Freezes in combat

Contrast01

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. I am having a very annoying problem concerning the game of the year edition of Morrowind. Whenever an enemy detects me or dies, the game freezes for about 3-5 seconds. I do not have any mods installed and reinstalling the game doesn't seem to help in any way. I've had this problem for quite some time and I've tried to search for a solution, but haven't found any.

My system specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64-bit

8Gb RAM

Intel i5 3,0 Ghz

AMD Radeon 7950

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I am having the exact same problem with the game of the year edition of Oblivion.

Edited by Contrast01

It looks like permissions problem. Make sure you have Admin control over Morrowind. This is not the same as being logged-in as the Admin.

If it doesn't work, it might be DEP problem. Follow the instructions here to add all morrowind related EXEs to the exception list.

It looks like permissions problem. Make sure you have Admin control over Morrowind. This is not the same as being logged-in as the Admin.

If it doesn't work, it might be DEP problem. Follow the instructions here to add all morrowind related EXEs to the exception list.

None of those things seemed to help. I tried the DEP thing and restarted my PC but it's still freezing. Thanks anyway though.

• 8 months later...

I've finally found a way to fix the problem. It turns out that the combat itself isn't the problem. The problem is the music changing, whenever you enter and exit combat the music changes from exploration to battle music. To fix the problem just delete the Exploration and Battle folders in Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\Data Files\Music

Needless to say you won't have any music while playing the game after doing this but atleast you can play without it freezing everytime you enter and exit combat.

I don't know if this fix works for Oblivion aswell, but I'll give it a try sometime soon.

• 5 years later...