Will there be an Empire in (hypothetical) TES VI?

Dovahkiin234

If/when there's a new Elder Scrolls set after Skyrim, do you think the Empire will still be around? I think not. The only remaining provinces are Cyrodiil and High Rock, if you liberate Skyrim, Hammerfell was denounced as a province, Morrowind does next to nothing politically (probably because of the Red Mountain), and Elseweyr and Valenwood were ceded to the Aldmeri Dominion. The Empire is at its weakest ever, so it's pretty much screwed.

Comments? Opinions? Contradictions?

I think we may have some sort of divine intervention again in a future game, with an Emperor chosen by the Gods, like before. Politically and economically, it has no reason to exist anymore, but the Empire was never about those things - it was always about the Divines giving someone the power to unify the people.

As a mundane institution, without having anything to do with the magical forces of TES series, there is no reason for an empire just like there isn't in real life. But since I don't think TES will ever leave the setting of medieval high fantasy, with kings and such, I don't think they will (or should) go through a political revolution like the real world has. Besides, the lore is all about almighty beings, mythology and magic. They can use it to justify an eternal "medieval" structure. Emperors in real life often used claims of connection to the divine to secure their authority after all. In TES it just happens to be true. :biggrin:

Or we may have several kingdoms again, one for each province or the like. But I think there will be some kind of unification or alliance. I confess I quite like the idea of independent kingdoms. It also brings more chances for racial/economical struggles. And it's nice not having this single power make all decisions with the provinces having little power to argue.

Edited by sisterof

If/when there's a new Elder Scrolls set after Skyrim, do you think the Empire will still be around? I think not. The only remaining provinces are Cyrodiil and High Rock, if you liberate Skyrim, Hammerfell was denounced as a province, Morrowind does next to nothing politically (probably because of the Red Mountain), and Elseweyr and Valenwood were ceded to the Aldmeri Dominion. The Empire is at its weakest ever, so it's pretty much screwed.

Dude, that why they'll still be around. They've put the Empire in dark times because it's dramatic, and just writing it out between games would be kinda meaningless. It's standard storytelling.

It would be pretty cool to have the Aldmeri Dominion as the dominant force and a whole game devoted to overthrowing them, but I don't know how the developers would deal with the Dragonborn's presence. How would they explain that the great hero of Skyrim just stood aside as the Dominion took over? That makes me think that they'll have to resolve the issue in a DLC.

It would be pretty cool to have the Aldmeri Dominion as the dominant force and a whole game devoted to overthrowing them, but I don't know how the developers would deal with the Dragonborn's presence. How would they explain that the great hero of Skyrim just stood aside as the Dominion took over? That makes me think that they'll have to resolve the issue in a DLC.

They will do what they did with allthe other heros to explain why they did nothing afterwards by making them vanish.

They will do what they did with allthe other heros to explain why they did nothing afterwards by making them vanish.

The other heroes were hardly demi-gods as the Dragonborn is. In Oblivion you weren't even the hero as much as the hero's henchman. And in Morrowind you (maybe) were the reincarnation of an important warchief, not a supernaturally strong individual by any chance. The Dragonborn is quite above any other hero we've played as.

Maybe Bethesda has written itself into a corner with giving us such a powerful protagonist. :ermm:

Edited by sisterof