DAO-UE Steam Version Launching Issues

PerfectSurreality

Uh..hi! I don't think anyone really knows who I am or remembers me only as a ghost, but hi! I tend to be shy and ask a lot of questions, so I'm really sorry if I bother anyone here, however I've been running into an issue a lot recently and was hoping someone, anyone might be able to help me get this resolved (I've already asked Reddit, but in all honesty the subreddit scares me, lol).

Anyway, here is my issue: I recently received a new, quite powerful PC (I only say this because I've not dealt with high-end PCs like this before...) and have been reinstalling things on it. Of course my main concern was my Dragon Age games, however I am greatly struggling with just Origins at the moment.

To help make things easier to describe, I've attached this manifest of everything I've done up to this point (this is a record of my second attempt; it's a txt document that is clean, I just had to share it this way because I'm struggling in getting it to attach to this post for whatever reason...) and also included what I plan on doing next as well as my PC specs. I will also note that when I install mods, I will probably install Qwinn's fixpack first, since that is what I did originally on my laptop and do the LAA/4GB Switch patch later (probably the last thing I do? I'm not sure when I should do this or if the order of things even matters except in the instance of two particular mods I will be installing, so please let me know!).

I think that's everything. What a way to introduce yourself, ah... Anyway...thank you in advance for any and all help! I really hope we'll be able to get this working properly soon. I really want to be able to play these games on this computer...

Hello, ghost. :)

Sorry you're having such troubles. I can see you've been through quite a lot.

The ..Documents\BioWare folder typically holds info about your install - like profile, saves, mods, that sort of thing. Unless you've changed your profile (like by unlocking specializations or earning achievements) or have some saves you'd like to keep, you can ditch the folder when you uninstall... or rather, I should say the BioWare/Dragon Age folder. The ... Documents\BioWare folder also contains files associated with other BioWare games in their respective sub-folders, which you may wish to keep.

Your installation lists more steps than I remember ever going through - but I install through Origin. FWIW, and if you're interested in trying a different platform - you can register your CD Key from Steam into Origin and download/install it through Origin instead.

Whether you stick with Steam or move to Origin, I would suggest:

-- Make sure you uninstall everything. Unless you have a profile or character save you'd like to keep, ditch .. Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age

-- Fresh install

-- Start the game and make sure it works. Create a character, play a bit.

-- Install LAA patch. (large address aware, sometimes called 4GB).

-- Play awhile, make sure everything is still working.

-- Then install mods a few at a time. Do not use Vortex to install DA mods. Make sure the game still runs okay after you've installed each (small) batch of mods.

Hello, ghost. :smile:

Sorry you're having such troubles. I can see you've been through quite a lot.

The ..Documents\BioWare folder typically holds info about your install - like profile, saves, mods, that sort of thing. Unless you've changed your profile (like by unlocking specializations or earning achievements) or have some saves you'd like to keep, you can ditch the folder when you uninstall... or rather, I should say the BioWare/Dragon Age folder. The ... Documents\BioWare folder also contains files associated with other BioWare games in their respective sub-folders, which you may wish to keep.

Your installation lists more steps than I remember ever going through - but I install through Origin. FWIW, and if you're interested in trying a different platform - you can register your CD Key from Steam into Origin and download/install it through Origin instead.

Whether you stick with Steam or move to Origin, I would suggest:

-- Make sure you uninstall everything. Unless you have a profile or character save you'd like to keep, ditch .. Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age

-- Fresh install

-- Start the game and make sure it works. Create a character, play a bit.

-- Install LAA patch. (large address aware, sometimes called 4GB).

-- Play awhile, make sure everything is still working.

-- Then install mods a few at a time. Do not use Vortex to install DA mods. Make sure the game still runs okay after you've installed each (small) batch of mods.

Hi! :D

It's no worries, haha, It may be frustrating in the moment, but I'm overall a fairly patient person when it comes to technical stuff.

I actually was able to catch your reply just in time and carry out the steps you listed (with the exception that I've not installed the patch yet. I wanted to go through my mods first to make sure the problem wasn't the patcher after a restart or something, lol). I was finally able to narrow down what the issue was and it was a problem caused by the Dragon Age - Lighting Enhanced mod. Which is really weird since it still works on my laptop, but not on my desktop... It's also unfortunate since I really like this lighting mod, oof...maybe I can copy and use my laptop files to make it work. Hmm...

Aahh, sorry for the ramble! Thank you so, so much for your help! I would have never been able to guess it was a lighting mod that was stopping my game from launching! XD

I'm so glad you got it solved!

Maybe the lighting mod doesn't get along with your new video card or drivers? If the mod page doesn't offer any clues, you might want to check the posts tab there. Sometimes people post issues they've had along with solutions.

Have fun with your new rig!