Quest / story design: How to avoid the "Am I the only one who does things?" - feeling?

YouDoNotKnowMyName - did the Combat Stalkers mod not resolve your issues with the existing 'now not so random' encounter system?

I don't actually use that mod, but I don't have an issue with the "random encounter system" (I am not one of those people who wants combat all the time.).

It's just one of those "side effects" of playing a game for a long time ...

Did you ever consider using a 'failure to respond' (and resulting settlement attack) as a trigger for your 'hostile workshops' mod? Seems logical to me...

No, failure to respond is the most hated mechanic in the extremly flawed base game attack system.

Plus less than 1% of the current playing population is actually comfortable loosing a workshop, so thats not a hot seller as predicted by the Bartle player model.

"How can I avoid the feeling that "the player character is the only one that gets things done"?"

It's because the player character 99% of the time IS the only one that gets things done. It's even like that in MMOs. You can certainly give purpose to NPCs and have them do meaningful things, it would definitely be a change from the norm.

"How can I avoid the feeling that "the player character is the only one that gets things done"?"

It's because the player character 99% of the time IS the only one that gets things done. It's even like that in MMOs. You can certainly give purpose to NPCs and have them do meaningful things, it would definitely be a change from the norm.

I know ...

That's why I am asking about this, to see what ideas other people have to avoid that ...