Criminal activity and regular executions in cities.

JimDaRulah

Hi nexus forums! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

So recently I've been installing mods to make the cities in skyrim more lively. After installing three mods that all add to city populations my cities have become very lively. Indeed, they feel more realistic. But there was one thing I noticed: things were too peaceful. I wanted to see petty thieves and pickpockets roaming the streets committing crimes that they may or may not be arrested for. I wanted to see the occasional citizen get killed by dark brotherhood members, and most of all, I wanted to see public executions of prisoners (possibly even the same AI that get arrested for crimes). I feel like these things would add that final element that my cities are missing right now. Things to disturb the peace. What do you guys think? Any modders up for this?

This is a great idea and I would love to see this happen. But i don't see public executions happening in any city besides solitude. It's the only city with a stage. Actually, I can possibly see public executions in front of the Shrine of Talos in Whiterun and at the gate of Mistveil keep in Riften. It would be cool and we can even recycle voice acting from Roggvirs execution. But I feel like scripting these things would be kind of hard because of actor AI. it's hard to control how npc's react when a fight goes down (like if guards are chasing after a thief, random people and shop owners will rush in and try to kill the thief too. I mean, it could be possible to make sequences of guards chasing after thieves (and then thieves yielding and getting arrested without going into combat mode so nearby npc's don't get riled up.

I would also like to see more npc brawls, they often try to kill each other for items that i drop, but i want to see npc's getting into fist fights like the one when you first enter Jorvaskarr

This is a great idea and I would love to see this happen. But i don't see public executions happening in any city besides solitude. It's the only city with a stage. Actually, I can possibly see public executions in front of the Shrine of Talos in Whiterun and at the gate of Mistveil keep in Riften. It would be cool and we can even recycle voice acting from Roggvirs execution. But I feel like scripting these things would be kind of hard because of actor AI. it's hard to control how npc's react when a fight goes down (like if guards are chasing after a thief, random people and shop owners will rush in and try to kill the thief too. I mean, it could be possible to make sequences of guards chasing after thieves (and then thieves yielding and getting arrested without going into combat mode so nearby npc's don't get riled up.

I would also like to see more npc brawls, they often try to kill each other for items that i drop, but i want to see npc's getting into fist fights like the one when you first enter Jorvaskarr

I like your ideas, the fist fights would be cool especially outside taverns and such. Regarding the executions in other cities, couldn't chopping blocks just be added to cities that don't have one? Oh and the guards chasing the thief is a good point you brought up, the chase would probably have to be scripted, one script the criminal gets away, the other he/she gets caught.

How bout if a guildmate (if you are a member of the thieves guild) is caught, you get to break him out of prison or something like that. :biggrin:

I was thinking about fun mini quests like that. Or if you're not part of any guild/faction, you can join the city guard and help apprehend criminals.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like there are several mod ideas floating around here...

1. Disturbing the Peace

Adding random crime events throughout the holds. Thieves entering/exiting houses, pickpocketing from vendors and random Dark Brotherhood assassinations. If they're noticed they get ran out of town and/or caught by the guard.

2. Capital Punishment

More public executions in holds similar to the one in Solitude, possibly with recycled dialog from said Solitude event. Could be linked to #1 in that those being killed were the ones caught earlier (perhaps an event that happens an x number of days after they're caught)

3. Guard Duty

Speaking to either a Jarl or his advisor allows you to sign up as a guard in their city, letting YOU perform the roles of option 2, with recycled text from your own arrest used as dialog options if a suspect surrenders. Optional script where members of the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood can't join, for obvious reasons.

4. Thieves Guild/Brotherhood rescue missions

Guild members will sometimes ask you to go on a mission to rescue a random comrade from a city's jail.

All of these sound really cool and would add more realism and options to the game. However, they could easily clash with city and guard mods.