[LE] Help! BSA Nightmare, Souira Mod

Hypn0sef

First of all I apologize if this isn't the correct location or if there's a pre-existing thread.

Okay so I've spent close to 5 months working hours a day on this massive palace mod. I made hundreds of textures and meshes (I realize now I went a bit overboard) and it all works great on my machine. I've made a few mods before but never uploaded them so didn't have to deal with BSA's and all that. So here's my whole ordeal:

When trying to use the built in CK archive option, the CK freezes. It often shows, "Not responding" when doing large operations like exporting Facegen, etc, so I let it ride. After probably 20 minutes I gave up and quit out. This is before it evens loads the page of used assets.

Next I tried the Archive tool. I used TESedit to find all used assets and exported them as a (massive, 2 gb) BSA. Tried loading the mod based on just the ESP and this new BSA. The initial quest fails to run, and when fast traveling to the location, the game CTDs.

Next I tried it with a separate Texture BSA. With this configuration the game didn't quit, but objects showed the red missing mesh icon (despite being in the BSA) various other objects showed up purple (despite the textures being in the texture BSA.)

I'm close to ripping my hair out feeling like all these months of work were for naught. If you can help I'll love you forever.

PS. I read the pinned BSA thread but it didn't give me the answer. I also watched the DarkFox127 tutorial on the subject on Youtube and followed it exactly.

Should I just pack all the loose files? I feel like that will be a maaaaasive file and no one will download it because it'll be like 3 gb.

Edited by Hypn0sef

I always use the archive tool for bsa's. I followed DarkFox's tutorial as well:

starting at around 6:30. Make sure all of the files you want to pack are in the data folder on your desktop. For packing as loose files, I think 7z format gets the file size down the most as opposed to other zip formats.

Edited by dylbill

Thanks for the reply! My next attempt will be as loose files. It's bizarre it seems like the game just doesn't recognize the BSA. I just remade it with everything packed together, and deployed mods through Vortex to update the FNIS and it says "0 animations for 0 mods" despite my mod having animations files! I always looked at spotless mods and thought, "I could do that" ha. This is what I get.

Oh crap, that's no bueno. Always make backups of your stuff, (I learned this the hard way too). Did you completely remove the bsa when testing with loose files again? That might have been the problem. Also, try not compressing and only ticking the Retain file names box when making the bsa. Also good modding practice, is if you're making new assets, textures and meshes and such, make a new folder that's your mod name in those folders so you can easily find the new stuff you made.

I moved the data folder to make a new blank one with just my ESP/BSA in it to test. Vortex seems to have messed things up, so I unpacked the BSA back into my data folder but it still CTD's when trying to load a cell. It's a huuuuuge bummer and I'm honestly pretty devastated but it was my first mod on that scale and I made a bunch of mistakes I couldn't fix so I'm just gonna start something new on a much smaller scale with a bunch of the assets I made. It's a bummer but ya live and ya learn.

I did have everything custom in a separate folder, which I still have (thank god.) but this time around I'm gonna organize my assets much better so they're easier to archive. Thanks for the tips and commiseration!

R.I.P Souira 2020-2021

Edited by Hypn0sef

Haaaaallelujah!! I figured it out and salvaged hundreds of hours of work. Some of the textures were corrupted in the archiving process, but luckily none of the ones I made myself and thus wouldn't have had a backup of. CK trying to load them was causing the CTD, (whoever is behind CK Fixes is my hero because without the log I never would've known.) So I removed all the textures and now it loads!! It's a bluish-purple mass but I can easily just redownload the textures from the assorted resources. I'll still have to figure out the BSA/loose files but hell at least I'll be able to play it myself, I thought I ruined it for myself trying to share it with others, the irony.

So if anyone saw Souira briefly posted the other day and thought 'that looks cool' then saw this and was like 'aw s***' don't you worry!

Edited by Hypn0sef