Skyrim ruined dragons IMO

hmill13

Skyrim can't ruin dragons for me because there are no dragons in it. Killed a lot of large wyverns though:P

Calling TES dragons wyverns is probalby due to the influence of another game or genera's depiction of dragons. TES has always shown its dragons to have two legs (rear) and two arms/wings for flight. Just because another game or series of books depict their dragons as having front limbs, rear limbs, and wings does not make them more legitimate dragons. For comparison, the dragons in some Asian legends can fly without wings and are more serpentine than their western counterparts. They are just as legitimately dragons, just a different type. Wyverns in some legends are indeed dragons, just another type that are ususally noted for having a poisoned tail. The wyrms in some legends have very stubby legs, a serpentine body, and no wings yet they are also classified as dragons. It all depends upon who is writing the story as to what defines a mythical creature. Dragons do not have to conform to D&D, Palladium, Dragon Age, Tolkieen, Morte D'Arthur, or any particular story or games' standards to be legit for the TES settings. For the record, I personally prefer dragons that have front and back limbs in addition to their wings, but I do not dislike the TES style of dragons as they are what has been shown for this game setting throughout the the years.

Just my $0.02 and best regards,

Mike

I'm basing it primarily on medieval European heraldry, in which Dragons were 4 legged and Wyverns were 2 legged. This, I believe (but don't quote me, as these sorts of things can come off differently from source to sources) stems from Breton (and by extension, somewhat antagonistically, Norse and Germanic) folklore which defined them as such.

At any rate, what you're saying was, in a roundabout way, my point. A dragon from Krynn, for instance, isn't necessarily the same thing in my mind as a Dragon from Tamriel, or any other world. Whatever you call them, they're a creature specific to Tamriel.

Truthfully, Tamriel's dragons seem to be a mix between the two, if judging by Brythonic folklore (as opposed to the D&D interpretation). They might breath fire (point for dragon), but might breath something else (point for Wyvern). They are quite large (Dragon), but lack forelegs (Wyvern). They can speak human tongues (Dragon), but viscous and primarily evil (Wyvern).

Edited by adembroski