Skyrim ruined dragons IMO

hmill13

I remember when I was younger that the thought of combating a dragon or ever even seeing or even hear of one was something meant to be amazing. Something rare and exciting. Something that you needed to go out of your way to actually have happen or if it comes to you itd only be a very powerful dragon like in skyrims case only Alduin would be something like that. Personally i think they made dragon encounters way too common.

Now im not ranting on saying oh i hate dragons there too tough because they really arent. They are quite easy and is why i have installed Deadly Dragons. My point im making is regardless of how tough the dragons are is that they are no longer a rare mystical beast that one needed to explore deep into the depths of a dungeon to find anymore. There just some flying monster that crops up from time to time.

When i heard Skyrim was going to have dragons i was like yes great thatd be great. I fought the first dragon i was happy with it. But after a while they just became like i said way to common.

Personally i dont know how a mod could possibly fix this issue for me other than making only a very small number of dragons like maybe 2 or 3 outside and the rest are deep underground inside dungeons with new quests to hunt them down. When i heared that there was going to be dragons this is how i played it out in my head that you would hear rumors of dragons in near by caves and you would go and investigate to find yourself delving deep into the unknown to find this rare beast.

Whats everyone elses opinions on this?

There are lots of stories of dragons living in caves. I actually thought the same thing when I first heard about it. Maybe that is some way to mod how frequently dragons appear. That way, each person could set it however they want. If someone, for whatever reason, wants more dragons they can change it or you can lessen the chance of one spawning. Or decreasing the possible spawn points. (I'm still playing with the creation kit so I'm not sure if this is possible. It's just a few ideas.)

There are a lot of dragons because of the way unlocking Shouts works. And that works the way it does because of the enchanting mechanic in the Elder Scrolls series. You fill soul gems to charge your weapons to fill your soul gems, etc. In this case, the soul gem is yourself, and your weapon is your voice. It wouldn't be very fun if you only had a few shouts or you could only learn a few of the shouts.

I get the classic "Dragons hiding in plunder" thing, but that ain't how this universe rolls. Hoarding treasure just wasn't in the Elder Scrolls mythos for dragons. They're kind of their own thing, which TES has done decently in making semi-original concepts out of traditional ones. I admit, if I found a dragon randomly deep in a cave it'd be neat, but I don't know why an ancient vengeful lizard wiith wings and fire breath would hide down there. I'd flip it around, 2-3 in a cave, rest outside.

Its not that its there own idea i dont mind that its just they made it so common that dragons are no more special than bandit raids. It'd just be interesting if there were actual quests that involved a particular dragon. It just made them no longer the mystical beast they are meant to be. The least they could of done is at least make them be intelligent and have quests revolving around them. Not only would it be more interesting in getting your shouts you would feel like your achieving something paramount to as rare as a dragon hunt should be. Not just the generic a dragon see's you and acts like its so dumb it just attacks you like a typical wolf or road bandit only larger. And just on a side note dragons in D&D would often hide deep under ground for many reasons. Most common is because they have a natural affinity to hoarding treasure. Other more interresting reasons were they usually had hoards of minions under there control that they would command from underground while they make world conquering plans.

Maybe I will take a look around in the CK and see what I can come up with and see how long and complex it would be.

Edited by hmill13

No more special than a bandit raid? So that's why at the start of the game, everyone is flabbergasted to see the dragons have returned, hmm? No quests revolving around them? Did you actually play the game?

I do agree that dragons should be a bit harder to kill though, and maybe the event of them attacking you in the wild could be a bit rarer, too. Would be nice if it was set up so that if you wanted to go hunt dragons and find word walls, you could, but you'd still be attacked by dragons every once in a while.

Meh, doesn't bother me that much anyway 'cause there's only about 3 toons of about 40 that I've made that I've actually bothered starting the main quest on ;D

I thinik we need to remember that TES setting is quite distinct from D&D and other fantasy settings with its own lore, history, and creatures. I am an old school D&D player and I used to view many games, stories, and movies through a D&D lens. I have found this approach to be a mistake that has harmed my appreciation for non-D&D worlds and stories until I remembered to always treat each one as its own unique setting. Granted others settings have very similar dragons to D&D, but TES has always tried to be its own distinct setting with similarities to others only being it is a fantasy world with non-humans and magic.

The Dov, dragons of the TES world are not all the treasure hungry lizards of Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, or Middle Earth settings. First off, TES dragons do not have seven limbs (a tail, two wings, plus a set arms/legs and hind legs). They have two rear legs like a raptor, two arms/wings to fly, and a tail. They do not appear to use tools like some D&D dragons, so their need to acquire treasure is probably not the same. The Dov are instinctive rullers and dominators, according to the information one them shares. They would not need money to get things done, since you had bettter submit to their will or else. I could picture a TES dragon that wanted something to simply take it or demand it from the lesser mortals all around them. You can envison one landing in a small village and demanding a some cattle, a nice scale polishing, and some serious ass-kissing otherwise the village gets broken.

The Dov are also described as most at home in the high places or the sky, so living deep underground would go against this given trait. They are immortal and probably do not need to eat, drink, or require shelter unless they desire it. If one was into treasure, it would more likely be an individual preferance rather than a common racial trait. Another point to consider is that dragons have been gone for thousands of years until the events of Skyrim, so most of the dragons have not been active long enough to have established any kind of major lairs if they even do that sort of thing on Tamriel. Dragons do not appear to share their habits or desires with the lesser mortal races, so very little is actually known about their motivations. As to the high incidence of dragon encounters in Skyrim, remember that there is a big reason given in the game as why they are showing up (I do not want to post spoilers).

Personally, I like having dragons with different motivations than the classics (D&D, Tolkieen, Dragonlance, etc). I kind of wish the creators of Skyrim had enough time to create a good number of them with distinct personalities and motivations but it's a really big game already.

If you would like to have tougher dragons, try the Deadly Dragons mod (mentioned by the OP) which allows you to tweak how tough they are in your game. It also makes the dragons more diverse, adding new elemental attacks and magic to their repetoires. There is an armor and weapons mod that goes along with Deadly Dragons, which will add some unique treasures and components to the dragons. These mods have greatly added to my personal enjoyment of the dragons in Skyrim. I also felt they were underpowered until I discovered these mods.

Just my $0.02,

Mike

(1) After you kill the first dragon, if you don't run off immediately there is an informative conversation that takes place between the guards. They can't believe they've seen a dragon and one even remarks that dragons are coming back for the first time since "forever". Additionally, all of the dragons are dormant in dragon mounds and when Alduin returns you can see him going to each mound and resurrecting them - hence the mission with Delphine in Kynesgrove where you see Alduin telling the dragon to wake up.

(2) If you want fewer dragons and more intense battles, I recommend Deadly Dragons and Dragon Combat Overhaul. Those two together will make dragon fights much more interesting. Deadly Dragons comes with a customizable timer, difficulty scale and attack types. Dragon Combat Overhaul changes the behavior of dragons to be more tactical in their attack patterns.