Specific Mod Tags Disabled by Author

moho25

Wait a sec, might this be a misunderstanding of how or why the tags got "disabled"? Or a misunderstanding of the difference in the author's intent and the rules of the tagging "vote" system?

moho25, you said you've seen the tags with 99 votes. Those are the themes or categories that the author chose to apply to their mod: The author voted for (selected "rep up" for) those categories. Similarly, the author voted against (selected "rep down" for) those categories that appear in red and that a user can't select.

The author isn't necessarily saying or even aware that the users can't vote on certain tags. The system is set up such that once the author votes, their vote counts more than a user's vote.

So it's not the author that's preventing you from selecting the tag. The tagging system itself (or the Matrix...) is preventing it. It's not democratic, nor was it designed or intended to be.

So the author of the mod you pointed out probably isn't trying to say "Hah, this way those silly anti-anime folks will see my mod even if they exclude the anime category from their searches!" The author is more likely saying "I don't think my mod has anime themes."

tl;dr

The author just chose the tags that they thought applied or did not apply to their mod. The author didn't necessarily intend or even know that users would then be unable to vote on those tags.

Edited by chevenga

Given that "anime" is usually troll code for "crap" I don't blame people for nerfing that tag. Anyway that isn't anime, breasts and the ability to use soap doesn't make a character anime.

@chevenga -- Thank you for at least attempting to provide an explanation. I appreciate it.

Whether or not the mod is or isn't laced with anime-flavor really is not the point. My point is about the usefulness of the tag feature if the mod author has the ability to "turn off" tags that do accurately describe the mod. I could have easily had the same experience while looking at another mod...but I didn't.

As a side-note, I find it interesting that I am immediately attacked, and the assumption made that I have no idea what anime is and that I must hate it. I was watching anime back in the early 80s when it was still referred to as "Japanimation". I've read more than a few manga, though I will certainly not claim to be an expert.

My OP was much more about the issue with the TAG feature, that it was about anime. I have little time or desire to spend my time trolling forums spreading..."anime hate". Especially considering I have no hate for it, and I have never once trolled.

With that it seems that the Nexus Staff don't feel the need to respond to this particular piece of feedback, and since the example I have used seems to be taken in the wrong manner, I will not be posting further.

You're right, this is not about whether it is anime or not, nor is it about how many agree/disagree with you on this, it's solely about your opinion against the author's.

But Nexus Staff 'did' respond. They do not, never did and never will, deny the decisions of the authors, unless they explicitly break some rules.

Just because it is 'your' opinion "anime" would be a fitting tag, and no matter how many others agree or disagree, 'the author' didn't share this opinion. And only his or her opinion counts in the end.

If you started playing the game your opinions would be above the individual authors' now, what do you think would happen right next? Correct, they'll leave this place and take their mods with'em.

Opposing authors will only ever make 'you' loose. They don't have anything to loose by not sharing. Can you say the same about not being able to use any mods?

And just for the records, this is only 'my' opinion on the matter. And as much as your's won't matter to the author, mine won't matter to anybody else but me.

@chevenga -- Thank you for at least attempting to provide an explanation. I appreciate it.

Whether or not the mod is or isn't laced with anime-flavor really is not the point. My point is about the usefulness of the tag feature if the mod author has the ability to "turn off" tags that do accurately describe the mod. I could have easily had the same experience while looking at another mod...but I didn't.

As a side-note, I find it interesting that I am immediately attacked, and the assumption made that I have no idea what anime is and that I must hate it. I was watching anime back in the early 80s when it was still referred to as "Japanimation". I've read more than a few manga, though I will certainly not claim to be an expert.

My OP was much more about the issue with the TAG feature, that it was about anime. I have little time or desire to spend my time trolling forums spreading..."anime hate". Especially considering I have no hate for it, and I have never once trolled.

With that it seems that the Nexus Staff don't feel the need to respond to this particular piece of feedback, and since the example I have used seems to be taken in the wrong manner, I will not be posting further.

Allowing people to apply misleading tags to mods would be even worse, certainly applying a anime tag to that mod would be misleading. Imagine spending many hours making a perfectly lore friendly mod only to have a few people decide it isn't, the lore unfriendly tag gets applied and then it's removed from the search results of those only interested in lore friendly stuff, both the end user and the modder miss out.

You can't keep insisting that you don't want to go into a 'debate' about whether that mod is 'anime-flavour', all the while repeatedly -insisting- that calling the mod 'anime' is an 'accurate description' regardless of contrary opinions. This sort of childish attitude does not foster meaningful discussion.

But the real problem is that you are not thinking this through. What's to stop a bunch of disgruntled players from tagging the' Unofficial Skyrim Patch' as a 'joke/just for fun' mod? You might not think the USKP is a 'joke/humour' mod but do you think if someone insist that it "accurately describes" that mod but is not interested in turning it into a 'debate', that it would somehow be sufficient to justify that tag? Do you realize why users can only un/endorse mods on the Nexus, not give it 'negative ratings'? It's because in the past, it's been shown that people will abuse Nexus features and use the interwebs to do petty, stupid things.

Edited by ripple

If I believe a mod author is abusing the tag system, I hide the mod - removing it from public view until he cleans up the tags. I have done this exactly One time so far - that one marked every tag with the idea that would increase exposure. Somehow it didn't quite work that way. :P

Most authors do want the tags to fairly represent what they intended.

I have seen more problems with consortiums of users ganging up on a modder and giving bogus tags because they didn't like the subject matter and thought bogus tags would "Show Them". Show them what I'm not sure, possibly the immaturity of the haters?

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but as I understand it users have no rights to tag files unless the modder allows it. When we edit the attributes we decide if users will be allowed to tag the files, just like we can allow or disallow comments and endorsements.

That’s the system that is in place, so in no way would a modder be subverting the system by voting a 99 negative on a tag, unless they do something really stupid like in the case that bben pointed out.

IMO even if a majority of users thought a mod was anime, if the author of the mod says it’s not anime then it shouldn’t be tagged as anime.

I also don’t like the idea of people trying to manipulate tagging and categories to limit the overall visibility of mods they personally don’t like. I’m not saying that’s the case in this thread, but I see it over and over again, and it’s always aimed at mods catering to female characters or NPCs. Sometimes people are very direct in making these demands, and sometimes they are deceptive and use a lot of flowery language, but the intent is always the same, to attack a type of mod that they feel offended by.