3dsMax - Troubleshooting NIFs - help, please.

exploiteddna

So, I'm running 3dsMax 2012 and using the latest niftools import/export plugin (found here). I have successfully imported a few meshes (2 or 3) since I first installed it, but have not really needed to use it very much... until recently.

Now that I am trying to get more into modeling I have been trying to import more meshes. However, a good portion of the NIFs i try to import give me an error, similar to these:

try to import: meshes/magic/iceprojectile01.nif
Link could not be cast to required type during file read. This NIF file may be invalid or improperly supported
Type of object with index 77 was: NiPSysData
Required type was: NiGeometryData

try to import: meshes/furniture/alchemyworkbench.nif
Link could not be cast to required type during file read. This NIF file may be invalid or improperly supported.
Type of object with index 24 was: NiPSysData

try to import: meshes/furniture/alchemyworkstation.nif
error message:

Link could not be cast to required type during file read. This NIF file may be invalid or improperly supported.
Type of object with index 88 was: NiPSysData

As you can see, all of the messages have the same problem (NiPSysData should be NiGeometryData), except the location is different for each of them. I have loaded up each of the files into NifSkope and located the NiPSysData node for each of them, but I don't really know what to do with it.
I'm not very knowledgeable with NifSkope or NIF files in general, so I am stuck. The only possible solution I could think of (which is probably not the right thing to do) is manually change the NiPSysData node to a NiGeometryData node.. however, I dont see an option for doing that in any of the dialogs or context menus.

Another thing to note is that this doesnt happen with all of my meshes, but a lot of them do. I also tried to import the NIF into gmax but I receive the exact same error message. I also tried to export from Nifskope as an OBJ file and open it in 3dsMax, which works, but it only exports a single NiTriShapes node, not the entire file.

Is there some reason the niftools importer is "expecting" a NiGeometryData node instead of the NiPSysData node?? Maybe I could change something in the MaxNifTools.ini file?

Ive also tried using 3dsMax 2011 but that didnt help. Ive been thinking about trying the Maya NIF plugin to see if that works any better, but I would have to download and install Maya and not sure if it's worth it (but i do get the student software for free, so I could do it if I think it would help)

Any suggestions or advice will be very much appreciated

*EDIT* : i just removed the NiPSysData branch that the error message refers to and it imported without any issues. However, I'm assuming that removing random branches is probably not the best thing to do...??

Edited by michaelrw

• 2 years later...