Ugly blocky shadows on characters and NPC's

Se7enupMustang

Change these settings to this in your SkyrimPrefs.ini, (add them if they aren't present) If anything is already set to this in your ini, just ignore it.

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3

fInteriorShadowDistance=3000.0000

fShadowDistance=8000.0000

iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=1024

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048

iShadowSplitCount=2

fSpecularLODStartFade=2000.0000

fShadowLODStartFade=200.0000

iShadowMode=3

bTreesReceiveShadows=0

bDrawLandShadows=0

bShadowMaskZPrepass=0

iShadowMapResolution=4096

fShadowBiasScale=0.1500

iShadowMaskQuarter=4

iShadowFilter=3

bShadowsOnGrass=1

bDeferredShadows=0

bDrawShadows=1

The result should be sharp, crisp shadows.

Like so. http://oi50.tinypic.com/14ka3ol.jpg

Edited by ArtMurder

Most of the settings were already set like that, I did have to add iShadowFilter=3, bShadowsOnGrass=1, bDeferredShadows=0, bDrawShadows=1 but everything else was like you posted. It still didnt fix the shadows on charaters though, I added a shot so you can see.

on a side note while I have you here do you know any settings to make the terrain detail pop up suddenly in a less fugly way. I have everything maxxed out and it looks like the detail pops in at about 200 feet which is very very noticeable and aggravating.

Edited by Se7enupMustang

Holy mother of monkeys ArtMurder, before suggesting to raise the iShadowMapResolution to max find out if the persons rig can handle it or warn that old and slow rigs wont like it much! On a laptop or minimum requirement rig that could turn the game into a slideshow. And this one: bShadowsOnGrass=1 could really cause severe lag in places with lots of grass and does not improve the shadows at all, just makes the grass look better.

For the LOD, in the game setting drag all the LOD ones to the far right and test. If you get lag then bump them down until it is acceptable.

Holy mother of monkeys ArtMurder, before suggesting to raise the iShadowMapResolution to max find out if the persons rig can handle it or warn that old and slow rigs wont like it much! On a laptop or minimum requirement rig that could turn the game into a slideshow. And this one: bShadowsOnGrass=1 could really cause severe lag in places with lots of grass and does not improve the shadows at all, just makes the grass look better.

For the LOD, in the game setting drag all the LOD ones to the far right and test. If you get lag then bump them down until it is acceptable.

No performance issues here, I can max Skyrim on my laptop so it's nothing for my new desktop and like I said I have everything maxed and it still seems too be poping in way to close.

Edited by Se7enupMustang

• 1 year later...

This topic is 1 year ago ...

You already know how to fix the shadows?
If you don't know yet, here goes:

SkyrimPrefs.ini

iShadowMapResolutionSecondary = 8192
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary = 8192
iShadowMapResolution = 8192

:excl: **Attention** Huge impact on the VRAM use.

I have tested on Anise's Cabin (a empty/semi-desert place), before in this area my game uses 800mb VRAM...

after this tweak, use of VRAM reached 1957mb, so I quickly quit game to not burn my GPU. :geek:

• 1 year later...

I used to have them completely off, & somehow they came back. Sorry, but the implementation of shadows for this game kinda sucks, & I'd rather have them completely gone than have to deal with them.

How do you get rid of them completely? None of the mods or .ini tweaks make it playable. The weird thing is, I NEVER noticed them until I decided to reinstall and play this time.