Fallout 4 HAVOK Guide

ajs52698

I have done some experimentationsabout implementing skeletons and behaviors, and even tho I have not managed it yet, I got something that can streamline behavior creation by alot, but it's something I'd rather talk about in DM's

That's alright, send me a private message! I'm curious!

Please let us know once you get custom skeletons and behaviours to work ...

A good tutoral about this would be nice!

So that ALL modders who want to can have that knowledge, not just a hand full ...

I have done some experimentationsabout implementing skeletons and behaviors, and even tho I have not managed it yet, I got something that can streamline behavior creation by alot, but it's something I'd rather talk about in DM's

That's alright, send me a private message! I'm curious!

Please let us know once you get custom skeletons and behaviours to work ...

A good tutoral about this would be nice!

So that ALL modders who want to can have that knowledge, not just a hand full ...

Based off ValenBae's comment, I assume he's made some progress on a tool to create these Havok file's using a custom built UI rather than through xml editing. Likely something similar to this https://github.com/BrannigansLaw/Skyrim-Behavior-Editor-. If it matter's, I haven't received any message from him, so i'm just guessing. This guide is meant to go through the needed information to create skeleton's file's for animation and behavior file's through xml editing and HKXpack. So you can make these file's currently without any tool with UI, you just have to beat your head against a wall a little more :tongue:.

As a side note, once you understand how these file's work, it wouldn't be too difficult to create a UI editor tool IMO. I probably would be working on something like that right now, but my current project is a animation convertor, so that has to be finished first.

Edited by ajs52698

• 2 months later...

Not that I dont wanna share, but I also don't want to give wrongs leads to people. It's a vast research subject, and before starting to make claims, i'd much rather discuss it privately

I completley understand!

It's just that lots of times, people tend to "forget" about documenting or sharing once they figure something out.

Because they are too busy working on their own stuff ...

Now this is exactly the kind of info i was looking for. To bad I'm having such difficulties to get my animated nifs working properly at the moment, otherwise i would get right to work on the .hkx files to complete them as activators with events.

Thank you for this post!

Only tangentially relevant but over on LL, user Bad Dog has been developing a next gen nif import/export extension for Blender. It can already handle weighted and skinned meshes, and we were going to look at animation ... but that relied on DexesTTP's HKXAnim tool, which never actually saw release.

But with information like this as a reference, it makes me wonder about the possibility of generating HKX XML directly. Tempting...

I swapped out the Spline Compression module from HCT in 3ds Max and got a hkaInterleavedUncompressedAnimation. Comparing HCT output against your guide, I think you may be missing a section:

<hkobject class="hkaDefaultAnimatedReferenceFrame" name="#94" signature="0x60f8e0b8">
            <!-- memSizeAndRefCount SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
            <!-- frameType SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
            <hkparam name="up">(0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0)</hkparam>
            <hkparam name="forward">(0.0 1.0 0.0 0.0)</hkparam>
            <hkparam name="duration">16.66666603088379</hkparam>
            <hkparam name="referenceFrameSamples" numelements="2">(0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0) (0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0)</hkparam>
        </hkobject>

At least, that's what HKXPack unpacks from the HCT generated idle. It was a two frame pose, so I suspect that "referenceFrameSamples" element is going to want one tuple per animation frame, but I haven't tried that yet.

[edit]

And the line:

<hkparam name="extractedMotion">null</hkparam>

wants to point at the hkaDefaultAnimatedReferenceFrame section with the appropriate #number, rather than null. Again, that's going by what HCT generates from Max.

Edited by DocClox

Those quaternions: Does Havok expect WXYZ? Ir is it XYZW?

If it was the latter, that would make a sort of sense, since the root bone exported from Max would start out with zero rotation rather than rotated 108 degrees around the Z axis.

C'mon! I can't be the only person interested in making this work!

• 4 weeks later...