Vortex not opening links in Chrome appropriately.

devhead39
Go to solution Solved by devhead39,

I have set up Vortex and within the 'Settings' > 'Downloads' menu, I have enabled the 'Handle Mod Manager Download buttons on NexusMods'. I have also closed Chrome and clicked the 'Fix Now' button next to 'Fix Nexus Mods links in Chrome'.

From this menu, if I click on the link to 'NexusMods.com' I get the hourglass for half a second and then no other result. Chrome does not open the link, and no error is reported.

From the 'Mods' menu, in the 'Actions' column, if I choose 'Open on Nexus Mods' for any of my installed mods, I get the same result. Approximately half a second of hourglass, and then no other result. I can also use the 'Check for Mod Updates' option and the list does display mods that need to be updated along with their version info, but if I click the Cloud icon to initiate an update, I get the same results.

Within Chrome, I am running an AdBlocker that is disabled on NexusMods, so this may be causing a conflict, but I do not know that for certain.

Neither of these problems are directly related to Vortex, if clicking a link in Chrome doesn't open Vortex then there's something off with the chrome configuration.

When you click a link in Vortex, all that does is Vortex tells the operating system "please open this link in your default browser". If that doesn't work your system setting for the default browser is broken.

The setting for the default browser is in the windows settings (Default app) but for the broken chrome config I can't say where that is going wrong.

One problem may be if you run Vortex or Chrome as administrator because if you try to open a link from an admin application, it would also use the admins default browser and vice versa.

And to be very clear here: You absolutely must not run a webbrowser as admin and you really really should not run Vortex as admin.

• 2 years later...

Neither of these problems are directly related to Vortex, if clicking a link in Chrome doesn't open Vortex then there's something off with the chrome configuration.

When you click a link in Vortex, all that does is Vortex tells the operating system "please open this link in your default browser". If that doesn't work your system setting for the default browser is broken.

The setting for the default browser is in the windows settings (Default app) but for the broken chrome config I can't say where that is going wrong.

One problem may be if you run Vortex or Chrome as administrator because if you try to open a link from an admin application, it would also use the admins default browser and vice versa.

And to be very clear here: You absolutely must not run a webbrowser as admin and you really really should not run Vortex as admin.

Leaving this here because I couldn't find any help. I was having issues using brave browser ... I ended up needing to switch my default browser to Chrome. I guess Vortex doesn't support other browsers? Haven't tested Firefox or other out.

Leaving this here because I couldn't find any help. I was having issues using brave browser ... I ended up needing to switch my default browser to Chrome. I guess Vortex doesn't support other browsers? Haven't tested Firefox or other out.

Vortex doesn't explicitly support _any_ browser, it just talks to Windows, going "please open this Link in whatever browser the user has configured as the default" and "if a default browser tries to open a nxm:// link in the default application, call me!".

Whether your Browser supports these interfaces is entirely up to the browser. If it doesn't though, it's shite, don't use it.

I really don't care what awesome features it may have, if it refuses to adhere to standards - to me that'd be a total no-go.