Heavy Traffic ×

Flying NPC glitch / ground collision bug. How do I fix it?

SpadesNeil

This isn't the first and probably won't be the last time I experience a bug like this in Skyrim or any other Bethesda game. Anyway I have an NPC follower who's flying in the sky or clipping into the ground. I have teleported him several times in an effort to correct this but he keeps flying away as soon as we start walking.

How do I correct this problem? Disabling/enabling the NPC has yielded no results. He just flies back up again.

Also apparently I am a derp and accidentally posted this in the mod request forum. All of my what... But yea, to the mods, sorry about that.

Edited by Spades_Neil

Do other followers do it? flying in the sky like when you run around the world they fly in the air?.

I know I have problems that sound kinda like that but its in caves and ruins with the swinging axe's and logs they will get shot through the wall and teleport / fly around for a bit until I enter a new cell. But if they fly around everywhere you go and that, I think it would be something wrong with the animation of the npcs or something was on the npc.

Do other followers do it? flying in the sky like when you run around the world they fly in the air?.

I know I have problems that sound kinda like that but its in caves and ruins with the swinging axe's and logs they will get shot through the wall and teleport / fly around for a bit until I enter a new cell. But if they fly around everywhere you go and that, I think it would be something wrong with the animation of the npcs or something was on the npc.

At first it was happening to two followers, but it stopped with one of them. The other continues to suffer problems despite having left the cell it started in. It started in Namira's temple (I think that's her name... the one with the beacon).

Though I told him to feck off and go back home in hopes that it might solve the problem. Haven't seen the results just yet.

Edited by Spades_Neil

If you also have flying objects when loading a cell, a disabled Vsync might be the cause.

Check your slyrim.ini file, Display section: change iPresentInterval=0 to iPresentInterval=1

Also, VSync might be disabled in your GC driver.

• 4 years later...

Hello there !

There are two primary factors responsible for creating the infamous floating NPCs bug in Skyrim SE. The culprits are mods and graphic settings which increases simultaneous NPC spawns such as the Warzones mod by MyGoodEye, and the uGridstoload= , uExterior Cell Buffer= and fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS= settings in Skyrim.ini.

These two factors cause:

- Excessive immediate load on the physics engine.

- Not enough time to load in the core physics components of loaded NPCs before introducing script bloat, thus stalling and improperly loading the physics on specific NPCs.

Unfortunately, the solution to this problem cannot be 100% repaired because in some instances you will have an excessive amount of simultaneous spawns crippling the physics engine on NPC load regardless of NPC spawn distances. HOWEVER, there is a solution or a 'fix' which you can use to prevent this from happening in the general open world of Skyrim 99% of the time, by simply increasing the uExterior Cell Buffer= , and fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS range in Skyrim.ini so that it loads up the core NPC physics components into memory at a greater distance before Skyrim Script bloat takes over.

1: Contrary to what the S.T.E.P project recommends, use the following formula and apply the result to the uExterior Cell Buffer parameter where x is your uGridstoload value and y =0.3: round( (( uGridstoload=x +1 ) + ( uGridstoload= (x +1) * y ) )^2 )

So if uGridstoload=9 then uExterior Cell Buffer=169. Feel free to vary y between a value of 0.15 and 0.4 depending on the speed of your overall PC.

2: Under [Papyrus] increase fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS to fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=15000.0

I run a heavily modded and bloated Skyrim SE and this is the only 'Solution' I have discovered. See if this works for you because it has nearly entirely eradicated this pesky problem form me, just remember to start a new game !

Cheers !

Edited by TESFanatic2011

• 1 year later...

Hello there !

There are two primary factors responsible for creating the infamous floating NPCs bug in Skyrim SE. The culprits are mods and graphic settings which increases simultaneous NPC spawns such as the Warzones mod by MyGoodEye, and the uGridstoload= , uExterior Cell Buffer= and fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS= settings in Skyrim.ini.

These two factors cause:

- Not enough time to load in the core physics components of loaded NPCs before introducing script bloat, thus stalling and improperly loading the physics on specific NPCs.

Unfortunately, the solution to this problem cannot be 100% repaired because in some instances you will have an excessive amount of simultaneous spawns crippling the physics engine on NPC load regardless of NPC spawn distances. HOWEVER, there is a solution or a 'fix' which you can use to prevent this from happening in the general open world of Skyrim 99% of the time, by simply increasing the uExterior Cell Buffer= , and fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS range in Skyrim.ini so that it loads up the core NPC physics components into memory at a greater distance before Skyrim Script bloat takes over.

1: Contrary to what the S.T.E.P project recommends, use the following formula and apply the result to the uExterior Cell Buffer parameter where x is your uGridstoload value and y =0.3: round( (( uGridstoload=x +1 ) + ( uGridstoload= (x +1) * y ) )^2 )

So if uGridstoload=9 then uExterior Cell Buffer=169. Feel free to vary y between a value of 0.15 and 0.4 depending on the speed of your overall PC.

2: Under [Papyrus] increase fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS to fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=15000.0

I run a heavily modded and bloated Skyrim SE and this is the only 'Solution' I have discovered. See if this works for you because it has nearly entirely eradicated this pesky problem form me, just remember to start a new game !

Cheers !

I'm glad you made that necropost (did you know that you're replying to a 5 year old thread? lol) and now I will revive it again since this is a unique issue I discovered in my setup of Lexy's LOTD SE mod pack guide. I've been having weird NPC animation/rigging glitches in that setup, similar to that described here. I even blamed Sofia Follower mod for it since it first started happening there, and there are a lot of bugs reported with that mod.

Hopefully your changes help.

I am keeping uGridsToLoad at 5 (anything more is dangerous) but setting uExterior Cell Buffer to 100 - my PC can handle it. Additionally, I'm setting this in [Papyrus]:

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=5000.0

fUpdateBudgetMS=2.0

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=2.0

I don't want fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS to be 15000 because that means every loading screen will be a *minimum* of 15 seconds! So instead I allocate a little more CPU time to script budgeting; from 1.2 to 2.0 I hopefully will get ~50fps in combat with minimal stutter.

We'll see.

If I don't reply to this post within the next couple weeks then it's safe to assume my new play-through after these changes solved my problem.

Edited by dconnolly

Tried a combination of the suggestions listed above. Set fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=5000.0 but was still getting issues so I tried fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=15000.0 and it is not perfect but I've noticed the issue significantly less.

• 8 months later...

Hello there !

These two factors cause:

Cheers !

Ur the best thank you!

• 6 months later...

Hello there !

These two factors cause:

Cheers !

Aside from doing the "obvious fixes" (like capping fps, using the Havok Fix mod, using the Increased AI mod), I gave your INI tweaks a try as well.

I tried setting fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS to 15000.0 and uExterior Cell Buffer to 64 (ugrids at 5). I was still having the issue. I even increased fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS to 20000.0, but still was having the issue.

I'm at wits end atm.