Deploying Mods via Vortex causes Fallout 3 to Crash at start-up idk why

ChaosGuilt

First of all, I really trust Vortex about modding. It's very reliable and easy to use. The only thing is, I've run into a problem with it and I need to know why and I need help.

Whenever I click "deploy mods" in Vortex, Fallout 3 just crash at start up. Assuming it messes up my INI configuration when deploying because whenever I delete my broken INI caused by it and replace it with my back-up INI, only then Fallout 3 would launch and work. Even when I did nothing or installed no mods and just click "deploy mods," it makes Fallout 3 to crash at start up so as a temporary solution, I replace it back with my backup INI over again.

I never had this problem. Most of problem I've run up to are rather visible and am able to fix but this one is pretty much rare and I've search online but hardly found any same with my problem.

This seems like a weird quirk. Can you try this:

1. Deploy your mods and start the game, confirm it is currently crashing.
  2. Replace your INI with the "working" one, confirm the game loads.
  3. Now click deploy.
  4. Try starting the game again.

What should happen when you deploy is that Vortex will save any changes made to your INIs since last deployment. So the resulting INI file should be functionally identical to the working one, but in a different order.

If this still doesn't work can you please send feedback through Vortex itself (top-right, 3 dots) and make sure to attach both the "broken" and "working" INI files, along with your Vortex log file.

• 1 month later...

I'm very sorry for the late reply. I forgot I had this post. Anyways, thank you for responding and tying to help. I've already found a solution not long after scrutinizing stuff around after the problem.

I've found out that my Fallout.ini, that can be found in Documents>My Games, and my Fallout_default.INI, that can found on Steam folder, are not identical to each other, so I copied the contents that the other does not have or is different and changed it identically and set them READ-ONLY. After that, I can now play without crash at start up or when deploying mods. My guess is that it by setting it to read-only, it prevents vortex from 'messing' them when deploying.

Also, just to include, I've done the things you said before even I got to read your reply soo yeah. I've tried them the testing you gave and confirm, that's exactly what happens, and results to crash after the 4th step. I've also sent the broken and the working INI files just in case if needed for examination.

I've found out that my Fallout.ini, that can be found in Documents>My Games, and my Fallout_default.INI, that can found on Steam folder, are not identical to each other,

The Fallout_Default.ini in the steam folder is just a backup of the default ini file.

Your fallout.ini file in Documents>MyGames will never match the default one once you run the game launcher, it's not supposed to.