I hope this is a bug..

Cerbion
Go to solution Solved by Pickysaurus,

Hello everyone,

I've recently gone back to modding Skyrim SE a bit as I started a playthrough with a friend (via Skyrim Together) and while I am a total newb with Vortex and are only slowly beginning to understand how I can work with it, I actually quite like it, sure its far from flawless or perfect, but it really helps out people who aren't modding everything 24/7, but all that praise is currently a bit overshadowed by a certain... "Bug" - at least I hope thats what it is. - And I want to share that with you, maybe someone can clarify or FIX THIS.

As I said, this is mainly related to modding Skyrim SE, I have not tested it with anything else.

I installed about 30ish mods, nothing too crazy, a few gameplay thinigs (Ordinator, Apocalypse, Quality Map, etc) and a few graphical things like ELFX and SMIM, then I wanted to install Pfuscher's Skyrim 2020 mod, because it seemed like a good addition to visually improve the game.

Now it gets a bit spicy, Pfuscher's Mod is over 7GB in size, so quite a lot for the 1-2MB/s restriction Vortex/Nexus has. And I completely accept this type of restriction for free users, so I thought; yeah I just suck it up let it run and be done with it, its not like I download mods this big every day.

So I went and downloaded it, took quite a while (over an hour) but eventually it was finished, I clicked install and was presented with the annoying message that the installation had failed, due to a broken Archive "Data Error" - the exact error message is not even very relevant here.

Of course I retried installing a few times, restarted Vortex, restarted my computer, still no luck, Broken Archive, OK. So I went about and removed it, and started downloading again, just to suffer the same error over and over, I did this several times, while also trying to find a solution online.

I checked if it was the mods fault (and: NO it isnt, this also happend with others), and I also checked if there was some permission problems or other issues but I couldn't find anything, the best lead I had was "maybe a crc error" and "try redownloading" - but even downloading it manually and importing it into Vortex wouldn't work so I was getting quite desperate.

So Today, a couple of days of trial and error without any luck, (btw other, smaller mods, up to roughly ~1GB work just fine) - I thought, okay you know what, maybe I will check out the pricing on Nexus Premium, and see how expensive it is, sure I am not using NExus as much, but I also support modders and the people who keep this all up and running and work on Vortex, so it's not a totally bad idea (being a programmer myself). And as you can see I opted to buy Premium, so I went back to Vortex after that and just for the heck of it, tried to click "Install" on the Broken Archive that I hadn't removed yet from my last attempt and to my absolute surprise, as Todd would put it, IT JUST WORKS. I am reliefed that I finally have the mod installed and all, but seeing as I havent re-downloaded it at all and I tried installing that precise Archive a few times already without luck..

I SERIOUSLY hope that this is a bug and I hope its fixed soon, because this really feels like some scheme to lure people into premium in a very very unethical way, so I hope its really an oversight/bug or something else and NOT intentional.

Have a great day everyone,

Cerbion

PS: And in case it comes up: It's NOT my PC (I am running a very stable 3950X with 64GB of RAM on Win 10)

Premium makes no changes to the Vortex cliemt.

Fun test: Set up a dummy account onb Nexusmods. Install Vortex. Log into your dummy. Try the manual install (Just drag the archive) to the new Vortex.

If it fails - see if 7zip can unpack it. That would validate the CRC.

With the reported error - I would try running Windows memory diagnostic overnight also.

Premium makes no changes to the Vortex cliemt.

Fun test: Set up a dummy account onb Nexusmods. Install Vortex. Log into your dummy. Try the manual install (Just drag the archive) to the new Vortex.

If it fails - see if 7zip can unpack it. That would validate the CRC.

With the reported error - I would try running Windows memory diagnostic overnight also.

That's a good way to get banned

As far as I know, the forum has no rules against multiple accounts.

I welcome correction if that is not true. I would certainly use a second account for testing if I thought it would help.

But it misses the point. I am not trying to solve any problems, I am stating that one was suddenly solved after I switched to Premium, and just stating that "premium doesnt change the client" is all well and good, but it just feels like something DID happen.

Also I feel I should mention that I did check the CRC of the archive; I was easily able to open it using winrar, I also checked my drive for failures (which isn't even a year in usage at the time of writing this) but nothing, so It's really mind boggling to me how that came to be after I vigorously tried almost every solution to that very problem. And again; I don't think it's intended malice, but I also think it bears worth mentioning, especially if someone else encountered this or it's really a bug OR worst case, it really is a "feature" that was built in to convince users to go premium.

So far I am not regretting getting my lifetime premium and I still think Vortex is awesome, but I can't just ignore this either.

• Solution

I can say with confidence this is in no way a "feature" of Vortex (you're welcome to check the source code if you don't believe me).

There might have been some weirdness where the file wasn't properly released until you restarted your PC. Vortex is based on Electron and there were some weird problems in older version of Electron in which it wouldn't "let go" of files in some instances.

It's possible that a very specific set of circumstances on your PC made this possible. If it happens again, please report it through the app and include your Vortex log file. That way the devs can see what happened in Vortex's "brain" during the download and install attempt.

As far as I know, the forum has no rules against multiple accounts.

I welcome correction if that is not true. I would certainly use a second account for testing if I thought it would help.

Accounts and User Identity

In order to access certain Nexus Mods services, you must create and utilise a singular account (i.e. one account per person) consisting of a username, email address, and password. Households or facilities from which multiple users (and therefore accounts) may access the sites and services are encouraged to inform staff to ensure that there are no potential misunderstandings in the case of moderation review. More information can be found in our Moderation Policy. Users who create multiple accounts may have any or all of those accounts terminated with other measures being taken to prevent such abuse as appropriate.

I can say with confidence this is in no way a "feature" of Vortex (you're welcome to check the source code if you don't believe me).

There might have been some weirdness where the file wasn't properly released until you restarted your PC. Vortex is based on Electron and there were some weird problems in older version of Electron in which it wouldn't "let go" of files in some instances.

It's possible that a very specific set of circumstances on your PC made this possible. If it happens again, please report it through the app and include your Vortex log file. That way the devs can see what happened in Vortex's "brain" during the download and install attempt.

Thanks for providing an "official" answer, I was assuming as much, I just couldn't be certain, but since no one else has chimed in to say they were facing the same problem it seems to be just some weird circumstance that very rarely occurs, I will report if it happens again to me or anyone I know.

Cheers!