• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ExoKallum

ExoKallum

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I've decided to play through a fully modded game from a vanilla save. I know this isn't great, but I have my reasons!

Soooo, my fancy question is what functions / commands might (should) I run to attempt to rebuild whatever may need rebuilding? Right now I'm scumming through all the commands I can find and hitting what seems like it might do something helpful, I mean I have nothing to lose really.

The save, which loads and seems fine, is on the highway close to Goodsprings on the way to Primm and it's completely vanilla: no DLC's or NVSE attached. I've only completed the tutorial missions. I didn't even start the NCR mission (something about Eddie) because of certain actions.

Anyway, I don't really know enough to know what I'm asking, I'm sorry about that. However, if anyone knows of any quest/worldstate/chargen specific commands that might help I would really appreciate it! Or, if the expert opinion is if the save loads it should be ok then that would be great to hear too!

As for now I'm just going to put my character in the chargen state for a bit in the hope that it does something mysterious in the background.

Mod list!

Spoiler

ashtonlp101

ashtonlp101

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

I would highly recommend you just start a new game. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but I'm assuming you want to use console commands to essentially "restart" your game without actually starting anew game. This not possible because of the sheer amount of variables that run when you start a new game, so to set all those variables back to normal would completely break the game. There aren't really any NVSE specific commands that do that either. If you want to do something simple like changing your characters name or appearance then type "ShowRaceMenu" to change your character's appearance or type "ShowNameMenu." That's pretty much all the advice I can give you but like I said, I think it'd be wise to just start a new game all-together. Especially since you're using Living Desert which runs off of previously established game scripts.

I also advice that you don't just type in commands if you don't know what they mean/do. There aren't any magic NVSE commands that reset your game, NVSE is just an expanded functionality resource for mod authors to use. It really serves no purpose on a user-level. 

Edited by ashtonlp101, 03 December 2020 - 09:48 PM.

ExoKallum

ExoKallum

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Meh.. I looked at the save details by generating a text dump through "save [savename] 1"... everything actually appears to be there, flags for quest lines and perks added in installed mods and etc.

Everything seems to be working - nps's populating normally at least in goodsprings, and lists appear to be fine as far as ammo and craftables.

I think I'll just wander through, if I hit something terrible then it will be interesting to see what broke and when lol.

Btw, it's not simple chargen stuff - it's that my character looks pretty cool. I don't know how I managed to do that but I for sure am having zero luck doing it again. Being obsessive about things, i'd rather take the risk. Howl put it best in Miyazaki's classic, but I won't repeat his moaning complaints here lol

EDIT: Actually, if I make it all the way through I'll post about it. Seems like being able to play an old vanilla save through a heavily modded install would be news.

ashtonlp101

ashtonlp101

Old hand

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Love Miyazaki films!

ExoKallum

ExoKallum

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Ya :D.  Sorry to bump a reply that just says Ya but I have to agree :)

ExoKallum

ExoKallum

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

I've decided to play through a fully modded game from a vanilla save. I know this isn't great, but I have my reasons!

Soooo, my fancy question is what functions / commands might (should) I run to attempt to rebuild whatever may need rebuilding?

I'm quoting myself, this is awesome, but if one person asked it at one point someone else is bound to wonder, so I shall answer the me of the past:

Nothing needs to be done. A vanilla save is basically invisible to mostly everything without an NVSE co-save - which, btw, is something that the beginner needs to be very aware of.1

As long as your vanilla save is as vanilla as mine - meaning you have basically no quests running except the main quest - you will most likely be ok. If you have a whole lot going on you may need to do some quest repair with the console (set your problem quest active, console: sgt, then console: resetquest questname), but you should potentially still be ok. Some initial weirdness might be present depending on who showed up where for you, but it's worth a shot if you have a vanilla save you really want to play though a modded game.

1Be careful with NVSE stuff, and test test test immediately, because if you don't like a particular NVSE reliant mod you cannot roll the mod out of you game and continue on the same save without potential issues hanging over your head because the NVSE cosave will have data from that mod baked in, and it cannot be removed unless you really, really, developer level of knowledge know what your doing. You might be fine, but then you might not.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nvse, console, johnny guitar, nx, lutana, fose, geck, jip

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.113 seconds