Help! My gun is too gooey!

LucidLady

So i'm a VERY novice mod maker, and i'm stumped with a very slimy problem.

I'm trying to make a mirelurk egg launcher, and I have almost everything working properly.

Except, if you change your view at all in game, the launcher starts releasing an endless explosion of goo out of itself.

(when I say "change view" i mean - opening the pipboy, entering VATS, going from 1st person to 3rd person)

I have no idea why this is happening. I only replaced the shape and texture of a bowling ball projectile with in-game Mirelurk Egg assets.

I'm honestly not sure whether to just leave it in as a feature or not lol

But another problem i'm having is the reload animation - it looks like a bowlingball, not an egg. I have no idea how to make it look like an egg when you reload.

Please help me understand!

Edited by LucidLady

Oh my ....

The bowling ball is actually part of the reload animation.

You would have to remake the animation with a mirelurk egg ...

(Making custom animations is NOT a "first mod"-type of project ....)

I have no idea what could be the problem with the "goo" ...

As far as I know, mirelurk eggs do have some "goo" when destroying them, but I could be wrong ...

But this is an awsome idea!

(Imagine it with deathclaw-eggs, that would be great)

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

It's not the animation. What program did you use to edit the nif? If you used Outfit Studio instead of NifSkope, that could be the problem. I did a quick test, created a plugin and edited nif files, everything worked fine for me. Sorry I can't test yours, I don't have the DLCs.

I don't know about the goo. I have some doubts about this ImpactDataSet inside the Object Modification. Maybe remove the property and then test it.

Oh my ....

The bowling ball is actually part of the reload animation.

You would have to remake the animation with a mirelurk egg ...

(Making custom animations is NOT a "first mod"-type of project ....)

I have no idea what could be the problem with the "goo" ...

As far as I know, mirelurk eggs do have some "goo" when destroying them, but I could be wrong ...

But this is an awsome idea!

(Imagine it with deathclaw-eggs, that would be great)

Aw man, i'm not ready to try animations yet x_x

If i can fix the goo problem, i'll just release it with the bowling ball and... hope for forgiveness...

And yeah, I started the mod with the Mirelurk egg-goo explosion, and I figured maybe that was the source of my gooey gun problem.

But I have removed the Mirelurk explosion effect entirely and replaced it (currently) with a Fireworks explosion.

Then again, your idea about the deathclaw egg... Do you think anyone would notice if I switched the egg textures? lol

It's not the animation. What program did you use to edit the nif? If you used Outfit Studio instead of NifSkope, that could be the problem. I did a quick test, created a plugin and edited nif files, everything worked fine for me. Sorry I can't test yours, I don't have the DLCs.

I don't know about the goo. I have some doubts about this ImpactDataSet inside the Object Modification. Maybe remove the property and then test it.

I did indeed use Outfit Studio to edit the nif. Interesting... I'm unfamiliar with NifSkope but if it would fix this problem, i'll take a stab at it!

You say you did a quick test, edited nif files and everything worked? Did you edit the files with NifSkope?

I added the Impact Data long after the goo was already a problem, I thought giving it new Impact Data would actually help. Somehow...

And the Impact Data doesn't seem to be hurting anything. It actually makes each impact sound like bowling pins lol

Open the egg and fatman barrel in separate instances of the program. First go to the nif for the mirelurk egg. Expand the NiNode, right click on BSTriShape and choose Block->Copy Branch. Now you go to the fatman barrel nif file. There is a second NiNode within the first one. Select that NiNode and rightclick, choose Block->Paste Branch. You should have two BSTriShape. Select the one for the egg, right click and choose Transform->Edit. Use the options that appear on the screen to move and resize the egg to get closer to the mininuke. The options I used are:

Translation Y = -8.00

Rotation Y = -90.00

Scale 0.4700

Some values are edited manually, not through the arrows. When ready, press Accept. Select the mininuke TriShape and rightclick, choose Block->Remove Branch. Use Save As to save the nif under different name. Scaling is optional, I did it to make the egg not clip through the Fatman.

I also edited the fatman ammo nif file, which is used for the ammo and as projectile. The process is the same, except there is no second NiNode, you use Paste Branch on the main one.

Since I scaled down the barrel and projectile, I edited the nif file for the mirelurk egg explosion. There are a lot of TriShapes inside, I just used Transform on each mesh and scaled it by 0.50. That way the broken egg parts don't look so big.

Here are the files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qYFvApgxzbINXcKlU1K17ZRwCsbs6c85/view?usp=sharing

Open the egg and fatman barrel in separate instances of the program. First go to the nif for the mirelurk egg. Expand the NiNode, right click on BSTriShape and choose Block->Copy Branch. Now you go to the fatman barrel nif file. There is a second NiNode within the first one. Select that NiNode and rightclick, choose Block->Paste Branch. You should have two BSTriShape. Select the one for the egg, right click and choose Transform->Edit. Use the options that appear on the screen to move and resize the egg to get closer to the mininuke. The options I used are:

Translation Y = -8.00

Rotation Y = -90.00

Scale 0.4700

Some values are edited manually, not through the arrows. When ready, press Accept. Select the mininuke TriShape and rightclick, choose Block->Remove Branch. Use Save As to save the nif under different name. Scaling is optional, I did it to make the egg not clip through the Fatman.

I also edited the fatman ammo nif file, which is used for the ammo and as projectile. The process is the same, except there is no second NiNode, you use Paste Branch on the main one.

Since I scaled down the barrel and projectile, I edited the nif file for the mirelurk egg explosion. There are a lot of TriShapes inside, I just used Transform on each mesh and scaled it by 0.50. That way the broken egg parts don't look so big.

Here are the files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qYFvApgxzbINXcKlU1K17ZRwCsbs6c85/view?usp=sharing

Welp, i'm saving this post in a notepad for later consumption.

Thank you so much for giving instructions on how to do this @_@

I tested your files in-game and they're perfect! I'm sure I could follow your steps and replicate the files, but - if it ain't broke?

Would you be OK with me using your files and crediting you on the mod?

I'm certain I can make a version of this that doesn't require Far Harbor as well. There's only 1 reference really - one of the base game mirelurks gets overwritten by a Far Harbor file apparently.

I tried just replacing the egg with a re-shaped deathclaw egg lol - but the goo was still there! It makes zero sense.

You are welcome to use them, rename them, edit them as you see fit to achieve your goals. As for the dlc dependency - just don't let anything I said have influence on your decision.

Oh it already weighed heavily on my mind that it had some dependency on the DLC. I'm gonna make a version for each individual DLC and a combo of both DLCs once i get this base game one working. :3

Right now i'm just having some problem with the scuttlebutt factions. The killclaw is always hostile for some reason, even though it has all the same faction tags as the other scuttlebutts... Not that I mind too much, I like there being some risk involved in using the weapon, too.

Here's the combined file - so very nearly perfect!