Miraak is unkillable.

Relativelybest

So, I can't kill the final boss of Dragonborn.Thanks, Bethesda.

What happens is that when he goes etheral and starts offing his own dragons, I get the dragon soul instead, and he remains locked in his etheral state. Now, I figured out that resetting his health with the console snaps him out of it so we can keep fighting, so that part is manegable.

The real problem is that he gets stuck trying to soul-steal the second dragon over and over and over and never kills Sahrotaar. No matter how many rounds I go against this guy he never dies.

I've tried everything! Killing Sahrootar myself, damaging Miraak as slowly as possible, disabling and enabling him, exiting and reentering the cell, turning all my mods off. Nothing. The kill command does nothing. Trying to make him non-essential does nothing. I can force the quest to end but it won't actually kill him. I can make Hermaeus Mora appear but he just kinda floats there and doesn't do anything. I've spent the last four hours trying to get around this. It's maddening.

Edit: And I probably should have put this in Technical Support, damn. If any mod sees this, feel free to move it.

Edited by Relativelybest

I had this same problem in my second playthrough, I just reloaded an earlier save and quicksaved it at the start of fighting. After a couple of reloads he comes out of his 'freeze' state and I would quicksave at the start of the next round...he would freeze again at his next revival, I repeated this right through the fighting and healing process until the final sequence with Mora

Kill him with the console.

Doesn't work. He's apparently essential in some weird way that makes his scripted death the only way to kill him.

So, yeah. I can't beat him even by cheating.

I had this same problem in my second playthrough, I just reloaded an earlier save and quicksaved it at the start of fighting. After a couple of reloads he comes out of his 'freeze' state and I would quicksave at the start of the next round...he would freeze again at his next revival, I repeated this right through the fighting and healing process until the final sequence with Mora

How much earlier a save? The quicksave I made just before the battle yields the same result every single time. I have a save from after I learned the last Bend Will shout but before I went to Apocrypha, but if I have to go back to before I started the quest I'll need to redo a lot of tedious stuff.

I found I could skip the whole dragon thing by killing all the dragons before actually hurting Miraak. Doing this makes him run to the center of the area, but then he just stands there - Mora never shows up, and he becomes impervious to anything I do to him.

I'm not sure if he has to absorb those dragon souls in order for Mora to appear, or if I'm dealing with two separate glitches.

Edited by Relativelybest

Another user was having the same issue, maybe this will help you: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/945880-at-the-summit/

The user was having a conflicting mod. But if that's not it, I suggest you look into the link I gave. If the battle is too hard, just toggle godmode and let it happen as it should - Miraak gets the Dragon souls, argues with the Dragons for a bit and so on. Then, let him get to the central pool. Hermaeus Mora should say something in the moment Miraak's health drops for the last time. If that doesn't happen, you can try advancing the quest like the link to UESPwiki suggests. Using the console to kill him will do no good - it's a heavily scripted battle, and you never kill him per se, not even in the end.

I suggest you try disabling every mod before just making the quest move with cheats, though, because the dialogue is pretty neat. Dragonborn's mainquest is one of my favorites. :happy:

Edited by sisterof

Kill him with the console.

Doesn't work. He's apparently essential in some weird way that makes his scripted death the only way to kill him.

So, yeah. I can't beat him even by cheating.

>>I had this same problem in my second playthrough, I just reloaded an earlier save and quicksaved it at the start of fighting. After a couple of reloads he comes out of his 'freeze' state and I would quicksave at the start of the next round...he would freeze again at his next revival, I repeated this right through the fighting and healing process until the final sequence with Mora

How much earlier a save? The quicksave I made just before the battle yields the same result every single time. I have a save from after I learned the last Bend Will shout but before I went to Apocrypha, but if I have to go back to before I started the quest I'll need to redo a lot of tedious stuff.

I found I could skip the whole dragon thing by killing all the dragons before actually hurting Miraak. Doing this makes him run to the center of the area, but then he just stands there - Mora never shows up, and he becomes impervious to anything I do to him.

I'm not sure if he has to absorb those dragon souls in order for Mora to appear, or if I'm dealing with two separate glitches.

I just used the last save, Which I think was during the aerial battle on the dragon, it took roughly 4 or 5 times after each time he froze in the fountain like a hit and miss. I killed the first dragon just before Miraak did or at the same time and I thought that caused the initial glitch. I was so thankful to finally finish that level...tgm doesn't work as he automatically resigns to the fountain as soon as he is on the point of death..no cheating didn't help at all. In fact I haven't taken another character to that level yet as an hour or so of repeated saving and loading because of some glitch took the fun out of it. I did the first playthrough of that level a couple of days earlier and had no problems at all....same mods and everything

@ sisterof, I have never had the mod mentioned in that thread, and as I had the same mods I had in my earlier walkthrough, I thought it would be strange if they were to blame, no I think it has more to do with killing the dragons, I left them alone after I killed the first one, although it glitched every time he went to the middle pool

Edited by breakwind

It is a notoriously buggy scene, as scripted things tend to be. I had no issues in the first playthrough, but had all sorts of weirdness in the other 3 or 4 times I did it again for pictures.

Good you got it working! The link to UESPwiki explains how to advance the quest using setqueststage, which is a good trick if you've tried 10 times and cannot muster enough Jedi patience.

Another user was having the same issue, maybe this will help you: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/945880-at-the-summit/

Read it, doesn't provide much help. I can get him out of the pool but not stop him from looping, unless I kill all the dragons first, in which case he just freezes in the pool forever.

The user was having a conflicting mod. But if that's not it, I suggest you look into the link I gave.

I've read the bug list, but there doesn't seem to be any way to fix this problem. Either it's absolutely necessary for Miraak to absurd those dragon souls, or the final cutscene with Mora is simply broken.

If the battle is too hard, just toggle godmode and let it happen as it should - Miraak gets the Dragon souls, argues with the Dragons for a bit and so on. Then, let him get to the central pool. Hermaeus Mora should say something in the moment Miraak's health drops for the last time.

I've tried every concievable variation of difficulty and god moding. Nothing changes: I still get the dragon souls instead of Miraak and the battle never ends.

If that doesn't happen, you can try advancing the quest like the link to UESPwiki suggests.

I've tried advancing the quest with the console, but all it does is update my quest log and unlock the altar. It doesn't kill Miraak or end the battle.

Using the console to kill him will do no good - it's a heavily scripted battle, and you never kill him per se, not even in the end.

Yeah, I noticed.

I suggest you try disabling every mod before just making the quest move with cheats, though, because the dialogue is pretty neat. Dragonborn's mainquest is one of my favorites. :happy:

Thanks, that cheers me right up. :dry:

I just used the last save, Which I think was during the aerial battle on the dragon, it took roughly 4 or 5 times after each time he froze in the fountain like a hit and miss. I killed the first dragon just before Miraak did or at the same time and I thought that caused the initial glitch. I was so thankful to finally finish that level...tgm doesn't work as he automatically resigns to the fountain as soon as he is on the point of death..no cheating didn't help at all. In fact I haven't taken another character to that level yet as an hour or so of repeated saving and loading because of some glitch took the fun out of it. I did the first playthrough of that level a couple of days earlier and had no problems at all....same mods and everything

@ sisterof, I have never had the mod mentioned in that thread, and as I had the same mods I had in my earlier walkthrough, I thought it would be strange if they were to blame, no I think it has more to do with killing the dragons, I left them alone after I killed the first one, although it glitched every time he went to the middle pool

Just to be clear: Were you at any point able to get him to absorb the dragon souls?

Thanks, that cheers me right up. :dry:

I giggled at that. Sorry for your pain

Ok, so you say that he goes and kills all Dragons and you get their souls. And I take it you tried toggling godmode and just hitting them until he does all his scripted actions - you're not supposed to hit the Dragons, it's between them.

He's supposed to fight you, retreat and get a soul, fight some more, retreat and get the other soul, again, and then retreat to the centre, where he'll be impaled by Mora once his energy drops enough. You are saying that nothing of this happens, right? And you also tried updating the quest stage by stage? You already read the bugs session of the UESPwiki, right? The last topics talk about the fight never ending. Sorry if I'm just repeating stuff you already tried, but just to make sure. Because the topics of the "bugs" session talk about specifically that - notice that several quest stages that you can advance do not have a journal entry and as such don't appear in that list far in the bottom of the UESPwiki page.

Ok, I just re-read all your posts here. You haven't mentioned using that previous save you said was quite far back - but after 4 hours of pain trying to get around the bug, maybe you could invest the next 4 hours in that tedious playing up to the point you were. :/

Cheers, brother. Your pain is understood.

Edited by sisterof

@ Relativelybest, yes he absorbed the last 2 or 3 souls I think. As I posted, I think I killed the first dragon which I reckon glitched the game as it had already landed under Miraak's control..who absorbed the first soul I am not clear on...I left the dragons alone after that, so he must have or else I wouldn't have got through. He seems to freeze after he kills the dragon and absorbs the souls, just before he is suppose to emerge from the pool