Important, please read! Mods getting deserved hits.

carleq2

I did not take it to mean sub-categories but rather full out categories. I may have misunderstood.

However the tagging system could be better implemented for the same effect I would think. However getting authors to tag or put their mods in the proper categories isn't always easy.

When the author uploads a file they could choose from a few options in a list,

Armour - Vanilla
Armour - CBBE
Armour - UNP
(other?)

Then by choosing a non-vanilla option a tag is assigned to place the mod in a sub-category, i'm no web designer but it doesn't sound impossible.

Edited by Ironman5000

RGMage2, you've misunderstood. your mod would go under armour.. And it'll show when searching for tattoo or whatever. It doesn't really change anything in a bad way. it would just add more power to the consumer, not restrictions to the authors.

Or simply just:

Armour

Armour(CBBE)

Armour(UNP)

Armour(other)

Since some people are terrified of having a vanilla stamp :P

Oh Idunno guys, you fight it out amongst yourselves. I simply want to shed some light on the subject, and make the category system simpler for the consumer. Surely there's many ways to improve upon what we have now, and have everyone happy.

Its not a bad idea (though I can see RGMage2's concern-and we aren't fighting of course....just working it out in all of our heads!).....as I said largely dependent on the person uploading their mod putting it in the correct place and/or tagging it properly. Making the site more user friendly is always something to consider. One of the reasons I always remind folks of the advanced search option that so many miss. Makes life easier sometimes wading though all the mods. :thumbsup:

What of the armors that are listed as UNP/CBBE/Vanilla, etc from the onset?

Many armors are released from the beginning as multiple body types and I wouldn't want people missing out on those either being listed "other" or the general "armor" and possibly being missed (I don't know how coding of categories works but usually its a pick one option for that and multiple tagging options?). Just throwing that out there.

With categories it wouldn't work in this case, the mod supporting more than 1 body. But with tagging, as is done now already, you can set all tags that apply to the mod at the same time.

However, if this is not for searching, where tags work, but for browsing, the devs might have to add tag-filtering to the browse screens first for this.

The trouble with categories is always, they're static. You cannot expect the site devs to constantly be changing them over and over, and especially not any single one of the authors to constantly be bothered to re-categorize their mods. That's what's not gonna fly with this.

OK so I guess it would definately have to be done with tags when uploading - add CBBE, UNP, Better Males etc. as tags then they can check as many as necessary so they show up in the relevant sub-categories. If users forget to check them then it's not the end of the world they will fall under armour as normal, but it's all about awareness so a little message would be helpful or something like that.

I have heard something about users being able to mess around with tags but I have experienced this personally...or just didn't notice, if they can then these new tags would need to exclusively visible to the uploader and can be accessed anytime after the initial release in case they decide to add more body compatibility.

I very much doubt this would be a herculean task for the designers, nor would it need constant maintenance. It's not like body mods get thrown out every other week, there are 5 that are really popular in skyrim right now, if there are more then I never heard of them. IF more should come along that are high in demand with say 20-50+ compatible armours then it's just a matter of adding another tag and sub-category.

Skyrim of all nexus hosted games is one that really needs a filter system with loads of mods still being pumped out, don't get me wrong I do use the advanced search and it is handy but it's not ideal sometimes and I do prefer using the categories interface as i'm sure many others do. If you need to keep constantly reminding users to use advanced search then it's obvious that it's not going down that well with most of them.

Edited by Ironman5000

This is interesting. So couldn't an author just select all the body mod tags if his mod supported all? Or each file he uploads on this mod page could have its own individual tag? That's what it's usually like, right? If you have a mod that adds stuff for all body mods, they usually have one file for each bodymod, right?

Anyway, it's good to hear pros and cons. And ironman has a very valid point what he said about lots of people not using the advanced search, or simply not knowing of it. Surely this calls for some means of simplifying search/categories. All suggestions are welcome, not only for categories. Anything to help make it easier :) thanks for all input so far.

This is interesting. So couldn't an author just select all the body mod tags if his mod supported all? Or each file he uploads on this mod page could have its own individual tag? That's what it's usually like, right? If you have a mod that adds stuff for all body mods, they usually have one file for each bodymod, right?

Anyway, it's good to hear pros and cons. And ironman has a very valid point what he said about lots of people not using the advanced search, or simply not knowing of it. Surely this calls for some means of simplifying search/categories. All suggestions are welcome, not only for categories. Anything to help make it easier :smile: thanks for all input so far.

Most of times authors upload seperate files but they are still hosted on the same page so page tags would be enough. If they have 3 files for 3 body types then the author would have the option to check the appropriate tags for them to appear in the sub-category filter system

I have heard something about users being able to mess around with tags but I have experienced this personally...or just didn't notice...

So, here's how to tag mods:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/images/1678793-1363632912.png

And here's how to search for mods with the tags you want:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/images/1678793-1363633078.png

Hope that helps! :thumbsup: