Camp Mccarran Lighting Bug

hijacktheking

Hi, I have currently noticed an issue regarding certain lights in my New Vegas game, the most egregious of which is in Camp Mccaran's concourse area. Figuring that it was the cause of a mod, I tried loading the area with in vanilla with no mods - unfortunately the problem still persisted. I have my Graphics settings to Ultra, and I don't remember encountering this problem any other time I've installed Fallout New Vegas.

6X2J8ne.png

Edited by hijacktheking

Are you using ENB or SweetFX or some other "post processor"? If so, please see the 'Solutions to Post-Processor (ENB/SweetFX et. al.) problems' section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

Otherwise that looks like perhaps you are hitting the memory limits of your graphics card. As a simple test, try reducing the graphics "quality" setting down one from "Ultra". If that does improve things, consider going with that setting or reviewing the "resolution" of textures in mods you are implementing. "Texture packs" don't usually show up in the "load order". (They are replacing vanilla assets; thus they overwrite existing files.) And the issue with them is what size/resolution of the images you are using. Larger/"hi-rez" textures require more pixels, and larger screen display monitors multiply that requirement in a non-linear way. While your hardware may technically be able to handle it, the game was published in late 2010, designed for Windows Vista with maximum screen displays of 1920x1080, with default image sizes of 512x512 pixels. The game engine texture cache tends to be the bottleneck: "leaking memory" and causing "stutter". Please see the wiki "Display resolution versus Image Size" article.

-Dubious-

Then it is most likely a mod conflict. Back to basics.

Please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as the version of Windows, if you are using a "Steam" or "GOG" and/or "regional language version" of the game (even if you are playing it in English); using the FNV4GB Patch, NVSE and it's related plugins; replacements for textures (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), animations, or "bodies", etc.; and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX. It saves us playing "20 questions" and gets you a more specific answer more quickly. (The usual turn-around on post and reply in an older game forum is 24 hours.) Screenshots of the "load order" don't usually work so well because they tend to cut off or fail to display needed information and are hard to "piece together" into a complete and coherent picture.

* See "How to markup images (etc) in forum posts and comments" article for how to use "Spoiler tags", etc. "LOOT" already includes those tags in the "load order" it copies to your clipboard, so you can just paste it's list into your post.

-Dubious-

Hello, here is the list you folks asked for!

• CPU - AMD A8-7100 RADEON R5, 8 Computer Cores 4C + 4G
  • CPU Speed - 1.80GHz
  • Graphics card or integrated video chip? - Integrated Video Chip
  • Amount of dedicated Video RAM - 1024MB
  • Native screen resolution of the display monitor? - 1366x768
  • Amount of System RAM (total)? 12.0GB (10.9GB Usable)
  • Hard drive free space?
  • Is it a laptop? If so, was it designed with high demand game/graphics video requirements in mind? - Yes to both questions, though, the device itself is fairly old.
  • Which version of Windows are you running - Windows 10 Home Single Language (Version 1909) (64-Bit)
  • The source of the original game files - This is a DRM-less GOG copy bought around 2017. The game already had the latest patch 1.4.0.525 when I installed it.

• Where is the game located (Folder Path, from the drive designation down)? - C:\Games\Fallout New Vegas.

• Game version, to include patch level? - PC, patch 1.4.0.525.

• Any official DLCs ("Down Loadable Content")? - The game has all available downloadable content installed: Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Gun Runners' Arsenal, and Courier's Stash

• Are you using NMM ("Nexus Mod Manager"), "Vortex" (the replacement for NMM) or any other mod manager? - I am not using any mod managers.

• Are you using a game "construction kit" like TESCS, SKSE, or GECK? - I have not used GECK, or NVSE.

• Any other helper programs: BOSS? LOOT? Tes5Edit? Wrye Bash? Script Extenders? Anything else? - I have not installed NVSE or Loot.
  • Are you using any general gameplay "enhancements" such as the ENB or SweetFX "post-processors", multi-player overlays like those from OverWolf or Steam, etc.? - I have no graphic overlay enhancements installed.
  • Did the Game work and then stop, or has it never worked? - The game runs well, with the only major issue being that lighting in the Camp Mccarran Concourse room.
  • Do you have "Hide known file extensions" enabled in "Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options"? - I have that setting disabled.
  • Are you trying to run the game faster than 60 FPS ("Frames Per Second")? - I have not edited the game to go faster than 60FPS
  • Do you have any mods installed? - Yes, I'm running Fallout New Vegas with the latest version of the old Jsawyer Mod (http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/09/jsawyeresp-v51.html).

yE1kEsS.png
Edited by hijacktheking

Are you using the FNV 4GB Patcher (even with the GOG version)? (It's basically required these days, and your problem is also a symptom for running out of memory.) For FNV Steam users (and now for GOG users as well with v1.4 or later) the tool easily solves the problem of the 2GB memory limit and loading NVSE for both the game and '''GECK'''. (Older versions of the tool are deprecated. The latest version (v1.4+) now supports the GOG version for auto loading NVSE, and the "NVSE_CONFIG.INI" file does not work for the GOG version without RoyBatty's patch. Revert to the backup copy created if you did run an older version.) Run the patcher once (as "Local Administrator" if necessary) and thereafter just use the default game FalloutNV.EXE (preferred) or FalloutNVLauncher.EXE (re-writes your INI files) as a normal user. The patched game automatically detects and launches NVSE.

How can you tell if the 4GB Patch is working?
: Look for the "Data\NVSE\NVSE_CONFIG.INI" file which for GOG users will otherwise will not get created without the "nvse_steam_loader". Check the "nvse_steam_loader.log" file (in the game root folder with the FalloutNV.EXE file) for errors.
: The [http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58277 JIP LN NVSE Plugin] has a function which can be run from the console: "GetIsLAA" (not case sensitive).
: Possible return codes:
:* 0=patch is not applied
:* 1=patch was applied to the executable, but extra memory is not being allocated
:* 2=successfully allocated extra memory from the patch and is fully working.
: If "GetIsLAA" is returning code "1", try running the game from a "Local Administrator" account. If that is successfull, you need to move the game install location out of the "C:\Program Files" folder tree, or correct the "permissions" on it's folder if you have moved it, as you are going to have other problems down the road. Please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for details.
: Alternatively: if the Windows "Task Manager" indicates the "FalloutNV.exe" program has more than 2GB (2,000,000KB) of "Memory (Private Working Set)", then the 4GB Patcher is in effect. However, to the contrary: less does not mean it is not working. The game simply hasn't needed that much memory as yet.

Please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; as well as the 'Towards Game Stability' and the 'Common Game Problems' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

The "Towards Game Stability" section in particular should be considered "required" as those file fix many base game bugs.

LOOT will "sort" your files in the correct order, while simply enabling them in the game "Data Files" section does not.

Seriously consider choosing and learning how to use a mod manager if you intend to add other mods later on. It will make your life easier. See the 'Mod Managers' section in that same web article.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last set it up. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned" by a retired Technical Support expert. It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine; only "the essentials". It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article. Once you can play a test game to at least Primm, only then should you try adding other mods from some other "guide".

BTW: That CPU clock speed is considered "slow" for this game. (3GHz recommended.) And integrated video chips can often have "stuttering" and "lag" issues. ENBoost will help (a separate, independent component of the ENB "post processor" toolkit. Discussed in that same wiki article). Avoid "script heavy" mods that add lots of NPCs/Creatures, and avoid using "high rez" graphics mods. Hardware issues are not going to be overcome by software solutions.

-Dubious-