How to remove LOD

Mcdoye

• 3 weeks later...

See the description of the mod "FNVLODGen". It details the locations of the LOD files. I suspect (but have never looked) that the vanilla versions are located in the FalloutNV BSA files. In the latter case, you may need to provide a replacement LOD in the DATA folders, so those get used instead of the vanilla files from the BSA. For an "object" like the Lucky38, perhaps a "dummy" file would work (never tried). Normally you just delete a mod's LOD files from the appropriate folders.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

So LOD is kind of complicated, if you're trying to remove LOD for your own game it's a little simpler, but not by much. The game is designed in separate worldspaces, so LOD for the strip in WastelandNV is different from WastelandNVMini, etc. You essentially have to find the coordinates on the map that the strip is built on in each of these worldspaces and delete the meshes that coincide with these coordinates. They should all be the same coordinates since WastleandNVMini has the exact same land data as WastelandNV. But if you're trying to delete LOD for your mod (not sure why you'd do this unless you're replacing this LOD) it can't really be done since the LOD is in the game files rather than something you can delete in an esp file. Be aware that game LOD is create in large chunks, so if you delete the strip's LOD meshes, you may also unintentionally delete other things that were in that same chunk. LOD is something I wouldn't mess with unless you're messing with your own worldspace because you can break the game really easily.

EDIT: I should also mention that I am unsure whether the Lucky 38 is entire made of LOD, it is possible that certain parts of the strip are "imposters" specifically the lights the illuminate at night. So you'd need to mess with the regional editor as well.

Edited by ashtonlp101

i see. i have tried opening all the lod meshes and shrinking them down to small size but it didnt work. and i am trying to do this for a mod i am making.