Impressions of The Frontier so far?

Chopsticks3

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting to this specific forum, please be sure to let me know if anything is up with this post, perhaps my formatting is wack or I posted in the wrong board

The Frontier just released, but I'm a bit skeptical, I don't have a NV character high enough level to play it, plus I'm playing other games, but what do you think of it? How is the world map? Voice acting? NPC designs? (Bring this one up cause there's a mod floating about that changes a characters face to a more normal face as the original one looks awful) Weapons? Hostile mobs? Vehicles? Writing? How does it run too? Be sure to include specs and relevant mods.

And that's just what I can list, if you can think of something else do share.

​It runs aight 90% of the time on my RX570 with the minimalist ENB. On the whole its an incredible technical achievement. The level of care and detail poured into the world space is incredible, and the designs of many characters are very thoughtful and well put together. Respectfully to whoever had the responsibility, the dialogue writing and the action set pieces, which for New California's made it rather rough around the edges, can make this mod somewhat hard to get through. Scenes from Modern Warfare, MGS re-enacted in their entirety. Really straddles the line between paying omage and aping ideas from other games. And what really bothered me was

seeing dialogue options talking to America for underaged slave play. I get this game series has gone as far as infanticide but that s#*! really did make me uncomfortable. And I've made a mod with some of the most crude, edgy and unfunny jokes on the nexus(Highly Immersifificated Loading Screen Hints). I've also actually talked to young women about being abused though. Its hard for me to find humor in.

The worst I can say otherwise is some kinda odd narrative decisions and design focus for an RPG experience. Don't let that stop you from trying it out though.

I had a lot of stability problems, they might have been caused by me installing it into a heavily modified game so I'm not gonna criticise them for that. It's an impressive achievement both technically and for the sheer scale of it, it's worth taking the time to download and install.

Like lagennagen I had a problem with some of the dialogue, this is an example, two of the three options are replies you'd give if you were roleplaying as a nasty obnoxious child, with all due respect to the writer adults don't talk like that.

I know the developers like to brag about the number of new weapons, but the fact of the matter is a lot of them are functionally redundant. Asset quality is spread pretty wildly too. Bull Shotgun /Police Shotgun comes to mind, with me being of the opinion the latter doesn't need to be in the game. (Sure, the Police Sg a few extra shots over the Bull, but that's something a Weapon Mod could have been for.)

After you get past the novelty and wow factor of the vehicles from a modding perspective, I honestly don't feel like the vehicles serve much purpose and are more trouble than they're worth. Also vehicle combat is atrocious. The "Showcase" where you first get to drive a tank made me never want to use it again, even as transport.

Most of the actual *content* is good, but a lot of the features are just eh.

Also, this might be controversial, but personally I'd have traded some ambition for more consistent performance.

I had a lot of stability problems, they might have been caused by me installing it into a heavily modified game so I'm not gonna criticise them for that. It's an impressive achievement both technically and for the sheer scale of it, it's worth taking the time to download and install.

Like lagennagen I had a problem with some of the dialogue, this is an example, two of the three options are replies you'd give if you were roleplaying as a nasty obnoxious child, with all due respect to the writer adults don't talk like that.

Yikes, that's what I'd expect the [FAILED] Dialogue choice to be.

I really didn't want to be rude, but New Frontier being a mod that was in development for 7 years, this is inexcusable. The dialogue options, like some people already mentioned in this thread, are very poorly though of and give you an illusion of choice because... they pretty much have the same impact, but just worded differently. Not to mention the options I was given were appalling, to say the least.

The whole writing and narrative are sub-par, which made me stop playing it. It's sad, because the voice was actually nice... for the most part.

I've had a lot of stability problems, but that should mostly be because I have over 100 mods installed for this game already. Despite this, my issues stem from the direction the mod has taken. The writing itself is very bad and the quest designs and setpieces are worse. For an army of secessionists, the NCR Exiles have access to resources and technologies that the NCR proper can barely afford. The choices of the characters in this game are questionable. For instance, at the beginning of the game, you are kidnapped and crucified and for the next 30-45 minutes you control someone else in a rescue operation that involves the majority of the fighting force. All that, just to rescue one person.

There are so many setpieces ripped straight out of military shooters. At one point I pondered what the point was in trying this mod out if it didn't feel like a Fallout experience. I felt like I was playing a janky version of Call of Duty.

Whoever wrote/designed this game has some weird issues. There is this race of lizard-people who get high on chems and are always horny. I am not kidding. You can even choose to have sex with the lizard queen. This whole thing is so out of left field and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be funny or the designer making his scalie fantasy come true.

Apparently, you can't play with the Enclave because the mod author hates anyone who plays as them or something, but is totally fine with you playing as a slaver cultist who worships a Roman LARPing group who make genocide, mysoginy and fascism as part of their doctrine. They also delete and block people who try to fairly rip into this mod, like your typical Twitter reactionist.

All in all, I'm loading an older save and I'll continue playing New Vegas Bounties, which I wholeheartedly recommend.

I saw the livestream last night and mess their Discord was in after the incident with a certain team member and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, whatever people think of the mod the devs do not deserve the sheer volume of hate being thrown at them, these entitled basement dwellers are behaving like it's a product they paid for, I can understand people getting angry and cranky when they've paid for a product and the company has a delivered a poor one, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk etc but to do it with something they were given for free is idiotic. Criticism can help people improve, abuse serves no purpose other than to hurt people and show the abusers up for the mentally subnormal individuals they are.

I saw the livestream last night and mess their Discord was in after the incident with a certain team member and I couldn't believe what I was seeing, whatever people think of the mod the devs do not deserve the sheer volume of hate being thrown at them, these entitled basement dwellers are behaving like it's a product they paid for, I can understand people getting angry and cranky when they've paid for a product and the company has a delivered a poor one, Fallout 76, Cyberpunk etc but to do it with something they were given for free is idiotic. Criticism can help people improve, abuse serves no purpose other than to hurt people and show the abusers up for the mentally subnormal individuals they are.

100% agree with this, you couldn t have said it better. Even if the mod was s#*! from start to finish (and it isn t in the slightest), they would deserve nothing but praise.

I don t know if people even grasp at the idea of working for something as long as 7 years just with your passion as motivation with a team that probably was more often then not less than double digits number.

I can understand maybe the mod didn t live up to your expectactions but was there any reason to not just move on and let it be?

Whether it's a free product or not has nothing to do with it. The abuse hurled toward Tgspy and the others is pathetic; The abusers are Emotional Parasites with no personality of their own, so they have to harass others just to feel something.

The fact part of their abuse seems to be attached to an Enclave fixation speaks volumes.

I know it's pointless to even acknowledge their existence because anything I/Anyone could say (including with this statement) just tells their poisoned brain "i'M wInNInG!", but they can all eat s*** and die. I have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior.

I do not know what questionable content Zutheskunk put in the mod, (all I know is they were an Icon artist) and I don't know what was the content on their personal pages. I don't doubt it's gross (particularly the latter).

What I will say to Tgspy, a lot of the "questionable material" that was in the mod was indeed, *very questionable*. They as a Project Lead should have known better then to put that in. Maybe Tgspy was "unaware" of the content existing, or too naive to see why it *should not be in the game*, but that is in of itself a failing in their role as a "Project Lead." (I'll point out this naivety is hardly unique; the original Half-Life was going to have an enemy that raped the player, with Gabe Newell being totally onboard, which was only cut due to graphical limitations with a blur effect.)