Importing -Exporting Custom Animation Files

iceburg

I'm working on importing custom animations. I've used hkxcmd to turn a .hkx file into a .kf and back again without trouble. However, importing and then immediately exporting (without making any changes) the .kf files into blender result in the animation not working in game (after I've re converted it to .hkx). The actor doesn't play the animation at all. Importing and exporting in 3ds max, the majority of the animation works in game, although rogue bones don't (the right arm was stiff in one, and the head was inside the body in another).

I've been following the Working with Animations tutorial.

Can anyone give me some good import-export animation tips / explain why I'm getting these finicky results?
Thanks!

ps. I'm a blender native and am not great with 3ds max, but if you can give me steps with 3ds max, I'm sure to figure it out. Thanks again!

Edited by iceburg

I'm working on importing custom animations. I've used hkxcmd to turn a .hkx file into a .nif and back again without trouble. However, importing and then immediately exporting (without making any changes) the nif files into blender result in the animation not working in game (after I've re converted it to .hkx). The actor doesn't play the animation at all. Importing and exporting in 3ds max, the majority of the animation works in game, although rogue bones don't (the right arm was stiff in one, and the head was inside the body in another).

I've been following the Working with Animations tutorial.

Can anyone give me some good import-export animation tips / explain why I'm getting these finicky results?

Thanks!

ps. I'm a blender native and am not great with 3ds max, but if you can give me steps with 3ds max, I'm sure to figure it out. Thanks again!

you mean turn it into .kf ? what blender and nif script version ? not playing the animation or gave you T-Pose ?

After exported it make sure you compare with the original .kf before convert it into .hkx, especially the NiTransformData section. I believe it because blender nif script doesnt really support animation for skyrim.

Or maybe you can tried the Animation Tools N1 from Anton0028. since Anton0028 creating his own script for animation with blender 2.62+, unfortunately i'm still pretty stuck with B 2.49b.

ebony_ivory: Thanks for responding!
Let me see if I can give some more / better info. If anything is unclear I'd be happy to further explain. :)

Yeah, I typod. I've been using hkxcmd to turn the .hkx files into .kf files, then importing them into blender 2.49 using Nif Scripts 2.5.8 pyFFI 2.1.9. For Autodesk, I'm importing the kf files, though I don't remember what I downloaded to make that work.
Anyhow, both programs successfully import the skeleton and animation so that the animation plays well in Blender / 3ds max. (In the past I've successfully followed this armor tutorial).
After importing and re-exporting, Blender's KF works fine on a skeleton in Nifskope, while Autodesk's KF doesn't move the skeleton in Nifskope at all. When I try to re-import Autodesk's exported KF, it tells me it's an improper file format. When I convert the animations back to hkx files and properly name / place them and run the game, blender's export the character just is frozen at the default t-pose (I removed all other anims to be sure if the one was working or not) and the autodesk anim runs/most bones play correctly, but hands, feet, and the right arm don't work, or the head is inside the body. This is strange as it should either work or not work, yet the autodesk export works on some bones while not others, even though it plays perfectly inside autodesk.
Also, to get the blender kf to work on the skeleton in nifskope, I edit the NIHeader to have a user version of 12 and a user version 2 of 83, as well change the NIConas trollerSequence Target Name to NPC Root [Root].

In the meantime, I'll look around at the NITransformData and experiment with Anton0028's tool.
Thanks,
Ice