caused it?

For myself, I have been using mods for 5+ months via manual installation and BG3 mod manager. Knowing xml helps, but it really isn't required, especially with the mod managers doing this all for you.

Are pak files themselves inherently the problem? Nope. Gustav is a modded pak file. Each mod should be its own self-contained module by design. Loose files come with their own set of issues. Without pak files, multiple progressions/spell list changes cannot be made as loose files in tandem without trying to merge files together. The way that some of my mods work (RAW Smites, Custom Lineage with More Feats) require multiple pak files to work correctly because it's overwriting the original values within the pak placed above it. There isn't a tool to combine mods together for BG3 either.

Ultimately, modding BG3 during the open beta without official support is harder, but not a problem. The class mods for example are some of the most popular, purely because there is the demand to play them now before official release. Would it be a better experience to hold off on modding until the final release? Yes, but you could also say this for any play-through in early access.

If you are still having issues after this, the best place to ask is the BG3 official discord. Message in the bg3-mod-help channel

That is a ton of useful insight, that helps me understand how things work a little better. One thing I haven't tried is doing one mod at a time, I've mainly been using mods that add spells and cantrips, but here is a list of what I've been attempting. Keep in mind, this isn't in order on how I install them. Also this is only the pak files not the directory cosmetic installs.

5e Cantrips, 5e Spells, 8 Short Rests, Background Feats, Basket Outfits NSFW, CC Added Colors, Dodge Action Extra, More Vampire Bites, Feats Extra, Melee Cantrips, More Feats, Powerful Characters (Legendary), Search The Room, Vampire Spawn Background, Weapon Skills Extra, Werewolf Background, XP Unlocker and of course Patch3ModFixer.

There is a chance I could've goofed up my load order. However I did install accordingly to the authors requirements. Unless I missed something. A double check from another pair of eyes would be great for load order.

CAC has always launched btw, it's after the creation is when skybox would launch and during CAC all my mods would appear to be working, it's just on the actual game "Venture Forth" is when things get weird. I've also come across the same Improved UI glitch as another poster here mentioned. I dunno why it occurs but it's certainly an eye sore. Perhaps patch 4 changed something and Improved UI no longer works as intended? I'll be straight with ya, I started on patch 4 so I'm unaware of how things actually used to be, so this is only speculation.

Tonight I'll give it a go on narrowing down what mod is breaking my game or maybe it's the load order or both. Either way, if I figure it out tonight I'll post my load order and what the issue actually seems to be.

Okay so I've tried 4 different mod installs with just a solo install, no dependencies and stopping there. This is with Candor Manager and using Patch3ModFixer. Every single mod I install launches skybox after CAC. I've been doing the same thing from the very beginning with keeping a back up of my modsettings.lsx and removing mods from my mod folder except the mod patch. I'm definitely not new to modding, I've personally modded over 20 titles as a personal hobby with no asking of help until this game. I'm absolutely stumped with this particular title. I dunno what the hell is going on with it. I may end up finding myself on the discord channel for help.

I haven't used gog, are you gog or steam? I'm sure you've verified files, your games says the correct version, you not on patch 3 or something in steam. You have full access to the game folder. Your system exceeds minimum specs, all others games work perfectly, all drivers etc up to date. I assume single player and online works fine.

Hope you can get it sorted.

Hello, first sorry for my bad English it is not my native language.

I have a big problem for the last few days that I can't figure out myself.

When I start the game with the candor mod manager and then try to load my savegame I get the message in the screenshot then the game crashes - sometimes I don't get the message but the game crashes no matter what.

I don't get it because the mods are all in the mod folder where they are supposed to be. I hope someone can help me I'm really desperate.