One of the mountains at the horizon is flickering

audiocd

Hello.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem? One of the mountains on the horizon has a lod conflict I think.

What kind of mesh is using for this model? I can't figure out. I want to check is there correct seams and proper polygon connection in that model.

The weird thing is that mountain begins to twitch only if you're looking directly on it.

Edited by audiocd

Thanks. But there are no any enhancers or mods. You can try to check this mountain at the clean vanilla as well.

The issue can be viewed from the bridge placed below the Super-Duper Mart.

The issue is connected somehow with the fNearDistance.

With =3 it has much noticeable flickering. With the =15 effect is minimal but still there.

Looks like there are few polygons or planes with small distance between them. Z-fighting is occurred. Mesh need to be corrected but what's the mesh is used for this part of the landscape?

Edited by audiocd

Problem block was detected at the start corner of the world map (top-left) as I expected. The file is wasteland.level32.x-64.y32.nif

Unfortunately I was unable to resave nif-file with corrected mesh because NIF plugin for 3ds-max does not import/export NiAddtionalGeomertyData field which is the child part of NiTriShapeData. On other hand the mesh can't be replaced in source file because NiAddtionalGeomertyData can't be readded after that in proper branch, it always moves in the root.

Temporary solution is to completely replace NiTriShapeData field of original file by the wasteland.level32.x-64.y0.nif from the same folder.

Flicker issue was gone. But due the difference of the lod sectors (because new block is not the same lod sector as source file) there can be slightly noticeable changement when you will be approaching close to that zone. But this happens very fast and can be noticed only if you're watching directly at that zone from upper point.

Edited by audiocd

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't find any of those files. Could you explain your fix further if you have the time. This specific issue is really bugging me.

Hello! Just write me PM if you still interested and I will send you the file of the fix.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1. Start Bsa Browser software.

2. File -> Open Archive -> Open "fallout - meshes.bsa" (in your Fallout3/Data folder)

3. Find the "Meshes\landscape\lod\wasteland.level32.x-64.y32.nif

This is the problem lod-file. You can extract the file if you want to find a proper fix for it. Untill now I did not succeed, Nif-scope sotware cannot re-save some parameters. So we will do a little trick.

1. Find the "Meshes\landscape\lod\wasteland.level32.x-64.y0.nif.

2. Extract this file.

3. Rename it to wasteland.level32.x-64.y32.nif

4. Create the folder in your Fallout3 directory Data\meshes\Landscape\LOD\wasteland (some folders may be already there)

5. Put the renamed file wasteland.level32.x-64.y32.nif inside of the wasteland folder.

Of course you must use the "ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated" as for any other mods.