[WIP] Russell, a new companion by Someguy

someguy2000

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank Jesus-Zimmer!

Your prayers are answered. :biggrin:

Hey there someguy. How does a new worldspace fit into a companion mod? Like, can you go there without him? How big is it?

It's a small, scrubland valley set southwest of Searchlight. The first time you enter the valley, you must have Russell in your entourage. If you you wish to return later on, there are no restrictions.

As for size, it's ~140 cells. I suppose about 70-80 of the cells will be accessible (it's rugged).

Well hot damn, I have been away for a while.

Exciting news at the very least. Seems to have been a huge influx of male companions over the past few months and, well without trying to be a dick to them, I think this will top the rest by miles.

I'm not gonna ride on you about writing or character creation, I think you've proved that you're above pretty much all on the nexus when it comes to storytelling. All I will say is... please don't make him Boone 2.0. I'll be honest, the whole "veteran NCR ranger" thing doesn't fill me with excitment, but, I know I'm in the extreme minority there.

This is all coming from me as a player, not a critiquing modder. I trust that you'll do some interesting stuff with him, and make the ranger tag work for him rather than against him. It's a big ask, you've probably gone for the toughest character base as far as making an interesting character goes, but if you pull it off, it could be awesome.

@Mishaxhi,

Good to see you on the forums!

I've still got a lot of work left on Russell, so it remains to be seen how he'll measure up. I appreciate the kind words, though.

The thought of "Boone 2.0" is something that's been bugging me throughout the writing process, but I think there are some substantive distinctions between them. I caught myself writing some spoiler-ish content, so I'll leave it at this - Russell has nothing but contempt for the NCR.

Thanks for the feedback, brother.

All I'm saying is, I hope being a ranger doesn't completely define his character, and that something else shines through. Whether he's a drunk, a fiend, a gambling addict, something to break through the stoic mask that pretty much every ranger in the game wears. If he shows his human side, even if it takes some pestering on the side of the player, then I'm sure he'll be great.

All I'm saying is, I hope being a ranger doesn't completely define his character, and that something else shines through. Whether he's a drunk, a fiend, a gambling addict, something to break through the stoic mask that pretty much every ranger in the game wears. If he shows his human side, even if it takes some pestering on the side of the player, then I'm sure he'll be great.

His time with the Desert Rangers is a significant component in his characterization, but he's had other experiences which shape his personality and beliefs. Here's some additional, spoilery-y information:

Russell was born into the Fredonians (he half-jokingly calls himself "Last of the Fredonians"), was enslaved as a child, and eventually sold to an abusive, depraved Centurion, Titus Vulcanus (who prides himself on using fire-based weaponry). Russell is terribly profane (even by my standards), drinks heavily, and is prone to fits of irrational rage. He stubbornly maintains skepticism of all the major factions, and has a strongly libertarian outlook (as would be fitting in Nevada) :biggrin: .

@ncrvet,

There's nothing like having your face slowly massaged by a shiskebab to alter your complexion. :devil:

Oh my, this sounds exciting! I have to figure out if letting Russell and Ramona run wild in the Mojave together would be a good idea or if I should start a new game for him. I could easily see them becoming roving caravan pirates and living like royalty, but despite being together leading a lonely, tortured existence.