Heavy Traffic ×

Lore-friendly Polygamy - marry in an orc stronghold

muffinpoodle

Okay, I've tried the couple of multiple marriages mods I've seen floating around out there, and on top of not really sounding as "real" as I'd like before downloading, upon downloading I couldn't get either of them to work at all though I tried a bunch of different fixes and work-arounds.

What I'd really want to make, if I had access to the CK and time to learn it, is this:

At one of the orc strongholds, there is a small temple devoted to Malacath. A priest - a new NPC specific to the mod - resides with in and provided you are orc bloodkin, you can go inside and talk to him about the orcish system of marriage. He'll tell you about how orc chieftans are allowed multiple wives, and he's performed many marriages - he's also happy to perform as many wedding ceremonies for you as you like (maybe provided you've done a particular quest for him?). He can sell you some kind of equippable object, like the Amulet of Mara only orc/Malacath appropriate, or perhaps give you a blessing or power or something, that enables you to open a marriage dialogue with NPCs who like you enough. The dialogue could be the same as with the Amulet of Mara (only without the NPC specifically commenting on that amulet) only the end result would be going to the stronghold to get married. Alternatively, the orc priest could not give you an item and you could still need the Amulet of Mara to initiate betrothal dialogue, but said dialogue could go something like this instead:

Player: Interested in me, are you?
NPC: Of course, or you interested in me?
Player: (GETS A CHOICE OF EITHER...) I am - let's get married at the temple in Riften.
(OR) I am - let's get married at (insert name of stronghold here).
(OR) Sorry, I'm not.

After arranging to get married in the orcish fashion, you go back to see the priest of Malacath and tell him about it. He'll tell you to attend your wedding at midnight that night (orc weddings are traditionally held at midnight), and the wedding will progress like the vanilla version, with relevant NPCs turning up and congratulating you, just at this different time and location. Instead of invoking Mara's divine love the priest will be all "May the mighty Malacath inspire these two to defend and support each other with blood and honour, and let nothing short of death sever their bond". You say I do, get your wedding rings, and be done - and you can repeat this process with maybe like, 10-20 different people (I mean, let's not get crazy, who really needs to be married to 100 people?).

The faction your spouses belong to could function the same as the vanilla one, but be a seperate thing (so maybe you could still get vanilla married on top of that if you wanted to?). I'm also thinking possibly - though maybe this is far too complicated? - there are three seperate factions for spouses married at the stronghold. The first is your "primary" or "favoured" wife/husband, the first person you marry. The second person is your "forgewife" or "forgehusband", according to orcish tradition. Anyone you marry under Malacath after that are just like, misc/other wives/husbands. And depending on where in the spouse hierarchy they fit, your spouses could perform different functions, like maybe...

Favoured spouse: All the benefits of a vanilla spouse - homecooked meals, will set up a shop, can provide Lover's Comfort bonus, will move in with you, you can move in with him/her, his/her belongings become your belongings.
Forgewife/forgehusband: Will set up a shop, can provide Lover's Comfort bonus, will move in with you, you can move in with him/her, his/her belongings become your belongings.
Other spouses: Homecooked meals, will move in with you, his/her belongings become your belongings.

I am very much open to other ideas about the division of those benefits, those are just some starting ideas off the top of my head. Maybe there could also be a way to reassign your spouses to different spots in the hierarchy.

To choose who you go to bed with to get the Lover's Comfort bonus, perhaps when talking to the right spouse, if you are at home/near a bed you're able to sleep in (your own, your room at an inn, whatever), a dialogue option like "Let's go to bed, my love" comes up, at which your spouse will clamber into the bed and you can then activate the bed to get in with them and sleep.

Maybe all this isn't possible, who knows, but it would be my ideal marriage system for sure! And to assist immersion - I have acting experience and am totally cool to voice whatever lines of dialogue are needed for the priest. I'd love to help someone develop this mod in any way I can...I just can't use the CK so I can't do it on my own!

Edited by muffinpoodle

• 1 month later...

I would absolutely love a mod like this. Right now playing an Orc feels very tacked on in Skyrim. While their culture and overall presence in Skyrim seems really interesting and unique, you can't interact much with it, even as an Orc yourself. I think this would really help those wishing to roleplay as Orcs immerse themselves in an Orcish lifestyle. Great idea muffinpoodle. I hope someone makes it happen.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I reinstalled and started an orc after having not played for "a long time".

After finding my first Orc Stronghold this very concept of Orc Pluralistic-Marriage made me think "there must be a mod for this!"... and so I searched and found ... nothing :(

I was about to start a thread on this subject but found this thread instead. It's a great idea and it would grow the lore of the game in a segment (Orcs) that is pretty weak.

+1 to your idea, Sir. I wish someone would mod this up. Frankly I'm suprirsed... with thousands of mods available, that some Orc savvy modder hasn't already done this.