Loveblanket

Loveblanket

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
In response to post #90523988.

Spoiler

Agreed but we're likely not getting it. It's probably been the most requested feature for years and from what I've read it's not in the cards.

Snezko

Snezko

Within Eternal Darkness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
I want the good old style of installing & enabling mods like NMM had, not the new vortex style which "links" or whatever the mods into the folder, i will never be able to use Vortex in my life sadly, but i guess great for all of you who find it better... sadly i'm now 4ever stuck on manual mod installing :/ RIP me ever playing Skyrim & FO4 again...

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 19,133 posts
In response to post #90542673.

Spoiler

What exactly is wrong with the Vortex method? It's not that different. If Vortex is unable to deploy and you're not sure why, hop over to our support forums and we'll help you understand the error messages :) 

Eman17j

Eman17j

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
In response to post #90542673. #90542838 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

I agree with you about Vortex but instead of doing it manually why don't you use MO2 or NMM community edition?

One thing that I don't like about Vortex is that when installing a mod with no ESP/ESM it doesn't show up in the load order so I have no idea where it is at in the load order and I can't adjust it in the load order.

Another thing I don't like is all the mods I have downloaded I can't install Vortex and then say use this download folder because Vortex tells me the download folder has to be empty.

Also would rather have an drag and drop load order sorting system. Which I could probably overlook if I had the ability to see and change load order of mods with no ESP/ESM.

If some of these issues were fixed I would probably use it because I think using hard links would make my games more stable then using MO2's virtual file system since the hard link system is built into Windows itself.

Edited by Eman17j, 12 February 2021 - 12:59 PM.

Sammael2522

Sammael2522

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
In response to post #90542673. #90542838, #90545668 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

+1

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 19,133 posts
In response to post #90542673. #90542838, #90545668, #90547493 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

I mean this as nicely as possible Eman17j, but you seem to have a very misguided understanding of fundamental modding concepts for Bethesda titles.

?One thing that I don't like about Vortex is that when installing a mod with no ESP/ESM it doesn't show up in the load order so I have no idea where it is at in the load order and I can't adjust it in the load order.

No mod manager will do this. The "load order" in Bethesda games is a list of the ESP, ESM and ESL files in your data folder (a.k.a. plugins). Mods without plugins will never appear in the load order by design. These mods are still visible in the "Mods" tab of Vortex and if they conflict with other installed mods you will be prompted to decide which files should be used in the game. 

?Another thing I don't like is all the mods I have downloaded I can't install Vortex and then say use this download folder because Vortex tells me the download folder has to be empty.

I'm not really sure why this is a problem? The Vortex downloads folder should only include files downloaded by Vortex. If that folder contains any unexpected subfolders it will cause weird problems in the Vortex downloads UI. If you really want to put other stuff in the folder, create it empty first then move your existing archives into it. 

Also would rather have an drag and drop load order sorting system. Which I could probably overlook if I had the ability to see and change load order of mods with no ESP/ESM.

Vortex has all the load order controls found in other mod managers, they are just presented in a different way. Really, there's very little reason to mess with your load order if you allow Vortex to sort it for you (using LOOT), I have almost 500 plugins in my game and I had to set about ~25 rule or group assignments to get the desired result. 

The File Conflicts screen will allow you to change the "load order" of the loose files, but only if they actually conflict with other mods. 

Edited by Pickysaurus, 12 February 2021 - 02:06 PM.

MessianicGamer

MessianicGamer

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 46 posts
I switched to MO2 a few months ago and haven't looked back.  I just don't like the bloated UI for vortex, and the Load order sorting is not very accurate or easy to manage compared to MO2.  Plus, the UI is so much more simplified in MO2, and reminds me of the good old NMM.   

Maybe the UI for Vortex would make more sense if I could actually browse and search for mods within that framework, but as it stands, it's just too bloated and too much going on for me.

lawilson97

lawilson97

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
In response to post #90552258.

Spoiler

Exactly, Vortex is so convoluted. MO2 is the king.

megapatato

megapatato

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 530 posts
As a mod maintainer, I just want to give a shout-out to whoever made Vortex's text file handling so robust, specially when dealing with FOMOD installers in weird encodings.

Looking forward to the History feature once 1.4 rolls out to the Stable update channel.

piotrmil

piotrmil

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
In response to post #90552258. #90562988 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Fully agree, for bethesda games there is nothing better than Mo2

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.083 seconds