Serious WorldSpace issue

ashtonlp101

Hello all,

I have encountered a mod-breaking bug that has occured on my esp. I was creating a world space and after doing some landscapeing I returned to my town which was completed and encountered this: The landscape "cracked" and it deleted all of my landscape painting. Has anyone encountered this before? I'm used to landscape cracking, I can fix that but this completely deleted hours of work. What the actual f***, GECK. The level of angry I am right now is unimaginable.

EDIT: To the people who created the GECK Extender: You guys are amazing, I remembered that they have a backup save functionality. Saved my ass.

https://imgur.com/d8KJFv6

Edited by ashtonlp101

Yeah, back up your mod often whenever you do anything with worldspaces. Welcome to the buggiest parts of the GECK.

The first thing to do is make sure that the GECK just hasn't gone all schizo on you. Exit out of the GECK and restart / reload your mod and see if the changes are actually still there. Sometimes the render window goes off into the weeds and you can get all kinds of visual bugs. In many cases your mod isn't actually anywhere near as screwed up as the render window makes it look like it is.

How big is your esp? Are you using networked mode and version control? The more memory your esp uses, the more likely the GECK is to go out into the weeds. Check in your changes fairly often and you will be much less likely to run into GECK issues.

Mongo, thank you for giving such great advice 24/7! I tried setting up version control, but I am terrible at following instructions on the Wiki. I did close the GECK and reloaded the esp, unfortunately the issue persisted. Like I said, luckily the GECK extender backs up your ESP every time you save so I luckily got a backup right before the GECK broke my worldspace. What I'm wondering about GECK Extender is, since it enables using ESMs as active files, can using that feature enable me to surpass the 16MB if I simply convert my esp to an ESM and use it in the GECK Extender? I'm currently at 5.5 MB.

Edited by ashtonlp101

What I'm wondering about GECK Extender is, since it enables using ESMs as active files, can using that feature enable me to surpass the 16MB if I simply convert my esp to an ESM and use it in the GECK Extender? I'm currently at 5.5 MB.

Nope.

Here is the reason why. When you create something in the GECK that has an ID, the first two hex digits of the ID are used by the game for the mod's index number. The rest of the numbers are the offset into the file.

So for example, let's look at the ID for purified water, 000151A3. The 00 at the beginning is the mod index (FalloutNV.esm) and the 0151A3 is the offset. The largest offset you can have with 6 hex digits is FFFFFF which is 16 MB minus 1.

The way you are wanting to do it, as soon as your mod gets to be larger than 16 MB, as soon as you add anything with an ID, the offset for it is going to overflow the 6 hex digits allocated to it. Boom. Your mod is dead. The GECK can't fix it, and it won't work in the game. As soon as the GECK encounters that messed up offset, it crashes the GECK. Same with the game itself, as soon as it encounters that messed up offset, FNV crashes.

When you check things in to version control, the GECK will re-order things so that anything with an ID is placed towards the beginning of the file.

If you don't use version control, anything with an ID gets tacked on to the end of the file. Exceed 16 MB and add something with an ID, and you're done. Your mod is forever broken.

It's not the esp vs esm that makes the difference here. It's the fact that version control is smart enough to place things with IDs where they need to be.

The GECK extender allows you to edit esm files, but it edits them the same way it edits esp files, by simply tacking new records onto the end of the file. It won't help you.

Okay that makes sense, I'll see if I can figure out how to get Version Control to work. I always have issues with the Wiki mainly because it has very brief instructions and doesn't provide many details so when I run into an unexpected complication I'm at a dead end. Perhaps I could ask Seddon if he can make a quick video about it, he did afterall work on New California so maybe he can provide a good video.

What complications are you running into?

All you do is set up a shared network folder and copy/paste some stuff into your ini files. That's it. There are a couple of entries in the wiki that are wrong but I think I told you what those were in one of your other threads.

Make sure you copy your original ini files somewhere so that you can get back to them. I keep a folder with my original ini files in it and another folder with the networked version ini files in it. When I want the GECK to be in networked mode I copy over the networked ini files and start the GECK. When I don't want the GECK in networked mode I copy the original ini files over and start the GECK.

Make sure you run the GECK as administrator while in networked mode or you can end up with permission issues which will prevent it from working.

I will get to it right now, if any issues persist I will edit this post. I had to wait till today because I've been generating LOD for the past 14ish hours with a nice interruption of my cat stepping on my keyboard, crashing the GECK.

EDIT: So I'm not sure what's going on, this is what stopped me last time. I click Ctrl+Shft+B and the Geck Locks up on me, it isn't loading anything it just gives me taht generic Windows ding sound. I can't click anything to close out of any menus.

Edited by ashtonlp101