Could it be possible to add gem sockets to armor and weapons where you could add enchanted gems or soul gems to improve the value and add more than two enchantments to an item?

Helmets would have one socket, chestplate would have four, gauntlets two and boots, also, two. Shields would have one-three

Onehanded weapons would have one socket each, twohanded two, bows two and staves one.

Gems of higher value would be able to carry more powerfull enchantments and soul gems would recharge your enchanted weapons when depleted, or fortify the current enchantments.

To fit gems to weapons you'd need the arcane smithing perk, the required perk to upgrade wanted armor twice as much as well as the extra effect AND the soul siphon perk. The requirements can be discussed, but since adding more than two effects to an item would be quite OP, so you would have to work for it and earn it.

I got this idea when playing monster hunter where this i possible. I'm no modder, so all i can do is to help with ideas, but would love to see this in game and i hope other players would enjoy this too.

So, Forums? What do you think? Is it even possible? Would any armor/weapon, even mod-added, be able to have gems fitted?

I am not sure it is possible to be honest, or it would be extremely time consuming since every single armor would need to be changed to implement this. I even did a mod that added "enchanted" gems that could just be equipped to have that little feeling of sockets but it is very far from the same since they take extra slots and arent inserted in an armor.