Mod to disable the radios that are located in the levels/environment.

TheWeekendSlice

Hi everyone,

I wanted to stream my playthrough of Fallout 3 on Twitch, but I am concerned about the licensed music playing on stream as it can get my channel completely banned.
I know you can disable the pip-boy radio, but there are still radios located in the environment/levels of the game that still play the licensed music.

Is there any way these radios can be disabled?
Or a way to replace the licensed music? (I haven't yet found a mod that allows me to do this AND works, I found one, but it doesn't work).

I also saw this mod for Fallout 4: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26095?tab=description&BH=0
Basically I am hoping that someone can do this for Fallout 3 as well.

Hello.

There are few ways to do this.

Easy but not very flexible - Download BSA Browser. Run the program and find your main fallout archive with the sound Fallout - Sound.bsa in your Data folder (or open any DLC depending which world you need to edit) . The path for the music you need will be something like this

Data\sound\songs\radio\licensed

Just select all songs in the list end click "extract folders".

The folfer with the songs must be extracted and placed at your Fallout 3 Data directory just like it was in the path of exxtraction - Data\sound\songs\radio\licensed

Now you can replace the mp3 and wav files in the "licensed" folder for your own. This can be another music, white noise, silence etc. The game just will be playing the files you will put there instead of the source music from the "licensed" folder. Just do not forget the names of the files must be the same. The files with the notes "mono" are exact tunes you hear at the REFradio, another files is for playing in the Pipboy.

On other side you can find each REFradio object in the game and put it in the OFF mode with the FO3Edit. But it will take some time.

Hey thanks,
I managed to replace the songs as per your instructions.
A weird thing happened though, when a radio placed in the environment has 3 Dog speaking, if I move away from the radio, he gets quieter and quieter, which is normal as I am no longer standing near the radio.

But when he's done talking and music starts playing, now it's playing the music I replaced the original music with, HOWEVER, it plays it loudly no matter how near or far I am from the radio.
Interesting bug/issue.

Would the same instructions apply for New Vegas? Would you be so kind as to give some indication how to do the same thing but for New Vegas?

Much appreciated and many thanks!

There are three files per each track.

Bitrate and Hzs of the files must be exact as in the originals, I think :confused:.

Two is named "monos" (wav and mp3 - do not shure which one is playing in the receiver) and the regular mp3 for the pip-boy player. You should disable pipboy radio I think.

I've tried by myself and it works propery.

It should be working in FNV as well. The engine is the same.

Hi,

I went in and converted all the music files to match the original music files that came with the game. I obtained the file characteristics (bitrate, etc) from here: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/2972
MP3 quality to CBR, 192kbps, stereo, 44kHz.
mono MP3 files of your renamed tracks. CBR, 96kbps, mono, 44kHz
WAV files of your renamed tracks. 356kbps, 16bit, 22kHz, mono

I still have the same issue, the radio is heard loudly no matter how far or close I am to it. Here's a video showing the issue https://youtu.be/rnv48AqaGEk

I went and re-enconded all the music files to be REALLY quiet in volume and now you can barely hear the music so I am happy with that.

For New Vegas, I went in and replaced all the .mp3 files in Data\Sounds and I also created .ogg files named like the ones in the .bsa and now the envinromental radios also play my music, and I did the same thing I did for Fallout 3 I encoded the files to have a low volume.

I think now the games should be stream safe from a music point of view.

Thank you for your advice and help.

AND I used this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6095?tab=description to replace all the Fallout 4 music with stream safe music. This is on top of the mod that supposedly disables Fallout 4's environmental radios.

Edited by TheWeekendSlice

Yep. It's better to check for conflicts because the action at the receiver is making music play in the pip-boy trigger or something. Just try to enable/disable the same station in pip-boy while the radio receiver is playing in incorrect way. Will it have some effect or not.