Creation Kit Model Importing

Hi, I am looking for some help, I have tried looking all over the internet for videos and even talked to a person or two. I am working on a massive mod for Fallout 4 and I need to learn to import models for (Static, Armor, and Weapons) I am not a modeler most of my skills are in world design so I am pretty green when it comes to all the models. I have downloaded 100's of Models from sites that allow free asset use but I can figure out how to get them in creation kit properly every time I try the model is invisible.

Thanks for Any help

Julian

Edited by Julianromano94

Unfortunately, it isn't going to be as easy as you think. First, your models need to be in the NIF format. Are they? If not, you are going to need some key tools and plenty of time.

Kinggath outlines the tools you'll need in his video Bethesda Mod School: 3ds Max 101 - Setup & Basic Collision

Unfortunately, it isn't going to be as easy as you think. First, your models need to be in the NIF format. Are they? If not, you are going to need some key tools and plenty of time.

Kinggath outlines the tools you'll need in his video Bethesda Mod School: 3ds Max 101 - Setup & Basic Collision

So I use Blender mostly to make sure all objects are a .OBJ and then I use another program to make them into a .Nif. After that I place all the texture files into proper data folders (For the models). Then I import them into Nifscope attach the textures at this point everything works. Assuming I have done everything right in Nifscope I then save and import to creationkit. Now when I do that all I see is a green outline and I have no Idea where I have gone wrong.

This is the "workflow" the I use for getting static 3D models into FO4:

• I create the mesh in SketchUp Make 2017 ( a free, easy to use 3D modelling software)
  • I export the mesh as an OBJ file (without textures, just the mesh)
  • I import that OBJ into 3DSMAX 2013
  • I create a (simplified) duplicate of that mesh to use as a collison mesh
  • I assign a "placeholder" texture to the mesh
  • I do the UV unwrapping
  • I "combine" the (now textured) mesh and the collsion mesh into a "rigid body"
  • I assign a material to that (that determines the sound that it makes when the player hits it or walks over it and things like that)
  • I export all of that as a NIF
  • I open that exported NIF in NifSkope to remove the actual .dds file (so that only the .bgsm materail file is used for the texture)
  • I create place all of the files in the correct folders
  • I run Elrich to "optimize" the mesh (this is important, otherwise it won't show up!)
  • I create a new static object in the CK and assign that NIF to be used for that object.

That's it.

But all of that should be covered in that tutorial video.

(If it is not, give me a few hours, I can go through the process and take screenshots and write up a proper tutorial myself.)

Just a bit of an offtopic question ...

What sites did you use to get "free models"?

(One can never have enough random 3D models ...)

Totally agree now all I need to do is get them into Fallout4

Here's the Link

https://sketchfab.com/feed

Oh, nice!

I usually use "3D warehouse" to get all of my models ...

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/

I use a rather "primitive" software called SketchUo Make 2017 to create meshes.

All of the models on that site I mentioned are in that "SketchUp"-format.

The software is very easy to learn. It isn't as "powerfull" as 3DSMAX or blender, but it does the job for me ...

(I only recently "got" 3DSMAX, that's why I haven't really learned it yet. I just use it for texutring, UV mapping and exporting as NIF)

Just a bit of an offtopic question ...

What sites did you use to get "free models"?

(One can never have enough random 3D models ...)

Totally agree now all I need to do is get them into Fallout4

Here's the Link

https://sketchfab.com/feed

Oh, nice!

I usually use "3D warehouse" to get all of my models ...

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/

I use a rather "primitive" software called SketchUo Make 2017 to create meshes.

All of the models on that site I mentioned are in that "SketchUp"-format.

The software is very easy to learn. It isn't as "powerfull" as 3DSMAX or blender, but it does the job for me ...

(I only recently "got" 3DSMAX, that's why I haven't really learned it yet. I just use it for texutring, UV mapping and exporting as NIF)

Yeah I like this site it has beautiful stuff and some really cool fallout style objects. I will say figuring out the importing of objects is crazy compared to Unity and Unreal4. But I need this high quality models for my massive mod that I am working on.

Hi, I am looking for some help, I have tried looking all over the internet for videos and even talked to a person or two. I am working on a massive mod for Fallout 4 and I need to learn to import models for (Static, Armor, and Weapons) I am not a modeler most of my skills are in world design so I am pretty green when it comes to all the models. I have downloaded 100's of Models from sites that allow free asset use but I can figure out how to get them in creation kit properly every time I try the model is invisible.

Thanks for Any help

Julian

- Convert your free models to obj or fbx format (a useful site for converting is here.)

- Import the obj or fbx file to Blender. It might be necessary to constrain the mesh scale to 20 if the mesh is oversized.

- Select each individual mesh part and look at it carefully to check if it is made with triangular faces or not. If not, then use FACES->TRIANGULATE FACES to fix this. This is very important for the mesh to be visible in FO4.

- Check all the mesh parts to make sure they are UV mapped. If not, then unwrap them (I usually do a simple cube projection). There are Youtube tutorials out there...

- Export the model as obj.

- Import the edited obj into Outfit Studio.

- select EDIT->REMOVE SKINNING (n.b. only do this for meshes that don't require skinning, such as static objects etc).

- export the model as NIF.

- open the NIF in Nifskope.

- select each BSSubIndexTriShape and choose BLOCK->CONVERT->BETHESDA->BSTriShape. Again, this is only necessary for models that don't use skinning.

What I tend to do next is copy and paste mesh blocks from this nif into a nif from Fallout 4 that has a model with similar characteristics to the model I want to import, then I scale and transform the mesh parts, add the textures or material files, add a suitable collision, add any bells and whistles (such as snap points etc) and more often than not the mesh will work nicely in game.