Has anybody ever looked at Vault 114 in the CK and "lined up" the two cells? It's a mess ...

Good morning everybody!

So, you know how Vault 114 consists of two cells, the first one that has the "Park Street Subway Station" and the entrance of the vault in it, and the second cell that has the actual vault in it.

And there are two doors between those cells: The one where you go in and the one where you come out into the "entry area" where Skinny and Darla will be waiting after rescuing Nick ...

Because I planned on adding some sections to V114, I copied the contents of both cells and alligned them so that one set of doors "lined up", to see if there was any "space" left ...

And it is a mess!

The atrium of the vault clipps throught the floor of the "entry room" (the room with the gear-door) and the second door (the one through which you enter V114) doesn't even line up at all!

THIS is exactly the kind of stuff that I HATE!

(And buildings that are bigger on the inside then the exterior would suggest or when the count and position of interior and exteriror windows doesn't match!)

Things like this break immersion in such a big way for me ...

You know how I would have done this?

Create a "layout cell" first. In that cell, create the "architecture", then decide "OK, here is the point where we will split it up in 2 cells" and then copy & paste the two "sections" into their own cells.

That way you avoid having issues like this ...

The reason why I was messing around in Vault 114 was that I was planning on converting it into a secret railroad HQ to which the railroad would move after their "old north church HQ" gets raided by the BoS (see this post).

I was initially planning on just duplicating the "park street station" and the "vault 114" cell, connecting them, removing all the quest stuff from them and making them into a secret railroad HQ, but oh well, seems like I have to rework the architecture of Vault 114 to make sense before I can do that ...

Personally I would take the Park Street Cell (with the vault entrance) and expand off it instead of trying to combine things. It would be a lot of extra work but in the end it would be worth it. I would try and keep the layout of the vault as true as possible but would definitely modify things a bit, since I think Bethesda did/does a really poor job in creating vaults. This goes especially when they make vault reactor rooms like the ones found in both Vault 75 and Vault 95; they look like they are caves instead of a highly sophisticated vault reactor rooms.. I actually rebuilt Vault 111 and turned it into a settlement. I added an extra wing in the vault with more living quarters and a security station, expanded the kitchen area to include a walk in freezer plus a food storage area. In addition to, I added a water and air filtration room and also a incineration room (for garbage disposal). I have also started a Vault 75 rebuild as well but got side tracked on creating a bunker/vault player home/settlement mod. It was worth the extra work creating the new additions.

I agree that it would have been nice to have outer buildings match the size of their associated interiors but imagine how big the actual game world would have to be to accommodate this change? Downtown Boston alone would take up the entire Fallout 4 game area.

Just some 'half awake' thoughts.

Personally I would take the Park Street Cell (with the vault entrance) and expand off it instead of trying to combine things. It would be a lot of extra work but in the end it would be worth it. I would try and keep the layout of the vault as true as possible but would definitely modify things a bit, since I think Bethesda did/does a really poor job in creating vaults. This goes especially when they make vault reactor rooms like the ones found in both Vault 75 and Vault 95; they look like they are caves instead of a highly sophisticated vault reactor rooms.. I actually rebuilt Vault 111 and turned it into a settlement. I added an extra wing in the vault with more living quarters and a security station, expanded the kitchen area to include a walk in freezer plus a food storage area. In addition to, I added a water and air filtration room and also a incineration room (for garbage disposal). I have also started a Vault 75 rebuild as well but got side tracked on creating a bunker/vault player home/settlement mod. It was worth the extra work creating the new additions.

I agree that it would have been nice to have outer buildings match the size of their associated interiors but imagine how big the actual game world would have to be to accommodate this change? Downtown Boston alone would take up the entire Fallout 4 game area.

Just some 'half awake' thoughts.

I just noticed that vault 114 doesn't even have a reactor room ...

(But there is that big excavation "work it progress" section, so it might would have gone there ...)

Done get me wrong, I do intend on keeping it "two cells", I was just putting both together to get a feel on where I could add a room or two without other stuff getting in the way (like the subway tunnels or the "entrance area" of the vault).

What I mean by the "interior exterior thing" is that the few buildings that do have interiors should have interiors that match the buildings exterior.

So for example if the exterior is about 10 by 20 meters, then the interior should be the same (minus wall thinkness and things like that) and not 20 by 30 meters ...

I didn't mean that EVERY building should have an interior or that the FO4 map should be 1:1 "real life accurate" ...

Anyway, sorry for the rant ..