Skyrim SE - Mods won't activate unless I use the in-game "Mods" menu to enable them

kairlano2
Go to solution Solved by kairlano2,

Hi all, I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I have fresh install of Skyrim SE and a slew of mods I've downloaded through Vortex.

The mods have been downloaded, installed, enabled, and deployed through Vortex. Plugins too (these weren't auto-enabling or deploying on their own; not sure if that's important). Staging folder is on the same drive as the game itself, and Hardlink Deployment is enabled.

When launching Skyrim SE (also through Vortex) and starting a new character, the only mods that appear active are texture replacements. All other mods are not active. I've tested this by starting a new game (Alternate Start doesn't kick in) and using console commands to search for new armors that should have been added (Kynreeve, for example).

The main menu in Skyrim SE has a "Mods" section. All of my mods appear here, and I can enable them using the shoddy built-in menu. It's my understanding that I shouldn't need to use this menu, and in fact it can conflict with Vortex. However, after enabling the mods here, they do appear. All of the mods activate as soon as start up a new game. Well, all except SKSE...I get a ton of errors saying it's at "Version 0.00.0" instead of the current version (which I have installed using Vortex). This obviously breaks SkyUI and many others.

So. Do y'all have any ideas? Am I supposed to be using the "Mods" menu within Skyrim itself?

DO NOT open the built in menu.
The built in menu also uses a PLUGINS.TXT file to keep track of mods, when you open that menu, you are most likely deactivating all the mods that were activated with Vortex, and restoring your load order to the plugin.txt for the built in mod manager.

Instead.

Before you load the game, and if you've Installed, ENABLED< and DEPLOYED the Mods, go to the PLUGIN TAB in Vortex and see if they're ENABLED (GREEN)

• Solution

Alright, so, after uninstalling/reinstalling Skyrim SE and launching it clean from Vortex with all of the Plugins Enabled, I am now able to see my mods activate within the game without using the "Mods" menu. SKSE is still busted for some reason, but that is likely a separate issue. Marking this as fixed! Thanks!

Alright, so, after uninstalling/reinstalling Skyrim SE and launching it clean from Vortex with all of the Plugins Enabled, I am now able to see my mods activate within the game without using the "Mods" menu. SKSE is still busted for some reason, but that is likely a separate issue. Marking this as fixed! Thanks!

Did you install SKSE manually or with Vortex?

Also, did you set SKSE64 in Dashboard as PRIMARY?