Your Method of Travel/Do You Fast Travel

Spacely8

I travel by foot as possible in Skyrim, much more than I used to. I tend to find myself in a certain rhythm while playing Skyrim (I guess you could call it immersion) and found that fast travelling breaks that rhythm. Also, whenever I fast travel, I find myself more likely to do all kinds of other immersion breaking activities, like setting followers to essential (I use UFO) or abusing console codes and the testing hall. Carriages don't seem to count, but horses do for some reason. Maybe it's because of some of the notorious horse glitches, they're pretty noticeable and break my rhythm/immersion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never fast traveled. I even downloaded a mod to prevent it. I ride horseback everywhere and try to arrange my travels to kill a few birds with one sweep. I don't know how you find things that are out of the way, if you fast travel. I guess I'm more patient then some.

I never fast travel. I use mods like Frostfall and Realistic Needs and Diseases as well as a dynamic time scale script that adjusts the time scale depending on player activity (low timescale in interiors and cities, very high timescale when on roads and in the wild to create the illusion of distance). I plan my travels. I do quests in batches based on locations. Generally I will only take up one main questline (relevant to the character) at a time, using it as a basis of where to travel next. I will travel to the hold capital nearest the next major objective, set up a temporary operating base at an inn or house and take the next few days/weeks to take care of all side quest objectives in the area before moving to the next. If I have to travel say from Solitude to Riften, I'm going to plan the trip spread out over several days - Day 1, Solitude to Dragon's Bridge. Day 2, Dragonsbridge to Robber's Gorge (camp), Day 3, Robber's Gorge to Rorikstead. Day 4, Rorikstead to Whiterun. Day 5, Whiterun to Ivarstead. Day 6, Ivarstead to Riften. Most of the time I will end up spending longer in Whiterun in order to sell off the loot collected over the journey, stock up on food and water, etc.

The only time I used the carriage was when I didn't have a horse and only because I had Scenic Carriages installed. I only travel by boat when there is no option (like Ice-Water Jetty to Castle Volkihar or Windhelm to Solstheim). After Dragonborn I frequently travel by Dragon Air but only because real-time fast travel is modpossible and I've already travelled the length and breadth of Skyrim many times over.

I also keep always run toggled off, even on horse-back because a horse can't gallop from one city to the next in one go without dying of exertion! If there is an urgent quest, I try to do it in as little time as possible. For instance, in the final Mages College quest, I had to travel to Labyrinthian and return with an object AT ONCE. I left immediately and returned less than two days later.

i use the carriage once, when it's time to buy a horse, my favorite race is in Markath, then i come back, travelling by road, with all textures and immersion mods it'll be a shame to fast travelling :wink:

in a recent playtrought, i used a follower and we don't ride horses, it was incredible, how dangerous & exciting travels became, if you look to each trail, caves etc.. i've forgotten about that, i always have a horse

but i'll try to find the timescale mod , it's interesting, i've found immersion mods sometimes boering, because of the time scale, you need to eat often, build campfire too, time's runnig to fast in Tamriel.

I also keep always run toggled off, even on horse-back because a horse can't gallop from one city to the next in one go without dying of exertion!

exactly, but i'm not always off, flying away from the 250 wolf or bear is good too;)

@@

Edited by korun

I tried reading other peoples replies.... got bored and fast traveled to the end to post my reply :P

I start the game out walking everywhere because no where is known. But for me it quickly becomes boring. I know where the encounter zones are. I know when to expect something etc. Might as well fast travel and avoid it if there is a known point near to where I have to go.

I tried reading other peoples replies.... got bored and fast traveled to the end to post my reply :P

I start the game out walking everywhere because no where is known. But for me it quickly becomes boring. I know where the encounter zones are. I know when to expect something etc. Might as well fast travel and avoid it if there is a known point near to where I have to go.

I think it depends really what kind of mods you are playing with. Mods like Skyrim Redone, Climates of Tamriel, Cold & Wet, maybe in addition Basic Needs and an additional Injurie modification slow you down. You have too look for firwood and shelter (your tent) if it is freezing cold after a while or a blizzard starts. You have to care about food and sleep if you use such a mod. If you install mods like the Hunter Guild, you roam around just for the wildlife.

In other words such mods add a lot of possibilities and gameplay in addition to any regular quests. It is not getting boring that fast, rather without such modifications but thats maybe a personal taste. But I think thats the strength of the Elder Quest series/Fallout in combination with such community mods which really fits well.

Edited by moxrox

To avoid risks: only with carriages.

To avoid boredom: only with a horse.

If there's a situation that feels like it would be wrong with fast travel, like if I'm expected to sneak my way out of a location, I'll play it out.

If you've never gone fast travel cold turkey you should try it, but like that other guy said do it long enough you learn where things happen, so you're all like, "Okay at that bush up there is going to either be a saber cat or polar bear. I'd better summon my atronach now and slip into sneak mode." That's messed up enough that fast travel seems normal by comparison.