Can't Leave Solstheim (Infinite Loading Screen Error)

Deleted3765355User

too many mods = Loadscreenfreeeeeeeeze..

did you happen to have modified your uGridsToLoad setting on top of all that? If you did, reset that to the default (5... and exteriorcellbuffer to 36) before trying other methods. You have to do a process to reset it back to 5, if you did... otherwise your save wont open at all.

Lotta mods + uGrids > 5 = skyrim engine dies.

Edited by prod80

I used to have this kind of issue but now even with 200 mods running it's perfectly fine.

I think it's a memory issue or a LOD issue. It happened a lot when I was running all the ultra HD textures but then my memory usage reached almost 3Gb in interiors ... When I erased those mods it started to decrease to 1.5Gb in exteriors. But then I wasn't able to go to Solstheim (infinite loading screen after talking to the sailor at Windhelm). That's when I remembered I had a HD set of LODs (Highquality LODs or something), with this single mod out of my list everything run perfectly fine and I don't have infinite loading screens anymore.

Edit : I have uGrids at 8 BTW.

Edited by Evander3

I used to have this kind of issue but now even with 200 mods running it's perfectly fine.

I think it's a memory issue or a LOD issue. It happened a lot when I was running all the ultra HD textures but then my memory usage reached almost 3Gb in interiors ... When I erased those mods it started to decrease to 1.5Gb in exteriors. But then I wasn't able to go to Solstheim (infinite loading screen after talking to the sailor at Windhelm). That's when I remembered I had a HD set of LODs (Highquality LODs or something), with this single mod out of my list everything run perfectly fine and I don't have infinite loading screens anymore.

Edit : I have uGrids at 8 BTW.

Uh-huh. I had exactly the same problem as OP, and removing Ethatron's High Quality LOD's fixed it for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 180 Mods and discovered the Ultra HD texture removal info.. Decided to also use the Stuck In Solstheim mod and also lower max particles and decals a bit more. It finally worked.

Addendum> I also decided to uninstall Solstheim Climate Overhaul and Climates Of Tamriel.. Everything seems to have cleared up from there..

Edited by Aurihazuma

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got the same loading error and after much trial and error I found the culprits (for me at least).

The mods that cause this are:

Summonable Ethereal Chest by Sagittarius22 http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/51679/?

When Vampires Attack by Arthmoor http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/28235/?

None of the other solutions (coc, Stuck In Solstheim-mod or skyrim.ini tweaks) worked for me, only disabling or removing these mods.

Btw. I don´t have Climates of Tamriel, Apocalypse Spells or the other mods people were reporting causing this error. I have 93 mods in my list and adding more mods doesn´t cause the error (unless they are the two pointed out above LOL). My rig is a dual core 3,2 Gb Pentium, 8GB RAM, 1Gb Graphic and I run the game quite smoothly (high resolution setting but no grass) so it probably isn´t a memoryrelated problem.

Btw 2. When Vampires Attack also seems to cause the Delphine bug where she doesn´t go into the bedroom to give you the Windcaller horn, thus preventing the questline to continue. Removing the mod solved the issue.

EDIT: Seems I was a bit hasty naming those mods. Further testing revealed that even with them uninstalled, I would get loading error, although not every time I tested. The results are inconclusive. I´ll be back when I know more.

Edited by ric7202

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Having just bought Skyrim a couple of weeks ago, I didn't have that many mods loaded. Less than 50, closer 40 and I also locked up trying to take the boat back. Luckily the first thing I tried worked, actually I tried three things at the same time;

1. Changed uLockedObjectMapLOD=8 to uLockedObjectMapLOD=5

2. Moved AFT to the top of the esp list

3. Unselected one 'Perk-Up' mod (Block) that Wrye Bash did not recognize.

One of those three did it for me. I don't think that the number of mods is the problem, I think it's some combination of mod factors that causes this.

But I would like to thank the people posting in this thread for giving me some ideas of things to try. THANKZ! :dance:

• 1 month later...

SKYRIM UNABLE TO LEAVE SOLSTHEIM BEST FOUND SOLUTION:

If you are on this page, you probably have experienced this problem on your game.

I propose this solution I found;

*Note - This only works on PC, I have Skyrim on PC and PS3 with ALL the DLC's for BOTH. But my PS3 does not have this problem, my PC does however.

*Note - I have over 50 mods and I can confirm it is NOT any mods that cause the problem, it's the game itself.

I have written a short and long version, if you want to understand why your doing these steps and typing all this weird stuff, I recommend following the longer instructions.

SUMMARIZED VERSION:

1) DO NOT try to fast travel back to Skyrim or go by boat if you've experienced this problem once already.

2) Open the Command Prompt (If you don't know how, you should be reading the more in depth method!) and type "coc qasmoke".

3) Once the qasmoke room has loaded, open the "Wait" option and wait for however long you want. But a note, I waited 24 hours (24 seconds in real life) so I am not 100% sure if anything less than that will actually do the trick. Despite this I am pretty sure it's not how long you wait, it's just whether you do or don't.

4) After waiting, open up the Command Prompt again and type "coc Riverwood".

5) It will begin to load again and may take a bit longer than usual. Do not worry though. After about 30 seconds or so (Well that was how long it took for me) you should be loaded into Riverwood.

6) Save your game and just to be safe, reboot Skyrim. DONE

IN DEPTH VERSION:

1) If you have the same problem as me, you have probably unwillingly entered Solstheim thinking everything is fine. But no, you cannot LEAVE Solstheim by fast travel OR boat. Entering seems fine, but leaving will give a looping load screen.

*IMPORTANT NOTE - (When this infinite loading screen appears, no matter how long you leave it, the music and loading animations will continue as normal. But en-fact your Skyrim has crashed, you may notice you cannot close it or tab out properly. Also Task Manager will say "Not Responding").

2) How I avoid this infinite loading screen is by opening the Command Prompt for Skyrim (Press [`] The button below Esc).

3) Type "coc qasmoke" and you will teleported to a room that looks like a dungeon. Yes, feel free to have a look around, it's rather interesting in there. You may think "Cool, I'm out of Solstheim" BUT NO! Technically your character is still loaded into Solstheim because you have not properly been loading into another area. "Qasmoke" is just a shortcut, a dud, a temporary place to stay. "Qasmoke" is not classed a place to be loaded into, but more of an interface you can actually walk around in (like an options screen or main menu). So for example, it's like standing in the town center but then putting a box over your head, your still in town but it looks different.

4) Now I have seen other people talk about "Waiting" but you do not have to be so reliant on it. Once in "qasmoke" press "T" and wait for at least 24 hours (24 Seconds in real life). I found this to do the trick. I get the feeling it's not how long you wait that helps the situation, it's just whether you actually do it or not. And please, be patient!

5) Once you've waited, re-enter the Command Prompt and this time type "coc Riverwood". Hit enter. Now I teleported to Riverwood but I get the feeling any area that isn't a city will do. I believe this is why people were saying this whole method didn't work because they were teleporting to Whiterun, do not "coc" cities. Riverwood is not a city because; A) You do not have to load it when walking into it unlike cities. and B) It does not show up NO MATTER WHAT on the map. You'll notice the cities do.

6) This is more of a note but is VERY IMPORTANT. The loading time from "qasmoke" to Riverwood WILL be slightly longer than usual. I'd wait at least 1 minute and if it hasn't worked by then, these steps have not been completed properly OR this method just hasn't worked for you. Generally if any game takes well over 3 minutes to load something, it has crashed. To officially find out if a game is actually not doing what it appears to be i.e. Showing a loading screen when en-fact it's crashed, pres Ctrl-Alt-Del and open the Task Manager. If it says "Not responding", like I said before, it's crashed OR is crashing and is trying to fix itself (Usually failing to do so).

7) You should reload into Riverwood. Save your game and just to be safe, reboot Skyrim.

-I ended up writing a lot, but I thought I'd go through it properly so it makes sense to all you lot. I hoped this helped and thank's for reading!

And to show some thanks, please check out my Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/ducksvspenguins

• 2 years later...

I found the solution on the Bethesda forum: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/46465/? This mod blocks "Infinite Loading Screen" bug and game freezing during play.

Rather than an error of load, "Infinite Loading Screen" is caused by an error in memory allocation.
This mod modify the function of memory allocation and block all freezing due to memory allocation failure.