Thinking about making a mod that moves the "Railroad HQ" to a differnt location after they have been "found" by the BoS. Any location

YouDoNotKnowMyName

Good morning everybody!

So, as you know if you side with the Railroad, there will come a point where the Brotherhood finds out where the Railroad HQ is and they will attempt to destroy the Railroad and the player has to help the RR defend their base.

Since the RR is very much focused on OpSec, I always felt very irritated by the fact that they didn't "relocate" after that incident.

Yes, the take out the Prydwen right after it, but not EVERYBODY that could know about the location of their HQ would be killed by that ...

So, I thought I'd make a mod that adds a new "HQ" for the RR. The place will be used after the "BoS - raid".

All the NPCs from HQ will be moved to the new HQ after that quest.

I am pretty sure I can do the scripting / quest stuff required to make such a mod, but I am "stuck" with a very simple question:

Where should the new RR HQ be?

I was thinking about Vault 114, the vault where you resuce Nick, because it is "unused" and "cleared" after doing that quest. No "random quests" use that location.

And it is in a pretty central location (downtown) and underground and it is HUGE!

And since nobody ever goes near the boston common (Park Street Station, the "entrance" to Vault 114 is there), it would be a good place for a secret base, since "normal people" avoid that place ...

So, what do you think of my "location choice"?

Have any other ideas?

Let me know here ...

Ooo, I do like the idea of using a cleared location like this.

My only qualm is that - if you're playing survival without fast travel, it'll be super inconvenient to walk all the way through there to find the NPCs.

The first location that comes to my mind is where you find Slim.

Slim is a named merchant located south of Goodneighbor a ways. Go to the Combat Zone, take a left, then turn right and go straight past the gunners. Can't miss him.

He's apparently in the Railroad. It seems likely that he was planned to have some sort of quest with them, but the content must have been cut.

If you look around his little clearing, you'll find 3 railroad signals.

Also, across the street is a named NPC with two named dogs which are immediately hostile. Dando, and his dogs Shug and... Ruby?

There's no talking to this guy. But if you kill him while Deacon is your companion, you instantly become enemies with the Railroad and Deacon will try to kill you.

So, perhaps Dando was also planned to have some kind of involvement with the Railroad.

Also, kinda hilariously, if you load the cell where Dando is found at a high level, his dogs will be Glowing, and this makes Dando hostile toward them (for dealing rad damage to him) and usually his dogs kill him.

I like to imagine Dando was supposed to use his dogs to sniff out a Synth or something.

I think it would be nice if they moved the HQ there.

Edited by LucidLady

You could also create a sewer cell. Sewers are quite easy to make and minimal-invasive since you only need to place a small entrance on a street somewhere.

But as for Vanilla locations the Big Dig's tunnel system is nice. Of course you'd need to complete this quest first

Solid idea. As the original entrance is associated with the Old North Church, you could stay consistent with that theme and choose another Church for hidden entrance to the new Railroad Headquarters. The Holy Mission Congregation and Concord Church could be candidates as they don’t seem to have quests associated with them. I suppose you could duplicate the Vault 114 interior cell and have a teleport door take you after you discover the hidden access point inside the Church. Instead of using a Vault designation you might use a name The Liberator which aligns with the Railroad's mission.

I mean, considering that you have to kill the BOS if you side with the Railroad, you could always make the police station their new HQ lol

But wait, there IS a church near the police station. You can fine father Gabe there - a hostile ghoul preacher, fighting a couple feral ghouls.

He cries for help, but is hostile to you no matter what you do. It's rare for a nonferal ghoul to be fighting feral ghouls. And he's one of only 3 male ghouls in the game that has hair.

In all my thousands of hours playing, I only just discovered this location a week or so ago. The Union's Hope Cathedral.

• 2 months later...

Oh, the obvious choice to me seems like the secret government installation in the glowing sea. Deacon even mentions it when you walk in there with him. I've been *dying* for a mod that relocates the railroad there. It makes so much sense! There's so much space and tech and it's so well hidden.

Oh, the obvious choice to me seems like the secret government installation in the glowing sea. Deacon even mentions it when you walk in there with him. I've been *dying* for a mod that relocates the railroad there. It makes so much sense! There's so much space and tech and it's so well hidden.

Ooooowwww!

That is a PERFECT idea!

Because guess what location a certain scientist uses to hide from the institute? Yes, the glowing sea!

It is the PERFECT place to hide!

It is big, it is dangerous, the radiation would probably interfere with the teleportation stuff of the institute, .....

There is already a secret pre-war base there, so I might use that interior cell for this!

(Now I am all excited about this project again, thank you!)

Idk, yes it's well hidden

1. But you have to walk a thousand dangerous kilometres to this location and hardly any resources can be brought there.

This also means getting information from people in DC and GN will be hard

2. There are deathclaws, radscorpions (and radiation storms) at your front door, which might be worse than having a courser around

3. Your drinking water is polluted and food is scarce.

Idk, yes it's well hidden

1. But you have to walk a thousand dangerous kilometres to this location and hardly any resources can be brought there.

This also means getting information from people in DC and GN will be hard

2. There are deathclaws, radscorpions (and radiation storms) at your front door, which might be worse than having a courser around

3. Your drinking water is polluted and food is scarce.

Yes, the things that make the GlowingSea the perfect hiding spot also make it the worst place to be ...

I was thinking about Vault 114, the vault where you resuce Nick, because it is "unused" and "cleared" after doing that quest. No "random quests" use that location.

And it is in a pretty central location (downtown) and underground and it is HUGE!

And since nobody ever goes near the boston common (Park Street Station, the "entrance" to Vault 114 is there), it would be a good place for a secret base, since "normal people" avoid that place ...

Purely from an ingame logic stance here:

Problem with Vault 114 is that there's only one entrance/exit from inside the vault.

Railroad likes having escape exits they can easily get to, I doubt they'd use somewhere that doesn't have access to such an escape. Needing to file out the vault door to reach the station exits or the maintainence exit you use leaves them open to getting caught.

Sealing themselves in for protection doesn't help either. Someone caves in the area outside the door everyone dies sealed inside. Plus people go looking for vaults to loot them, or take them over themselves (Raiders and Gunners for example) they're too well known.

Same with using somewhere like the Covenant bunker should you clear that one out. Despite the irony of use that place, it still suffers from the "one exit" problem.

Same for USAF Satellite Station Olivia I think, although that one is very isolated by comparison to most places it might be an exception since you could see any possible threats approaching from a considerable distance.