Your Method of Travel/Do You Fast Travel

Spacely8

So how do you guys get around Skyrim? Do you fast travel or walk the plains?

I stopped fast travelling since a few hours into the game because it ruins the immersion for me. I have a lot of immersion mods, like Frostfall and Realistic Needs & Diseases, so I like finding a way to keep warm during snowstorms, collecting firewood to build a fire, camping, etc. It makes managing your stuff a lot more difficult too. It's more time consuming but you get to explore a lot more and see the beauty of Skyrim and stuff (especially with ENBs).

And my horse is my only companion.

However if I need to get allll the way directly across the map...I will use a carriage.

What about you guys?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only fast travel if walking seems a little much or I can't be bothered, I will however use carriages to fast travel from place to place or when I use the map fast travel I will take a sum of gold from my inventory depending on how far I fast traveled.

I admire those who can stick to walking everywhere. I myself try to walk around if my destination is nearby, but some nights I'm too impatient or if the destination is ALL the WAY across Skyrim I'll just fast travel. However, I always make a point to only fast travel if I have my horse, and if I don't, I "walk" to the nearest Hold and take a cart to the Hold nearest my destination. That way I feel pretty reasonable about it, and it still offers interesting fights along the way.

I intend to make a "hardcore" character on my second playthrough with increased difficulty and a lot of the "immersion" mods installed like Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases. But for now I just wanna play for fun.

I'ma a big fan of exploration/immersion, so I like to actually walk my way through Skyrim.

However, I also like to have kind of a "cinematic experience ", and if the quest is urgent or is kinda the "we need to revenge quest" in which the travel would actually break the story rythm, i do fast travel.

I don't fast travel, however I do use carriages. They don't break immersion as they can only be found in major cities and from there you have to walk by yourself.

If you want to stick with this I advice you to get Better Horses. You can call your horse with a horn everywhere you are and, if you tend to get a bit bored walking around everywhere you go, you can also give a speed boost to your horse.

I don't fast travel, however I do use carriages. They don't break immersion as they can only be found in major cities and from there you have to walk by yourself.

If you want to stick with this I advice you to get Better Horses. You can call your horse with a horn everywhere you are and, if you tend to get a bit bored walking around everywhere you go, you can also give a speed boost to your horse.

I actually have Convenient Horses and I can call my horse with a whistle that I had to learn and I gave them more stamina. I'll check that one at too though, thanks

I'ma a big fan of exploration/immersion, so I like to actually walk my way through Skyrim.

However, I also like to have kind of a "cinematic experience ", and if the quest is urgent or is kinda the "we need to revenge quest" in which the travel would actually break the story rythm, i do fast travel.

I actually like that idea and will try it out!

Depends on how i'm playing. I have sessions where I just want to clean up some small quests, I might have half a dozen 'deliver this' or 'collect bounty here' quests hanging around. I often fast travel to clean those up.

Other times I just explore or do the larger quests, I don't fast travel for those.

Fast Travel ? No, fast travel destroys immersion and an adventurous gameplay and actually the game gets a lot faster boring with it.

I walk a lot and use only sometimes the carriage or Travel by Boat mod but never the fast travel on map, sadly the Scenic Carriage mod does not work for me..... Survival and Immersion modifications contribute a lot to expirience a great gameplay, they are the Soul of the whole game series inclusive Fallout. Without them the original games are only half as much fun. The more you slow down the gameplay, the more you are not always a superman, the more you have to actually struggle for survival in the harsh environment.....the better the game gets.

Morrowind had a very long gameplay time with its bigger world, the vanilla game already did not offer any fast map travel. That did start with Oblivion.

My Character is only lvl 20 and I have played already ~ 77 hours and this with Skyrim Redone and the Uncapper. But well I have installed mods like "Hunter Guild" , which offers additional gameplay and quests aswell.

With fast travel I dont expirirence what Iam looking for in this game besides following the story: Adventures, Exploring + Survival...

If you dont know the Travel by Boat mod, worth to check it out besides Scenic Carriage which could work for some.

Edited by moxrox

I habitually fast travel, unless I actually feel like taking the scenic route or I'm exploring for the sake of exploring. Running around Skyrim is fun it a way but I can't be bothered to do it whenever I have something to do.

The nice thing about this is that despite having played this game for many, many, many hours, I still find things I hadn't noticed before.

Wait, how is it more immersive to instantly go from one city to another using the carriage than doing the exact same thing with fast travel and just assuming your character jogged or rode there? :huh:

I mean, functionally speaking they are exactly the same thing - skipping the actual traveling part of traveling somewhere.