Should I use Oblivion Reloaded or try to assemble some other graphics mods? Can you recommend some?

Derethim

Hey there!

I'm wondering if I should even use OR, because of the feature creep and it's numerous bugs and me using OCOv2, which says in the description, that it hates skin shaders, I don't think it's a good idea. What am I missing-out on, if i'm not using OR? Because I always turn-off the useless animations, enhanced cameras, naked swimming and even parts of the graphics changes I have better replacements for.

Can I achieve a better look for the game without OR? I don't have an extremely high-end PC, mind you. I can run Witcher 3 in lower medium, same with games like Battlefield 4. I'm not interested in gameplay enhancements, mounted combat and all that BS - if I was, I'd download separate, more-specialized mods to do that. Right now I have OR installed and have no issues, except for visible seams on characters and I have yet to remove the annoying combat animations. For some reason, CombatMode is missing in OblivionReloaded.ini, which is annoying as hell, so I'll probably delete the meshes, right?

But i'd rather achieve a better look without OR, as I feel it'll cause problems I'll have to solve and tweak in the ini constantly. I'd rather have a more modular option.

So what do I use, except some good water replacer (Suggest some! I like vibrant colors and tropical-looking fantasy water!), ShadeMe, ENB (Also suggest something interesting! Doesen't have to be photorealistic, I actually prefer it to be not, for more fantasy look), retextures with parralax (Quarl's and some others, i'm covered texture-vise) and ... what else?

Edited by Derethim

The game is 14 years old and your question is also very hard to answer really... I would be very careful to install graphical stuff and things that will make the game look better and it is because it is so bloody sensible and it doesn't want anything more than crash and make the life miserable for you if you combine the wrong mods and no other Bethesda game crash so much or so easy as Oblivion does I guess... Maybe that is the main reason you didn't got any responses?

This thread has been visited 18 times, which means no one have been able to give you any ideas and neither can I.

Edited by Pellape

Going in either direction will require exactly the same thing from you ...careful study of the options available, and a thought out plan to test which of those options will be suitable to you.

What you are after is a truly individual thing ... for example I'm a vanilla guy who uses only a scattering of "improvement" mods (in my opinion the word "better" in a mod title is simply marketing, and means exactly that much to me). Nothing I use touches much more than a single element in the game (so no, you won't find Joes Really Really Awesome Oblivion Graphics Overhaul anywhere in my install order).

Not the answer you were after, but you were persistent so I obliged.

- Edit - +1 :ninja: for Pellape

Oh bother. Well.

I guess I have solved it on my own - I've found Oblivion Reloaded - Lite, which was not showing-up in the top mods, because it's quite fresh for this game. This has allowed me to turn-off the bad features of OR and the water, allowing me to use the best water imo, for Oblivion - Lush and Gaudy and added the texture replacement, so it's now beautiful. I'll install a couple of more mods, Monkey ENB and maybe I'll post a screen here, if everything stays as stable as it is. I had no crashes so far, or texture problems! Not even neck seams and OCO is especially sensitive to graphic improvements!

Do you guys have any good advice on searching newer, better mods on Oblivion Nexus? I've tried using the filters and setting a certain time period, but it's kind of hard to find newer "best" mods.