Is there support for conflict detection between loose files and BSA?

KatCut

Well I know loose files always win over BSA files but can vortex tell me if there is a conflict between them so I can just delete the loose files I don't want to win over the conflicting BSA file?

i didn't know that Vortex coudn't tell that a loose file conflicted with one in a bsa. I always assumed that since loose files always win out, all Vortex had to do was make link for the loose file if that was needed, or no link at all if the bsa file was wanted.

I'm not a programmer so it seems churlish to complain, but this does seem like a potential issue. Especially for mods that replace textures and meshes etc. because the user may not want to replace all the files.

diziet

To use the tool Augusta refers to, you would:

1) Download your mod outside of Vortex

2) Use 7Zip or similar to unpack the mod

3) Use the tool to unpack all files in the BSA

4) Delete the BSA (important)

5) Zip the whole mod up again

6) Drag your modified mod to the Vortex mods page "drop here"

At this point, Vortex will do full file checking for conflicts.

This process is not hard, and is actually something I do every time I convert a Skyrim LE mod containing a BSA to SE.

To use the tool Augusta refers to, you would:

1) Download your mod outside of Vortex

2) Use 7Zip or similar to unpack the mod

3) Use the tool to unpack all files in the BSA

4) Delete the BSA (important)

5) Zip the whole mod up again

6) Drag your modified mod to the Vortex mods page "drop here"

At this point, Vortex will do full file checking for conflicts.

This process is not hard, and is actually something I do every time I convert a Skyrim LE mod containing a BSA to SE.

Add the tool to your Vortex dashboard, so you have all the tools at your disposal in one place.

What if Vortex had an option to unpack the BSA for you which would change the name of the bsa just as Vortex changes the names of existing files. Then at a later date you could ask Vortex to remove the unpacked files, and it would change the bsa file back to its original name?

This would be an optional thing listed in the remove,reinstall,show in filemanager' etc. menu As some mods say that they should not be converted to loose files.

diziet

What if Vortex had an option to unpack the BSA for you which would change the name of the bsa just as Vortex changes the names of existing files. Then at a later date you could ask Vortex to remove the unpacked files, and it would change the bsa file back to its original name?

This would be an optional thing listed in the remove,reinstall,show in filemanager' etc. menu As some mods say that they should not be converted to loose files.

diziet

There's a thread in the Vortex Code Development forum specifically asking for that feature