Installing SKSE through Vortex problems

StoneCold185

I just got Skyrim SE on PC and want to play with mods. I know certain mods I want require SKSE64. I've gone to skse.silverlock.org and installed Current SE build 2.0.19. When I initially ran it, I had to through Internet Explorer and whenever I install and try and run it I'm directed to the View and track downloads for Internet Explorer and have the option to Run or Save (or drop down and save to specific location). However whenever I open, or save than open, it always redirects me back to the view and track downloads (I can't figure out how to install the SKSE build from silverlock without doing it through IE. At this point it just does automatically).

However, if I open Vortex and try and download SKSE through Vortex it runs it and installs straight into Vortex and applies it to my Skyrim SE. I can see SKSE files under my Skyrim SE folder, yet when I go to Mods in Vortex and open SKSE64 through File Manager, the files are in a different location as well. I'm guessing that's where it's pulling SKSE64 from when I run Skyrim, yet in the videos I've watched, they say move those files to your Skyrim folder (which they are also located for me).

I've tried downloading a mod that requires SKSE, like SkyUI. I install it in Nexsus with Mod Manager and it does it right in Vortex. I install it and once it's complete I get a pop up from SkyUI saying that my SKSE version is too old. Tells me to go to the site to download newest SKSE, which is where I initially installed it. If I just ignore it and hit continue, it says install complete. Even though I know there are most likely mistakes in the installation or files are in the wrong spot, I try to run Skyrim SE with the 'skse64 loader' under my Skyrim SE folder and it doesn't run. If I don't have SkyUI installed, than Skyrim SE does run with 'skse64 loader'.

I'm very new to this, tried watching videos that walk you through it, but I run into problems or roadblocks that don't appear in videos, so I'm stuck. I've installed programs like 7-Zip as well, but when I try and save SKSE64 to that, through the Internet Explorer downloads page, I can't because I don't have permission, and that I need to contact the administrator, despite me being the administrator.

I'm close to just uninstalling everything and trying to start from scratch, but I'm afraid b/c I spent so long messing around with it and moving files, that I have files that I am going to miss and will cause problems for me again if I try to start again from fresh. And also the fact, that I'm not 100% what I would need to uninstall in order to start from scratch.

If anyone has any ideas on what the problem(s) are or what I'm doing wrong, or what I should be doing instead, I would greatly appreciate any advice or help. I'm more than happy to try and answer questions regarding it or try and explain anything further. Thanks!

Pic 1: Internet Explorer download page for SKSE

Pic 2: (Left) Skyrim SE folder with SKSE launcher and other files. (Right) SKSE opened through File Manager in Vortex.

Pic 3: Vortex Mod page, w/ SKSE64 and SkyUI. I open SKSE64 in File Manager to see where it has it located.

Edited by StoneCold185

1. Use something else other than Internet Explorer, people generally use Internet Explorer ONCE, to download Chrome, Opera, Firefox etc.
2. You keep opening File Manager in Vortex which is showing you the proper MOD STAGING FOLDER where SKSE64 and all your other mods are supposed to be installed by Vortex.
3. The SKSE64 installation on the left looks perfectly fine.
4. I assume the folder on the right hand screenshot is from inside the Mod Staging folder which is perfectly fine as well.
The problem is Internet explorer because it sounds like SKSE64, is in "Limbo" as it hasn't downloaded and SAVED to your hard drive, and instead has been Opened by Vortex and the actual SKSE64 archive hasn't been downloaded and SAVED.

Currently, You're tempted to Uninstall everything and start from scratch, because everything is working as it should.

1. Use something else other than Internet Explorer, people generally use Internet Explorer ONCE, to download Chrome, Opera, Firefox etc.

2. You keep opening File Manager in Vortex which is showing you the proper MOD STAGING FOLDER where SKSE64 and all your other mods are supposed to be installed by Vortex.

4. I assume the folder on the right hand screenshot is from inside the Mod Staging folder which is perfectly fine as well.

The problem is Internet explorer because it sounds like SKSE64, is in "Limbo" as it hasn't downloaded and SAVED to your hard drive, and instead has been Opened by Vortex and the actual SKSE64 archive hasn't been downloaded and SAVED.

Currently, You're tempted to Uninstall everything and start from scratch, because everything is working as it should.

Okay, well that's good to hear. How can I go about using opening/saving SKSE64 w/o IE. When I first clicked the link in silverlock, Windows asked which app I should use to run and IE was my only option. Now each time I try to run/save SKSE64 from silverlock, it runs it with IE automatically. How can I switch that, so it doesn't use IE? And what would be my alternative? I have Chrome and such, and I that's the browser I was using when searching silverlock. When I click options in the IE downloads (Pic 1) it only asks where I want my downloads to go.

Edit: But SKSE does work, because it runs when I launch it using the 'skse64loader' . It just doesn't launch once I have a mod installed (like SkyUI).

Edited by StoneCold185

Okay, well that's good to hear. How can I go about using opening/saving SKSE64 w/o IE. When I first clicked the link in silverlock, Windows asked which app I should use to run and IE was my only option. Now each time I try to run/save SKSE64 from silverlock, it runs it with IE automatically. How can I switch that, so it doesn't use IE? And what would be my alternative? I have Chrome and such, and I that's the browser I was using when searching silverlock. When I click options in the IE downloads (Pic 1) it only asks where I want my downloads to go.

Edit: But SKSE does work, because it runs when I launch it using the 'skse64loader' . It just doesn't launch once I have a mod installed (like SkyUI).

Right click on the download link and see if picking SAVE AS... works

are you ENABLING and DEPLOYING SkyUI?

Vortex is set to deploy mods when enabled, which they are. And saving as still runs it under IE. Wherever I save the file, whether in a folder or desktop. When I open it, it brings me to the IE download page (pic 1).

You've somehow associated Internet Explorer with OPENING 7z files.

Click on the Notification area down in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and pick ALL SETTINGS----->APPS---------->DEFAULT APPS------>scroll down a little bit in the right hand side of the window and select CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILETYPE

This will take a little bit, 30-45 seconds or so.

scroll until you find .7z (it should be near the top of the list, is it set to 7-Zip File Manager? or is it set to Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, or whatever they're claling it now?

Vortex is set to deploy mods when enabled, which they are. And saving as still runs it under IE. Wherever I save the file, whether in a folder or desktop. When I open it, it brings me to the IE download page (pic 1).

Click on the Notification area down in the bottom right hand corner of your screen and pick ALL SETTINGS----->APPS---------->DEFAULT APPS------>scroll down a little bit in the right hand side of the window and select CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILETYPE

scroll until you find .7z (it should be near the top of the list, is it set to 7-Zip File Manager? or is it set to Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge, or whatever they're claling it now?

So I messed around more, and think I messed with too many stuff. I deleted files and folders and uninstalled Skyrim. I'm gonna start from scratch. Going to reinstall Skyrim SE on Steam. Then start the process again. I was able to right click the skse folder on the desktop and extract files with 7 zip. That created a new folder with all the goodies in it, yet all those goodies were already in my Skyrim SE folder, like shown in Pic 2 on the left.

My default app for .7z is Internet Explorer. When I try to change it, it's either IE, Notepad, or 'Look for app in Microsoft Store'. No option to select 7-Zip or to choose elsewhere in my PC.

So I messed around more, and think I messed with too many stuff. I deleted files and folders and uninstalled Skyrim. I'm gonna start from scratch. Going to reinstall Skyrim SE on Steam. Then start the process again. I was able to right click the skse folder on the desktop and extract files with 7 zip. That created a new folder with all the goodies in it, yet all those goodies were already in my Skyrim SE folder, like shown in Pic 2 on the left.

My default app for .7z is Internet Explorer. When I try to change it, it's either IE, Notepad, or 'Look for app in Microsoft Store'. No option to select 7-Zip or to choose elsewhere in my PC.

Uninstalling everything and starting from scratch is NOT going to fix the problem you have of Internet Explorer being associated with opening 7z files.

You're going to end up in the same place you were.

Not looking for it to fix the problem. Looking for it to clean up the mess of folders/files that were tossed around. Still haven't been able to figure out how to open .7z files with 7-Zip.

You need to run the 7zip INSTALL again and go through the options and tell it so associate itself with 7z, rar, zip etc files

Everything else from your screen shots at the bottom of your post, was exactly right