Epic Games Modding - A Techical Solution

Nakaka

I had my hand at this yesterday and found a solution. This solution assumes you already have Frosty Mod Manager, and have attempted to launch the game with your imported mods. (this creates a necessary "ModData" folder)

Backstory
Recently EA decided to update Origin to require the use of EpicGamesLauncher.exe to launch Battlefront II.
Earlier versions of Origin doesn't need EpicGamesLauncher at all. Although nothing's technically preventing you from using the earlier Origin, you cannot play Battlefront II with friends. With the new version of Origin, Origin launches EALink.exe, which talks to EpicGamesLauncher.exe, and will not carry over the "-datapath" required to load mods.

Solution Part 1 (Optional? See *Note)

1. Open CMD.exe (from start menu) and go fullscreen so you can see it better
  2. Paste (without quotes): "WMIC path win32_process get Caption,Commandline"
  3. Launch Battlefront II from Epic
  4. Press enter inside CMD.exe
  5. Look for EALink.exe in the list. If you see it, you have all the information you need. Copy the whole line to Word/Notepad for reference. You can copy text from CMD.exe by selecting the text, then right-clicking it.

If you don't see EALink.exe in the list, it isn't running, so you pressed enter too late/early.

Solution Part 2

1. Open notepad.exe (from start menu) and paste this line of text to it (INCLUDING quotes):
    "[PATH_TO_ORIGIN]\EALink.exe" "link2ea://launchgame/MtMassive?AUTH_PASSWORD=[AUTHPASS]&AUTH_TYPE=exchangecode&epicusername=[EPICUSERNAME]&epicuserid=[EPICUSERID]&epiclocale=en&theme=sws&platform=epic&Hotfix=go& -datapath %22[DATAPATH]%22"
  2. Replace [AUTHPASS], [EPICUSERNAME], and [EPICUSERID] with the information you gathered from CMD.exe earlier.
  3. Replace [DATAPATH] with something like: C:\Games\Origin\STAR WARS Battlefront II\ModData
  4. Replace [PATH_TO_ORIGIN] with something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin
  5. Open another CMD.exe (from start menu)
  6. Paste the notepad's text into CMD.exe (right-click -> paste)
  7. Press enter to launch the game.

*Note: It might be that [EPICUSERNAME] and [EPICUSERID] can be blank, and [AUTHPASS], though necessary, can be 0... epic.

Solution #1

Running this script accomplishes the same thing as Solution #2.
You must bypass any anti-virus prompts.
If you downloaded with Firefox, you must un-hide Windows file extensions, then rename the extension to ".cmd" instead of ".cmd.html"

Solution #2

1. Open Epic & Origin
  2. Open notepad (from start menu) and paste in this line of text (INCLUDING quotes):
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\EALink.exe" "link2ea://launchgame/MtMassive?AUTH_PASSWORD=0&AUTH_TYPE=exchangecode&epicusername=&epicuserid=&epiclocale=en&theme=sws&platform=epic&Hotfix=go& -datapath %%22DATAPATH%%22"
  3. Replace DATAPATH with something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\STAR WARS Battlefront II\ModData
  4. Save the file (to your desktop) as Battlefront.cmd
  5. Double-click Battlefront.cmd to launch the game.
  • If Origin pops up but the game doesn't open, your DATAPATH is probably wrong.
    • There is no backslash at the end.
    • The "%%22" is necessary.
  • If the game still doesn't launch, or you get a error, you have a bad mod. Uncheck all mods and try again.
  • Whenever you uncheck mods within Frosty, you MUST press "►Launch" to apply the changes.

Thanks to Bread for helping me test.

Edited by Nakaka

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I can confirm that this works!!! I hope you have a prosperous week!

I had my hand at this yesterday and found a solution. This solution assumes you already have Frosty Mod Manager, and have attempted to launch the game with your imported mods. (this creates a necessary "ModData" folder)

Backstory
Recently EA decided to update Origin to require the use of EpicGamesLauncher.exe to launch Battlefront II.
Earlier versions of Origin doesn't need EpicGamesLauncher at all. Although nothing's technically preventing you from using the earlier Origin, you cannot play Battlefront II with friends. If you don't have friends, stop reading and use the earlier version of Origin, because it's an easier method.
With the new version of Origin, Origin launches EALink.exe, which talks to EpicGamesLauncher.exe, and will not carry over the "-datapath" required to load mods.

5. Look for EALink.exe in the list. If you see it, you have all the information you need. Copy the whole line to Word/Notepad for reference. You can copy text from CMD.exe by selecting the text, then right-clicking it.

If you don't see EALink.exe in the list, it isn't running, so you pressed enter too late/early.

Solution Part 2

1. Open notepad.exe (from start menu) and paste this line of text to it (INCLUDING quotes):
    "[PATH_TO_ORIGIN]\EALink.exe" "link2ea://launchgame/MtMassive?AUTH_PASSWORD=[AUTHPASS]&AUTH_TYPE=exchangecode&epicusername=[EPICUSERNAME]&epicuserid=[EPICUSERID]&epiclocale=en&theme=sws&platform=epic&Hotfix=go& -datapath %22[DATAPATH]%22"
  2. Replace [AUTHPASS], [EPICUSERNAME], and [EPICUSERID] with the information you gathered from CMD.exe earlier.
  3. Replace [DATAPATH] with something like: C:\Games\Origin\STAR WARS Battlefront II\ModData

*Note: It might be that [EPICUSERNAME] and [EPICUSERID] can be blank, and [AUTHPASS], though necessary, can be 0... epic.

If Origin pops up but the game doesn't open, you made a typo or your [DATAPATH] is wrong.

Thanks to Bread for helping me test my solution. Thread should be updated when someone posts a better solution or creates a program to automate this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I can confirm that this works!!! I hope you have a prosperous week!

Backstory
Earlier versions of Origin doesn't need EpicGamesLauncher at all. Although nothing's technically preventing you from using the earlier Origin, you cannot play Battlefront II with friends. If you don't have friends, stop reading and use the earlier version of Origin, because it's an easier method.
With the new version of Origin, Origin launches EALink.exe, which talks to EpicGamesLauncher.exe, and will not carry over the "-datapath" required to load mods.

Solution Part 2

If Origin pops up but the game doesn't open, you made a typo or your [DATAPATH] is wrong.

Thanks to Bread for helping me test my solution. Thread should be updated when someone posts a better solution or creates a program to automate this.

I had this work once then it stopped working. It wont even start origin now, any idea what I could do?

The easier solution worked

Backstory
Earlier versions of Origin doesn't need EpicGamesLauncher at all. Although nothing's technically preventing you from using the earlier Origin, you cannot play Battlefront II with friends. With the new version of Origin, Origin launches EALink.exe, which talks to EpicGamesLauncher.exe, and will not carry over the "-datapath" required to load mods.

Solution Part 2

Easier Solution

1. Open Epic & Origin
  2. Open notepad.exe (from start menu) and paste in this line of text (INCLUDING quotes):
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\EALink.exe" "link2ea://launchgame/MtMassive?AUTH_PASSWORD=0&AUTH_TYPE=exchangecode&epicusername=epicuserid=&epiclocale=en&theme=sws&platform=epic&Hotfix=go& -datapath %22[DATAPATH]%22"
  3. Replace [DATAPATH] with something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\STAR WARS Battlefront II\ModData
  4. Open another CMD.exe (from start menu)
  5. Paste the notepad's text into CMD.exe (right-click -> paste)
  6. Press enter to launch the game.

If Origin pops up but the game doesn't open, your [DATAPATH] is probably wrong, or Epic thinks the game's already running.

Edited by TheSec3rtary

I have to start Epic and Origin, then use the command I saved earlier with my Epic ID and stuff. It works reliably since the solution was posted.

If the EALink.exe isn't coming up in CMD, just keep spamming the command while the game is getting loaded, and find it with ctrl+f.

Hope someone skilled comes up with a batch file for automating the process.

Edited by Evanitis