How to turn an .obj for a face into a racemenu face?

cwc40

I have a .obj file and a .dds that I'd like to use as a face, but I'm struggling to turn it into a face in racemenu.

I've been using the face to skyrim tool (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/41094), but as I don't have the paid ($299!) version of FaceGen I couldn't change the underlying model set when generating my obj.

So I'm trying to work out how to do this "after the fact" - e.g. create an .obj using the free version of FaceGen, then try and retrofit the model onto the obj. My understanding of the model is that it has all the armature/mechanical aspects of the model. I guess I need to rig my .obj with an underlying reference model?

I've got a reference model from Face to Skyrim. But I'm struggling to find the steps to replace the mesh on the reference model with my own obj.

My end goal is to create a follower with a face generated from a photo, whilst avoiding paying the $299 for FaceGen modeller pro, and learning how to model along the way (as I think I'll need to know this to tackle the hair...)

Any good tips/guides, specifically about doing heads and replacing meshes from reference files?