Skyrim Evolution Mod

Agonhath

Skyrim Combat Evolution Mod idea.

NOTE: This list is not finished (yet) I need to gather more ideas and get things prioritized, I am posting this list for CRITIQUES and SUGGESTIONS. If you have a well thought out, constructive criticism or a very good suggestion please let me know.

Please pay thorough attention to what is written below to avoid unneeded criticism and/or redundant requests to keep this topic as neat as possible.

Criticism I don't want to see: "This won't work because Skyrim wasn't supposed to work like that" or things like "This will ruin the game!" These are both irrelevant. This is a preliminary list of a hypothetical modification to a game. It doesn't exist yet. Please bear with me as I make improvements and cuts.

Thanks for reading, now on to the good stuff. vv

_________________________________________________________________________________

MECHANICS AND SKILLS

Acrobatics skill tree:

Have a skill tree dedicated to acrobatics and parkour, with perks to unlock new movement abilities (Faster sprinting, reduce fall damage, increase jump height, ledge grabbing(?), wall run(?), dodge maneuvers (rolls, flips) and such)

Combos instead of damage increase perks:

Instead of having perks that increase damage % for weapons, have perks that increase the number of hits you can perform in a combo ( E.G. you start off with the regular 2 swings, and can add 5 more through the perk)

Weapon combat styles:

Have three styles for melee weapons (Fast, Medium, and Strong)

Fast style will be best used in conjunction with the combo increase, it will deal the least damage and have a decent block, but have a fast swing time. This could be best used with dual wielding melee weapons or, 1 weapon x 1 spell.

Medium style would have a slightly slower speed but have better damage and the best block out of the three, it is a balanced style that can be used in a number of situations.

Strong style would be used for a high output of damage, but it would have the worst block and lowest speed, therefore making it good for use by high HP heavy armor users.

Note that these styles are applicable to all weapons, so that if you wanted a character who used 2 handed weapons but was a fast-style, this could be feasable. Styles could also be switched mid-combat with the press of a button to maximize combo versatility. (E.G. Have a sword equipped while fighting enemies with the fast style, but after wearing down their health, switch to strong style and finish them off in a hurry.)

ANIMATION AND CONTROL

Better 3rd person mode:

360 degree run:

Having the character run in whatever direction is pressed. For example when the back key is pressed, the character will run backwards instead of backpedaling or strafing (a la Legend of Zelda style movement and camera for 3rd person)

Lock on:

Locking onto enemies will make 3rd person less random and frustrating, also, movement will be altered when locked on, with backwards being revertad to backpedaling and strafing around locked on enemies.

The acrobatics skills are a neat idea. I'm not sure how the new moves would work, but I'm constantly frustrated by the lack of ability to climb, etc. This could also create a better unarmed combat skillset too (think boxer, martial artist, etc). I suppose it could even go towards an Assassin's Creed style of gameplay.

The problem with mods that add new skills is that the skills themselves are hardcoded into the engine. Mods that "add" new skills do not. They change existing skills, perhaps reassigning their perks to another skill. This is because you cannot ADD or REMOVE any skills.

There are 18 skills, and there is no way to get around it. Yes, your idea is cool, but what skill would you want to give up for this?

Edited by frakle

If you're deciding which skill sets to replace, the easiest way to decide which to remove is simple: Those that clash with what the mod does. Pick the skill trees that just don't match with your mod, and replace that one.

For example, the point of Parkour is speed and mobility. So giant weapons, big shields and weighted armor would not go well with this, so one of those three could be replaced. And if you're looking to add a separate fighting style, odds are you don't need one of the ones that are already in place, so either Destruction magic, one-handed, two-handed or Archery/Marksman can be removed for that.

Personally, I would remove Archery and replace it with the Parkour skiill tree. You're making a character that's meant for close combat, so a ranged weapon like bows wouldn't be familiar with them, and its location between Warrior and Thief is the most logical, as the skill applies to both (just like Archery does).

Then I'd replace either the Heavy Armor or the Two-Handed option with the Unarmed/Close-Combat skill tree, as trying to scale a wall with a big set of metal armor or a big hammer wouldn't exactly be easy, but shields should still be an option.

Or, if you can add some perks similar to those in Blocking but more akin to movement (eg: Dodging Arrows, Evasive Maneuvers for avoiding power blows and Dive/roll ), it'd make a good replacement for shields.

Yeah I was thinking just adding perks to skill trees already there, say for instance:

Block could have two paths to follow, one for actually physically blocking, and one for dodging and evasion.

Stealth could also be this way, one path for sneaking and moving along the ground, and one for parkour and moving swiftly up and over everything. Kind of like the smithing tree has light and heavy paths.

EDIT: Honestly I want to learn how to implement this stuff into the game myself, as complicated as modding is. Thing is I'm no good at the technical side of things (Coding, model animation, etc.) I'm mostly better at coming up with ideas and doing conceptual artwork/stories, etc. If I could get some good modders together and learn more about the CK myself then I could see this easily becoming a reality.

Edited by Agonhath

That's a clever idea, just replacing the perks rather than the entire skill. Of course, now you have to pick and choose which perks to keep or replace, which gives many more difficult options and decisions to make.

EDIT: I'm in the exact same boat as you. I have some good ideas (see my Zelda and Silver Hand threads), but I have absolutely no skill or experience in doing mods myself.

Edited by SirSilverscreen

So you can't add more to the tree? Surely there's some way to do that?

Well, you can, but it can make navigation through the skill trees a pain. I have two of them added already (one for forging armored robes and another for making silver weapons) in the Smithing skill, and it's hard to find the right way to get to the perks to add them.

Edited by SirSilverscreen